“Comfortable in the Heart of St. Gallen”
Review of Hotel Dom

Hotel Dom
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in St. Gallen
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We are spending our second night of six at Hotel Dom and already love it! It was one of several area accommodations suggested in conjunction with a conference I am attending. [NOTE: This is a combined business/personal trip with my spouse.] Between the hotel's website and Google maps, I determined the Dom's location to be just perfect--in a (mostly) pedestrian zone, near the rail station, and in a more historic part of the city. The hotel itself is of contemporary design, however, and "something different." Picking hotel rooms from the web is tricky, but in this case, my hunch paid off!

Since we arrived early on Sunday morning, before check-in, the staff took charge of our luggage, which left us free to begin exploring St. Gallen, checking out cafés/restaurants, and expanding our photo collection! In the afternoon we returned to settle into our room, which is in the "orange" hallway. All rooms have white modular interiors accented by the "theme color" displayed in each hallway.

The room is en suite, which is small, but comfortable and efficiently designed. Once I determined the shower had good water pressure and toasty hot water, I was "sold." The en suite door is a sliding panel of frosted glass, which transmits a wonderful glow when lit from behind.

Beds, fitted with very comfy duvets and feather pillows, helped us get rid of any lingering jet lag in short order. Our room, on the back side of the hotel, has a generous balcony with chairs and a small table. The balcony view is not spectacular, but the peace and quiet more than makes up for that! The only thing the room lacks is significant storage/hanging space. But we may travel with more than others, so that is a subjective assessment.

Breakfast, included, is a buffet with numerous options--cereals and grains, breads from local bakeries, cheeses and breakfast meats, juices, yogurt, fresh fruit and fruit juices. The coffee was wonderful--we like ours strong--and what we had this morning was just that!

Other amenities include guest access to Wi-Fi, TVs with some English-language channel options, in-room safes (a big plus in our book!), and room "tags" (electronic devices) also permit hotel entry after 10 PM. While I am traveling with my spouse on this trip, I often travel alone, so I am especially appreciative of security features. One other point--Hotel Dom participates in an employment initiative that offers jobs to persons with disabilities, allowing them to learn skills and be part of a productive team. That's just the sort of organization we like to support!

We would choose Hotel Dom again and would recommend it to friends without hesitation.

Room Tip: Balconys are on the back--not overly-picturesque views, but a quiet outdoor space to sit and read, w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jruthg
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear jruthg

Thank you for your detailed and very positive feedback. We are glad that you had a pleasant stay in our house. We look forward to welcome you and your wife soon again.

Hotel Dom

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I visited St. Gallen over Easter to attend a powerful performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion at the St. Laurenzenkirche around the corner. The area is beautiful and short walk to the train station, marketplace and of course the Dom. I liked the bright, clean, contemporary art museum feel - with placards at each entryway with a photo and commentary. The room was good-sized, clean and bright and bed quite comfortable. Wireless internet was simple free. I liked the Maxi Bar concept - a gathering area on the first floor where one can brew a fine cup of coffee or tea and grab a piece of fruit. Bottles of local Biers and various snacks were also available - for these one simply needed to itemize them on forms provided and pay for them at checkout. I had a delightful brunch on Easter Sunday at the hotel restaurant (where I was greeted by the pastor who was dining there as well). The price, as its seems with all things Swiss, was higher than I was used to in Germany, but not at all out of line with other nearby lodgings. I will happily stay again if the occasion arises.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Yvonne F, Team Réception at Hotel Dom, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear jt_powell

Thank you very much for your nice review and the time you have taken to share your Dom experience here on TripAdviser.
It is always great to read, when our guests enjoy their stay. We are looking forward to welcome you again.
The Hotel Dom-Team

Reviewed December 18, 2011

My family and I spent one night here on our way to Germany and thought that the hotel was in a perfect location. It was a short walk from the train station and right by old town and the cathedral. We were visiting during their Christmas market weekend and it was beautiful! We stayed in a budget room, which was average and clean, but still way overpriced (just like everything in Switzerland). However, the service was amazing and at night they even got my one year daughter some milk. The breakfast was also superb with many different choices.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The Dom is very well located. It is close to the cathedral and market area of St Gallen. It is also very walkable from the train station and conference centre.

The room is very basic but is clean and airy and very comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a reasonably priced (for Switzerland that is) hotel in St Gallen.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2011

spent one night at the budget room at this hotel for the conference. For 3 star hotel, the price is high, but the service was very nice. The toilet and shower was not in the room, but the view was onto the main square and it was cute to live on the last floor and be able to glimpse around those tiny small buildings of the town. The location to station is very close, and to the main street and cathedral also. Great small swiss town!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank yulcya
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I spent 2 nights with my daughter, and thoroughly enjoyed it. all rooms have a stylish fit out with an artistic touch. Bathrooms are comfy and you have enough space. The price is ok for what you get (I do not agree with Moose2711 who pretends that you find comparable rooms for 69EUR), staff is friendly and helpful, and there is a parking lot in the back yard. NB: it is a 3 star hotel which could easily be a 4 star.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2011

As this was a business trip I only stayed for one night. Staff were friendly and helpful with great restaurant recommendations. Room was simple and very clean. There was a desk although I did not sit at it. There was a tv on the wall which was useful for checking the news. Bed was comfortable and had a quilt/duvet which is always great. There was even a small balcony where you could sit out. Bathroom had a great shower and large sink. All in all this was perfect for an overnight trip. Breakfast was fruit and cereal and yoghurt. They did have a large selection of tea too!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business