“Almost perfect palace by the snow...”

Gstaad Palace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed ten days at the Palace in January. I was scared at first as I remember this hotel 40 years ago and its reputation of stuffy, snobby and selectively efficient depending on who was the guest. I must say that I was agreeably surprised and overall very satisfied with my stay at the Palace. First the rooms & bathrooms are first rate, very comfortable, large with free internet service. The hotel rooms and lounges are pretty appointed with a chic rustic swiss feel; the SPA is very nice, first class as well as the restaurants and lounges. As far as food and service, I felt that le Grand Restaurant was the best restaurant of the hotel; a very nice menu, very efficient service and a maitre D with his staff that knows his business. The other restaurant "Le Grill" was somewhat a step under in service with a limited menu and an unjustified price hike versus the main restaurant; near le Gril, you have a bar where you can have a drink and listen to a singer in the evening. Gildo's, the italian restaurant by the name of the longest serving head of the restaurants, is serving classic italian fare; service was efficient and the food was good. La fromagerie, finally is the last restaurant at Palace and one that I would skip. The service is below what is expected and you can find better in Gstaad or surroundings if you are looking for a fix in raclette or fondue. In conclusion, the Palace in Gstaad is a very nice hotel; they were minor quirks during my stay, but the overall experience was positive. If you are looking for a dressy, chic' vacation in this exclusive resort and don't mind paying Palace prices, go for it; you won't be disappointed; they will know on how to pamper you and your wallet will be lighter after your stay...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 11, 2014

My family stayed in a suite at the Gstaad Palace from July 10-14 and we had the most wonderful time.

Everything at the hotel was perfect. At check in everyone we met was friendly and helpful. They provided everything we needed as soon as we asked: directions, restaurant recommendations, a shop to buy some warmer jackets.

Our room had just been refurbished and it was beautiful. The beds were comfortable, the living room furniture was gorgeous and the bathrooms and closet were perfection. The closet was enormous and very well lit.. a huge plus.

We ordered room service almost every night and the servers would set our table as if we were in the formal dining room and then bring our food up. I don't think anything was amiss. And room service was so fast that my husband and I joked that we thought perhaps there was a secret kitchen for each room because someone would be at the door within two minutes of a call for food or coffee.

The hotel was not stuffy, although we were there off season. We thoroughly enjoyed every staff member we met and the manager made time to introduce himself during his stay.

I cannot think of a single negative about this amazing hotel. It is my favorite in the world and sets a very high bar for all others. I should have left this review sooner.

Thank you Palace for an amazing trip!!!

Room Tip: Mountain view and refurbished if possible
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelGirlABC
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I spent 3 nights of my honeymoon in Gstaad Palace. We loved our stay there and my wife was over the moon the entire time. The Champagne we received on arrival as a wedding gift might have been a factor. We had a great time over-all. The service was excellent and the rooms were really nice - if a little cosy. The food was excellent and the hotel even comped some meals for us (probably because we were on our honeymoon). The staff is courteous and extremely helpful (they even helped my wife out when the soles from her shoes came off).
If I ever visit Switzerland again I'm definitely staying in the Gstaad Palace.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NamanG85
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have been here since i was a child it is an institution .

Just about to celebrate its 100 year anniversary it remains one of the best resort hotels in switzerland .

The staff are very attentive never forget a face and will do all they can to make your visit extra special ! Well done Palace here is to the next 100!!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JonathonSwitzerland
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This review is of 2 restaurants in this hotel (although we did stay there) - there was no entry for them on Tripadvisor restaurant section so have to be file under 'hotel' review which would have preferred to have avoided as I concentrate purely on restaurant reviews.
Having established that , firstly The Grand restaurant : Decor a bit dated however a reasonably solid restaurant with nothing special to write home about.
Second Le Grill : Quite a bit more expensive than The Grand but the service is superior with a more formal feeling.However the demarcation line between both restaurants space wise is very fine , one practically on top of the other , so you might ask why bother with Le Grill when both probably share ther same kitchen ?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

When I arrive at the Palace I feel home. The Staff is so nice and the Hotel is so beautiful. The family Scherz is taking care about the hotel in a very nice way. They are also present at the Hotel. The SPA is really big and after a fantastic day in the mountains you come back to the Hotel and enjoy the SPA, go to Bar and Restaurant and there is always a Party at the house-club Greengo. I can really recommend the house. Thanks to the great staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sammarste
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed there as a couple. The receptionist, the concierge, the housekeeping manager as well as all the staff that took care of us were quite professional and smiling. The room (deluxe room), recently refurbished, was nice and clean. The only minor drawback in this warm day was the lack of air con. The spa is a major asset - the hot bubbling bath outdoor, the luxurious cloakrooms as well as the amenities (tea, dried fruits, nuts) available in the central room are extremely pleasant and truly help to relax. The main bar was fine with a nice selection of cocktails - they had no problem making one that was not on the list. The whisky selection, however, will not satisfy a true whisky fanatic (many standard OBs). Breakfast was great (berries!) apart from the small pancakes which were quite overcooked. All in all an extremely enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kevin P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gstaad
The Alpina Gstaad
Hotel Arc-en-ciel
Hotel Arc-en-ciel
#8 of 21 in Gstaad
ERMITAGE Wellness- & Spa-Hotel

Been to Gstaad Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!