“where not to stay in Solothurn” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gasthaus Kreuz

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Solothurn
Gasthaus Kreuz
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Solothurn
Frog Hollow NY
“where not to stay in Solothurn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

I never give bad reviews. I just don't see the point usually, but the Kreuz? It is so bad, and in my home town Solothurn, and by no means cheap too: I am writing my first bad review of a hotel ever,

No check in desk. No check in staff. Nobody knows anything and cares less. The room was not ready until after 7:30 PM at NIGHT in winter. I waited from 11:00 AM until 7:30 PM before my room was ready. I speak German, and am a Swiss citizen. I had made the reservation the day before over the phone. It was confirmed by the manager at the Hotel an der Aare who had found the room for me. Hotel Kreuz had no record. The manager at Hotel an der Aare wrote it all down and I showed it to them, but they made me wait more than 8 hours for the room. With one exception, the whole staff were rude and utterly incompetent and talked to me as if I was the groom in their stable

At dinnertime, there was no food to eat in the "restaurant" except prepackaged commercial sandwiches: choices ham or cheese on white bread. I waited 45 minutes for the tea I ordered with my sandwich. Tea never came. Fell asleep waiting. Ignored by the waitress who was surly, and personally rude. Her colleague went out of the way to come over and be rude too, totally gratuitously.

What do I mean rude? I asked for dinner and she gave me the dinner menu. It was dinner time. I asked her to take my order. She informs me the kitchen isn't open yet. I asked her why she gave me a menu then, and she says to give me something to read. I asked for my tea and she said she was busy. I asked to put my check on my room bill she said she was busy.

No toilets in the rooms and no sign anywhere indicating where the toilets might be. The toilet was not designed to be user friendly fore disabled old people. I could barely step in because the step up was so high. TV down the hall dominated by teenagers.

Breakfast. Dry bread. Juice in 2 milliliter glasses. Written on the glass: 2 Millileter. No fresh milk. No cereal and no fresh milk for cereal. No eggs. No tea and no coffee. Not even water to drink.

The manager was insulting. I had sat in the breakfast room for 45 minutes and she had passed back and forth a dozen times and even looked in. The last straw was her yelling at me when I stood up to look for a tea cup, and maybe a hidden hot water spigot somewhere and this after totally ignoring me for almost an hour. Her assistant stepped in: "What do you want?" Breakfast, I answered and he walked out.

I had to struggle with my own bags. I am a 100% disabled veteran. This is not the hotel for anyone older or disabled or looking for a friendly face in the cold.

Oh, aaand one more thing. The front door is locked at night. I came back to the hotel about 11:00 PM after going out for two hours. No sign anywhere. Just a locked up front door. I was lucky as heck that a passing neighbor took pity on me and took me around to the back and showed me where the locked night entrance was which I could open with my room key.

I escaped that hotel thank god the next morning.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving and staying
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank isafakir