“conveniently located but very plain and no restaurant”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Neuchatel
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very disappointed. and very noisy room right next to the elevator. Room size wise was 'lilliputian'! I was never told this when I booked it. They just said little room for cheap rate, even after I said I wanted a quiet room away from the elevator

Shower stall opposite the bed and sink/toilet in a separate room. There was no cupboard to keep your clothes need and tidy and the 'closet' space (really, just a dead space next to the shower stall) had the bar so high, I couldn't even reach it to hang clothes. Very narrow space to walk around bed. suitcase rack very inconvenient. Unless you placed it against the desk, you couldn't get out of the room!

Room also backed on some extremely noisy courtyard with children screaming all the time.

Room did have WIFI and it was cleaned..more or less every day, but the floor didn't look very swept...For the cheap rate, I had to make my own bed every day!

On the subject of bed, mattress didn't have proper support, so it kept sliding off the rack, not to mention it was too soft!

Breakfast was ok. but there was no restaurant, oficially attached to hotel. The restaurant has same name but you had to make a reservation all the time and hotel guests got no privileges in that regard. Mind you, we could buy wine at the reception and drink it right there!

Hotel was very convenient to just about everything in Neuchatel. Casino practically across the street as well as some restaurants. The port is only 2 blocks away and there is a large shopping centre (La Maladiere) within walking distance.

There was a computer in the lobby but it was not linked to their printer which is retarded. If you wanted to print your airline boarding pass at the hotel, you couldn't unless you gave receptionist access to your email...uh..I don't think so!

No luxury in this place at all.

The front desk staff if mostly very young students, most. really nice, fortunately, but some with 'attitudes'. The girl who checked me in was very arrogant and rude, not only to myself but to 2 other friends who stayed at the same property. I have never been treated so rudely in my life. I suppose she doesn't get the fact that my fees pay for her salary. On this basis alone, I would never ever recommend this hotel. Next time I am in town, I will save up for a hotel with more polite staff and a little better quality.

Room Tip: if you come in summer, don't pick the attic rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susano P

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is quite simiple, no frills.
The receptionist and other staff were very very friendly and helpful.
The street it is on has no particular charm (we chose it because it is opposite a park with a good playground for the children). The roads are a bit noisy and I was worried, but in fact the soundproofing was quite good so we got a good night's sleep.
The breakfast buffet was quite adequate.
The price was a bit steep for the simple nature of the accomodation but hey, in Switzerland that happens.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had returned to the Hotel des Arts in Neuchâtel because of its central location and its proximity to the funicular railway leading up to the station. It´s popular, and the only room available was a more expensive "suite". My experience with their suites had been that they were simply larger rooms, capable of sleeping three, with a pull-out sofa.

On the sixth floor, they have at least one more luxurious room (607), with better furniture and a very smart bathroom with bath / spa and rain-room style shower. And to 607 I was told I had received an upgrade.

It had been a summer day, and as I entered I was surprised (not) to see a ventilator on full blast. It was 7.30pm but the room was still very hot - and there´s no A/C. Fortunately, the windows open and I could get some cooler evening air in, but during a hot summer day, I can´t imagine anyone staying inside there for long voluntarily. Unless, of course, they turn on the cold water and sit in the shower. Perhaps that´s why it has a seat ....

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor under the roof in summer
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Room is clean. We were given a room on the first floor in a corner closest to the city and it is extremely loud day and night. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at regarding noise control. Wifi comes and goes, not reliable.No toiletries, just had a soap dispenser by the sink and in the shower. No fridge in room. Room is spacious for European standards. Would not stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently stayed one night at the Hotel des Arts and I was given a room on the sixth floor. Only when I got to the lift, did I see that the sixth floor was the top floor and my room was literally just under the roof. The room was very very spacious with a marvellous bathroom (a shower which had every possible feature and a massage bath). The whole room was very very nice. I would definitely stay there again. I common with all hotels in Neuchatel, it wasn't exactly low cost but it was a very nice experience. Breakfast was simple but also very nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is in the city within short walks to the lake and downtown. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are simple but clean. Nothing fancy but good to stay. WiFi is for free with good access in the room. The only real drawback is the breakfast. The food is ok, but not much choice and a very small breakfast room.
If you are looking for a simple clean hotel it is fine.

Room Tip: I was in the fourth floor 406. To the street, but it was not noise with closed doors. Maybe differnt...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is quite common hotel, 5 minutes on foot from the old center.
Clean, basic rooms, xonfortable bed, tv, no fidge, small bathrooms.
Breakfast was OK, but no eggs.
If possible, ask for a room on the 6th floor facing the city - for nicer view.
If you have to stay a day or two, this hotel would be quite OK.

Room Tip: To get to the hotel from the railway station, just take the funicular which is on the right hand sid...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business