“we love Gstaad & Gstaaderhof”

Gstaaderhof Swiss Quality Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Singapore
“we love Gstaad & Gstaaderhof”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife & I spent 4 days in Gstaad and stayed at Hotel Gstaaderhof. Selected the hotel after reading several reviews. Rates came with half-board and 3-day Gstaad Pass. Without request, hotel offered pick-up service from train station. Its location is just off the Promenade & 5 minutes from train station. Gstaad offers great outing activities like hiking and discovering the surrounding villages. Visit to Glacier 3000 is a must. For hiking we took the cable car to Wispile and hiked to Lauenensee then to Lauenen.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed June 22, 2009

The Gstaaderhof is about a kilometer from the railway station, and I had to take a taxi for 11 Swiss francs (US$10) to get there because there is no telephone number or e-mail address to notify them when I would be arriving, because they do have shuttle service. But that's the worst thing I can say. My room was immaculate, with double bed and shower in the bathtub. Nice wood decor, and even a sizeable chocolate ladybug near my pillow. It has TV in German, French, Italian, and CNN International in English. Friendly staff, and my price was a little more reasonable because I dug around to find one. Gstaad is a resort for the upper, upper crust. I left after only one night before they found out how much money I *don't* have. But it was fun.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Reviewed October 21, 2008

This is an excellent 4* hotel close to the centre of Gstaad.

There is ample underground parking under the hotel. Rooms, though fairly standard in shape, are very well maintained, modern and spacious, with views out to the Gstaad Palace hotel on the hill beyond.
I especially liked the key system where you could exchange your lead weight key for a lighter version for going out with on a board next to reception.

Gstaad centre is literally 2 minutes away from the hotel & there are late trains to/from Chateau D'Oex for a more adventurous evening out.

A great destination to see the Berner Oberland from & one I would certainly come back to if I pass by again.

• Liked — Location, Key system, Parking, Modern Standards
  • Disliked — Very little
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We were planning a 2 couple, week-long skiing holiday since October 2007 and were looking for a good value-for-money hotel in Gstaad. We contacted the Gstaaderhof after seeing the website, booked an Appartment over the phone (bedroom with adjoining sitting area and balcony plus a connecting smaller bedroom with its own bathroom), and confirmed via e-mail. Isabelle at the reception was very helpful and answered all our questions both in writing and over the phone.

Hotel, Reception, Rooms, Parking
The hotel is located in a very convenient spot, right next to the Promenade (pedestrian-only street of Gstaad), and close to two lifts (Eggli and Wispile). However, you will need transport to get to the "larger" areas such as Saanenmosser, Zweissimen and Diablerets (Glacier 3000).
We arrived on Sunday March 23rd and were offered a welcome drink. The staff was very helpful and provided all necessary information both on the spot and through a printed "handbook". Our room(s) were on the 5th floor, with the balcony offering a beautiful view of the nearby "peaks" (Eggli and Wispile lifts) as well as the mountains (see photo). The lift is very quick and efficient.
The rooms were very pleasant and fully equipped (mini-bar, TV although only in German), hair-drier and full toiletries in the bathrooms), clean and nicely decorated. The "big" room was not very warm but a call at the reception remedied this almost immediately. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned daily, even if you overslept and left the room late. The place is very-very quiet even when fully booked (as in our case).
My only personal problem was that I'm 188cm tall and our bathroom (being on the 5th floor) had the tub on the "short" side of the slanting roof! As a result, I could only shower sitting down or bending my head! Not a major inconvenience but something to keep in mind for rooms that are located on the sides of the top floors.
The apartment's cooker and small refrigerator (separate from the mini-bar), are actually activated from the front desk as you have to pay an extra 80CHF for their use (total for the duration of your stay), so you will need to give them your OK.
Outside the hotel there is are parking spaces but beware as these are municipal and you have to pay for them. As such, we preferred the hotel’s underground parking for 13CHF a day which offered better protection from the elements plus you could take the lift straight down and keep your skis in the car. The hotel has a ski room but unfortunately, the racks don't have locks. Also, you cannot walk in the hotel in your ski boots (which is quite sensible). On Sunday 23rd, we did have some trouble finding a parking spot but it was the Catholic Easter Sunday so we can’t complain as the parking works on a first-come, first-served basis and has some reserved spaces. During the week we could actually pick spots.
Smoking is not allowed in the rooms but generally allowed in the restaurants and the bar. In the morning, smoking is prohibited in Muli during breakfast but you can take your coffee and smokes to the sitting-room/fireplace area, which also has some games (backgammon, chess), books and newspapers. As there were guests of at least 3-4 nationalities, the hotel should really consider obtaining some major English, French and/or other language newspapers! The hotel also has a wellness/spa place, pool table and table tennis although we didn’t use them.

