“Very nice location, disappointing place”

Sorell Hotel Rueden
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Schaffhausen
GreenLeadersGold level
founex
“Very nice location, disappointing place”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Schaffouse has a very nice old town, buildings with painted facades. In that respect the hotel is very nice located; however the staff is non existant, the breakfast is a nihilist concept, the minibar is an "help yourself" one in the lobby, and cleaning is a joke; rooms seem to have been decorated in the 70s, with a blue carpet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cork
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My room had no windows but was air conditioned which made it comfortable.
Colleagues on the trip had windows but no air conditioning which meant the rooms were either very hot or noisy (if you opened the windows)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Cathal3
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2011

The hotel is located in a very central location in Schaffhausen. It is in the 'city' (perhaps more village) center and very near the train station. We did however arrive in Zürich and since it was fairly late we had asked the hotel to arrange for transfer to the hotel. Was worth it since the train would have required us to change (not always the case, depends on arrival time and now we were 3 people and the taxi arranged by the hotel cost us CHF 120, still it is substantially more expensive than to travel from the airport by train (CHF 18 per person).

Arriving at the hotel we saw that it was located in a very nice old building. The entrance had a fire place and a nice area with some sofas, tables etc. The fire place gave the hotel the slight 'smell' of burnt wood, some of my colleagues felt that it gave the place a slight charm - I could however have done without it.

Many rooms are very small, the one I was put in was about the size of my walk-in closet at home. Still they managed to cram all the necessary things into the room (small bed, desk, TV and even a safe). The small size of the room does however mean that something I would like to have in a room was not available. I would have liked an iron (was available downstairs), coffee maker (available downstairs as well) and mini-bar. The safe was also very small. I have a small laptop (around 1kg weight) and it could still not fit in the safe.

The bed was comfortable and I slept well. I am pretty sound sleeper so was not disturbed by any noise. A few of my colleagues complained about the fact that the Church bells were very disturbing. The rooms are also rather warm and there was no air condition (would probably be even worse in summer).

The breakfast was at best ok but I would have liked some more choices, especially regarding hot food the selection was poor (as well as the quality). The hotel would probably benefit from having a real restaurant in the place but as it is now they do not have the ability to make any real food.

There is also the matter of Internet access, it is charged for in the rooms but it is free at the computer in the lobby where it is also possible to print without charge.

The hotel does not have a gym but they do offer free access to the local gym (called Eurofit). The gym was very nice but it is a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank thesaint01
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Hi,

The location of this hotel is really make our choice worthy than anything else at Schaffhausen, Switzerland. Train station, Taxi stand, Restaurants, shopping centres, and Beer Bar is within the walking distance of 5 minutes. The famous 'RHEIN FALL' is only 15/ 20 minutes by Car. There're lot of Beer Bar located and SWISS BEER is simply awesome !!! My advice - must go to club Havana for Beer, drinks etc. You need to know the places for nightlife and Taxi Drivers are very keen and alert to serve tourists in this regard. The wooden interior is really great to see of this property but room size is small. Breakfast is basic but Ok. Hotel is quite a bit expensive [Euro 125 ~ 150] but interms of location I think no one will worry about it. So far, it was a real pleasant stay at Zum Ruden.

Cheers,
Md. Mahbubur Rahman [Shohag]
==========================

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed September 29, 2010

There were two guys in reception - older and younger. I'm not sure whether it's a language barrier or what, but a few conversations with the younger guy gave me strange feeling:
First - couple of hours after check-in he tells me that they gave me more expensive room than I paid for ( Ich habe ein klein einzelzimmer fur 150CHF reserviert). So I either have to reimburse the difference or move to a cheaper room. I didn't argue with him, but probably the look on my face said to him - "it's not my problem and I'm not moving anywhere" so he tried to be good and said that "it's ok if you stay in the original room".

Later in the evening I was using Internet kiosk (free!!) in the lobby and then he came to me saying that they need to restart it and I can use it 15mins later. I wasn't totally happy about it, but yeah, whatever. Next morning it was still switched off and the older guy was really surprised when I asked him if it's ok to use it now.

Then, at 10:45am another surprise - the younger guy told me during check-in last night that the checkout is at 12:00 and I was pleasantly surprised, I mean, it's not often that you find hotels with checkout at 12:00. Did he mix up "eleven" and "twelve" when talking to me? Don't know. But the older guy told me it's 11am 15mins before the deadline. Tough luck.

The hotel itself is very unusual and is located in a really old building. The rooms are clean and in good state (it appears they were renovated not that long ago).

I didn't see many other guests around, even though it was July, and normally during breakfast I bump into lots of other people.
The highlight of breakfast was freshly made espresso (by, I think, the older guy from reception). It was good, but I actually like a bigger size of coffee or have a refill, e.g. in other hotels I normally have a couple cups of brewed coffee for breakfast.
They also had some pastries (but not much) and local swiss cold meats. A bread roll I took was rather disappointing - dry and hard so it didn't taste freshly baked.

No airconditioning so it was hot in my room (July was really hot in Europe in 2010).

So, overall a good stay, but next time when in Schaffhausen I'll try a different hotel. I would still recommend it to my friends to experience living in a really old building - that's probably as old as you can get these days - as many buildings in Europe were destroyed during WW2, with Switzerland being exception. Make sure you use stairs instead of lift at least once.

I give it three dots for absence of air conditioning, breakfast bordering on boring and a bit strange attitude from staff (may be it ok by swiss standards, but I can't call it very good as four points implies)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I went to Schaffhausen for a meeting that took place at the Rueden. I therefore booked a room there, for me and my son, 10, who accompanied me.
Welcome was efficient. It is worth noting however that check in time are limited (on a Friday for instance, it is impossible to arrive after 17:00!). The first room I visited was quite tiny. Asking for bigger, with twin beds (top category rooms all have 1 large bed), they could only give me a blind view room! At CHF 230, this is a bit far fetch!
There is no minibar, but a self service bar is available in the lounge (quite a nice one, next to the breakfast place).
Breakfast was all right, although the scrambled eggs were not eatable. There is no restaurant, but it is possible to organise catering when doing an event.
Business meeting went smoothly. The rooms are nice and well equipped.
All together the hotel is nice but overpriced. And one should make sure he gets the room he deserves before going there...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business