“Great Swiss Food at a Reasonable Price”

Rebstock Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 415 Restaurants in Lucerne
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional yet inspired; seasonal and from the region! That describes the Rebstock cuisine. There are multiple restaurants to try, offering varied and creative takes on classic dishes. On sunny days, the large boulevard terrace at the foot of the Hofkirche cathedral and the cosy, romantic garden in the rear courtyard invite guests to some open-air enjoyment with a fresh drink from our bar.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been to this restaurant a few times over the years and decided to go again this past week. The garden out back is really cute and you wouldn't think you were near one of Luzern's main roads. The food as usual was great and in my opinion reasonably priced (for Switzerland). The service staff were not really what I would call up to scratch, either they were understaffed or the lady was new. This meant that I had to ask for the wine menu 3 times…. I work in service so I think I am probably a pickier customer than most… She was however nice and friendly throughout the meal! All in all I would recommend this restaurant to all, locals and travelers alike!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This was my first night back to Lucerne in nearly 20 years and I was in search of authentic local cuisine and atmosphere. I stayed in the sister hotel property across the street and it was quite convenient and recommended that the hotel Rebstock restaurant be my choice. Upon entering the restaurant, we were immediately greeted by the restaurant manager and wait staff. Both acknowledged our reservation and immediately took us to our table in the more formal of two dining rooms. The menu was explained to us adequately after our drinks were ordered, prepared and served. Preparation was exactly to expectations and the atmosphere was very comfortable and hospitable. Our waiter was truly interested in ensuring that we were completely satisfied with our food presentation, taste and timing of delivery. This was so far, the best dining experience of seven consecutive nights out.

I would, without hesitation, recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting Lucerne. All elements of a great restaurant experience were in place and the cost/person was around the average from the dozens of menus I perused while re-acquainting myself with this towns charm.

The city and country themselves might be considered expensive by any standard but, given that reality, this restaurant is well worth seeking out and enjoying. I will surely return for another great meal when next in Lucerne.

1  Thank beentheretwo
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My partner and i went here a few days ago. We ordered a soup, chicken wings with chips, and 1 non alcoholic drink, and this cost us over 50francs! Staff were not particularly friendly. Soup was terrible. Very expensive for what we got. Would not go back.

1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed December 30, 2013

First of all I should say that the staff was not bad or mean spirited, but there was just an overall mediocrity and lack of caring throughout the entire experience. For example when we arrived no one acknowledged us at all. 4 or 5 staff members walked past us in the entry as if we were invisible. I was actually about to leave and find another place to dine before stopping someone to ask for a table. In hindsight I should have left. This place is in the Hotel Rebstock so you would think they are tourist friendly, but NOT.
The wait person I stopped said to sit anywhere...again you'd think they would recognize a potential patron and make them feel welcomed with a big "Hello and welcome, please take a seat anywhere". Missed opportunity for a great first impression. This was the fist of may missed opportunities.
After being seated the waitress took a while to take our order, this process is kind of slow all over Europe, they think you are there for the entire night. But if you are dealing with tourist you might assume they may have other plans too? The order was pretty "minimum requirements" nothing offered, no recommendations, no upsell, etc. So far this place almost lost a customer and did nothing to "enhance" the dining experience. Also an opportunity was lost to increase the restaurants revenue by making recommendations like a salad with dinner, wine, or an appetizer...but nothing...
The prices in Switzerland are pretty high and my 38 CHF meal (about $45 US) was basically chipped beef with hash browns. The presentation was terrible. I just paid 4 times what I would pay at a local coffee shop back home and there was more white plate showing than food to cover the plate. There was only my beef with sauce and hash browns. No garnish, no vegetables, nothing to make it look anywhere near the cost. It just seemed like an overall lack of trying or caring. That being said they did have seconds waiting in the wings.
After dinner we asked for the bill, 3 times. 20mins later it came, but while we were waiting our waitress could be seen talking on the phone, munching on something behind the bar, socializing with a coworker, assisting a colleague in serving a much larger party, finally getting the table next to us a new coffee cup that he asked for about 20 mins earlier.
The people were nice, they weren't mean, they just didn't seem to care.
Because of our experience I cannot recommend this place and I won't be going back. I do see this place fairly busy every night so I don't know what others see in it? Maybe they are all friends of the owner :)
I think that this place could double its revenue if they just did things a little differently.

3  Thank DKF808
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were traveling in Lucerne and found this restaurant in the center of the city. It is in a very old building with very beautiful traditional swiss decoration. Environment was very nice. But the food was normal, need to wait very long to order and the waiter saw we were tourist so didn't come to us in long time and was not very friendly.

This restaurant didn't have any relation of price-quality. We paid a lot of money for a normal food and not very satisfied service.

3  Thank Kaeda_hino_tx