Food and Drink
The hotel has two restaurants, with one of them (Muli) also acting as the breakfast area. The breakfast buffet is very good with a selection of hams and cheese (excellent as expected!), jams, yogurts, cereals, boiled eggs and fantastic bread. The staff is very kind and helpful, especially young Michael who speaks excellent English and is as fast as a lightning bolt! The rest of the staff is also very efficient and kind.
The second restaurant (Saagi-Stubli) is the more rustic, traditional Swiss place with fondue and relevant delicacies. The food is good and try both places (especially the Saagi-Stubli), but don't get confined and go around the village. We strongly suggest the Rossli which is a 5 minute walk but book your table in advance as it is almost always packed.
The hotel's bar (Barni) is very nice, cosy and drinks are very-very reasonably priced. To be honest, we didn't even try other places as we were quite happy there.

Other Conveniences
The hotel has a pharmacy right next to its entrance which can come in very handy. The pharmacy is extremely well stocked and includes a wide selection of perfumes and cosmetics, which your significant other will appreciate greatly! Next to the pharmacy is an office and next to that a Cashmere shop which has some very nice stuff. Just across the street there’s a ski shop and a bit further up, a very nice bakery/mini market with all the things you might need if staying in an apartment. Do try the local produce (fantastic cheese and hams!).

The Village and Shopping
Gstaad is a very picturesque village especially the way we experienced it as it snowed from the day of our arrival until Wednesday the 26th. A very Christmas-like feeling at the end of March! Two things that disappointed us were the shop working hours and the discounts. The shops operated under regular Swiss timetable, which means that they close at about 6pm including a 2 or 3-hour break in between (never figured it out)! Normally, you would expect that shops at a ski resort, (especially a well-known one such as this), would stay open late. Although for all intents and purposes it was end-of-season (no free ski bus service, some lifts, pistes and slope bars closed), the discounts were non-existent except for some individual shops! The day before we left (Saturday 29), Intersport began a measly 15% sale on skis/bindings and 30% on jackets/pants. A stark contrast to Val d’Isere which we visited the exact same period 4 years ago and all the shops had 40 (or more) percent sales across the board and were open until 9pm.

Skiing - Snowboarding
We obtained our 6-day ski passes (Top Card) from the hotel's front desk and actually got a better price! On top of the price, you pay a 10CHF deposit which you get back when/if you return the card. A ski bus stop is located right outside the hotel but we were extremely disappointed as the service’s last day was on Monday March 24th!!! Quite unprofessional for a resort of this "status" and I' m not sure if Gstaad Mountain Rides (the lift operator company) or the town of Gstaad is to blame. We were lucky to have a car and move around otherwise we would have a really difficult time getting to the aforementioned areas.
The snow quality is amazing with slush forming at the lower altitudes which was expected for this time of year. At first we tried the lift of Eggli-Gstaad and when we got to the top discovered that the piste leading back to our car was closed! As a result one of us had to take the ski bus from Eggli-Saanen and go get the car. Consequently, go to Eggli-Saanen instead of Eggli-Gstaad if you have a car and take the four-person chair lift. Some of the lift personnel are very helpful and speak English but others are very “local”.
Key spots within the village and at major base lifts have electronic maps which inform you of which lifts are operating as well as the avalanche risks (obviously off-piste). Over the next 6 days we pretty much went to all the major “areas” including the Glacier (Diablerets) which actually opened in the summer of 2007 so it’s brand new. The gondola can hold up to 125 people and the view is truly breathtaking especially going down! (see photos). Generally we were disappointed to find that there are quite a few flat spots which will most probably make you “walk”. This is easier for skiers but an absolute nightmare for snowboarders such as myself. Although you can’t always create slopes, they should at least have a tow-rope for major flats especially considering the “status” of the resort. Again a stark contrast to France which had tow-lines as well as conveyor belts in flat or upslope places.
Otherwise, the place is well organized and there’s a good balance of blue, red and black runs as well as chair and tow-lifts (mostly T-bars). You’ll notice that the mountains have a number of small signs indicating footpaths, mountain-bike runs and so on. As such, be careful of off-piste excursions even if you see tracks you can follow. I had a rather unpleasant experience on Eggli-Saanen as I came full speed down a powder run next to the piste and fell in a 2m deep-2m wide footpath which ran across the hill! That being said, there were runs that were not sufficiently signed and you really didn’t know which way to go. Surprisingly, this depended on the “area”. A big thumbs-down to Rougemont (red slopes mixed with blue, no signs in key intersections) and thumbs-up to Eggli-Saanen and Saanenmosser. This is important considering the length of the pistes and the fact that maybe not everyone in your company is on the same experience level.

Overall
Our experience at the hotel was excellent and we got extremely good value for money. The main things that we would like to see improved are availability of rack locks in the ski room and English and/or other language newspapers.
Food in Gstaad (and Switzerland) is generally expensive. On average we paid 300-350 CHF for four persons but that included 1-2 bottles of wine. However, the food quality is excellent and be sure to try the local dishes (unless you’re worried about your cholesterol!). Personally I was quite happy to see that there weren’t any low-fat dairy products!!
If you’re staying for a week or more and have a car, plan a small trip to the surrounding areas. The roads are excellent and the landscape magnificent. Alternatively, use the train. We took a day trip to Lausanne and Geneva and another afternoon trip to Interlaken (very cheap-touristy like but still a great shopping place!). We used the coastal road (Geneva Lake) in the first case and the mountain roads in the second which took a little longer but was worth the experience. If you go to Lausanne, visit the Notre Dame and the Olympic Museum.
Gstaad is not as snotty as its reputation suggests yet not as relaxed as other less “glamorous”, more “hardcore” resorts. I would definitely stay at (and suggest) the Gstaaderhof again and return to Gstaad for an overall Alps experience (snowboarding, food, trips and sightseeing). On the other hand, if I want a full week of hardcore riding, I will probably prefer France.

• Liked — Excellent value for money, Location, View, quiet
  • Disliked — No locks in the ski room, no newspapers other than Swiss
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mastman
London, Engalnd
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We returned as a family, to this hotel. We were welcomed by the owners, and had booked three rooms. The apartment for the young family with two small children. A double room with balcony for the grandparents, and a super single room for our adult daughter.

The hotel continues to invest in facilities for guests, and the restaurants were better then ever. Best of all was the staff, from Reception to Chambermaids, just very special professional staff.

We hope to return next year, maybe we will see you there?

• Liked — Service & Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small towels
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buckinghamshire UK
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I have just returned from a week at the Gstaaderhof and I was impressed with it - especially when I got the bill, bearing in mind it's in Gstaad and it was peak season!

My young son and I had a cosy bedroom with separate sitting room (though bathroom was small). This gave us plenty of space; there are lots of storage areas too, which you need when ski-ing.

Breakfast buffets were very good and this hotel has 2 restaurants to choose from in the evening (as well as all the other places to try in Gstaad). You can get a snack in the main restaurant any time, which I liked.

As with many hotels in Switzerland, the Gstaaderhof is very clean and well-kept, but not lavishly appointed! I would suggest that the owners invest in some better bath towels and spend a bit more on toiletries - they only supply those really small soaps.

I have stayed in Gstaad several times and have looked at most of the hotels. I think the Gstaaderhof is the best located (very central for shops, restaurants and ski-ing) and offers best value.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Liked — Location and excellent price for peak season
  • Disliked — No pool; poor bathtowels and soaps
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TM99
Lisbon - Portugal
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I have just returned from Gstaad where I spent a week skiing with my girl friend. The Gstaaderhof hotel proved to be an excellent choice. Our room was very spacious with separate sitting area and a nice veranda, which we did not use because of the cold. However the hotel has smaller rooms without veranda and if I’m not wrong without sitting area. The room had all the amenities we needed: wardrobe space was more than adequate, the toilet had a bathtub and hairdryer, TV and radio, a safe and a little bar. The room was thoroughly cleaned every day. Decor was light and pleasant. The only minor disappointment was perhaps the difficulty we experienced to set the right temperature of the shower (either too hot and not enough water or too cold and too much water), although this is probably a minor issue on our room (302). Inside our room there was a note discouraging smoking.
Breakfast buffet was excellent with plenty to choose from. The presentation was also nice.
There were two restaurants, one of them serving Swiss specialties. We tried both and enjoyed the meals and service.
The wellness center is a good asset. We used it on a daily basis to relax, upon returning from the ski tracks. There is a steam bath, sauna, whirlpool, solarium and relaxation room with soft music. The area induces peace of mind. It is very pleasant and is free of charge except for the whirlpool and solarium.
There are also other facilities we did not use such as sitting room with fireplace (with some newspapers but al in German in spite of a considerable number of guests speaking English and French), children’s room with toys, games room, and a bar (at night it was packed with smokers), with smoke tending to drift to the closest areas such as the main restaurant and lobby. For skiers there is also a practical ski room at the entrance, where one can leave skis, sticks and ski boots, instead of carrying them to the room. However there are no lockers.
Upon arrival we were picked up at the railway station and where also driven there at the end of our stay, all of this was complementary.
The most important ski tracks of Gstaad are close by, a mere 10 minutes walking. However, if you are not physically fit the course may prove strenuous, especially if you wear ski boots and carry the skis and sticks with you. Fortunately the hotel also provided free transportation to and from the main ski track.
The hotel staff also took care of getting our ski passes that were charged in our account.
In general the staff performed their duties swiftly and professionally.
The daily rate was 311,80 Swiss francs per night. I consider this a very good deal taking into account the type of room and amenities we got.

• Liked — Room type
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank José S