“nice..but..”

Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I guess you have to accept the Swiss idea that everything costs more...lots more. Think they have a Michelin star..with a great collection of Mouton that goes way back!! Their schnitzel is their flagship item, which is made at tableside. Very cool and delicious. cost was high but this was a great treat. I had water...there is the rub. At the bill, found the ice for the water was 3 CHF and the water was 6CHF..almost $10 for a glass of ice water. I find that insulting, given that no mention of the cost was told in advance. Such is Switzerland....and I am a tourist.

2  Thank eyeu

Reviewed August 25, 2014

The Old Swiss House is a welcome throwback to Old World dining. Classic in every sense and owned and run by the same family for generations. There is an interesting list of celebs and politicians who have dined here in years past. What sets the Old Swiss House apart from most other restaurants is the service and presentation.

Service was formal but very friendly and we had three different people looking after us. Once we were seated at a very nice table next to a window, a portable end serving table was set up from which several courses were prepared table-side. This included an expertly carved smoked salmon appetizer, the beef carpaccio appetizer with mustard & egg based dressing, and our chocolate mousse and a peach pastry desserts.

The mains were all excellent. My wife loved her ravioli and my fillets of pike were tender and delicious. My daughters had veal medallions in mushroom sauce with roesti potatoes which they both really enjoyed.

All in all, a wonderful evening. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. It's expensive but so is the whole country! Well worth it if you're looking for something special in Lucerne.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

We were very much looking forward to our splurge at Old Swiss House, the most expensive restaurant we dined at during our 2 weeks in Europe. The atmosphere -- both inside and out -- is charming, and we were escorted to an elegant table for 2 when we entered the restaurant. Sadly, after our waiter seated us, he proceeded to busily serve other tables and he completely ignored us for 15-20 minutes. We were not offered even water. I was steaming and ready to walk out when a waitress asked if she could help us. I explained the situation, and a couple of moments later, I saw her whispering to our waiter. From then on, our waiter was fawning in an exaggerated way, bowing and saying "thank you" every time he poured water or wine, gave us a utensil, etc. This was irritating in the opposite way! I ordered the restaurant's famed wiener schnitzel, which is prepared tableside, and was disappointed in the lack of flavor. The dish is HUGE and is certainly enough for 2 people, if not 3. Everything was "good," but nothing was fabulous. We enjoyed a much better meal at Unicum the night before for a lot less money.

2  Thank Alamotraveler
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

We were in Luzern for 2 days and a friend recommended us this restaurant. We took a goose liver mousse and a beef tartare like a first and after my husband took a schnitzel and I took a rib eye steak with spinach.
Everything was wonderful, the meal and the service.
We wanted a table outside and they prepared it immediately for us and what ever we was asking they did it.
It is expensive, but it worth the price.

1  Thank yafeEvian
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our driver and our hotel highly recommended this classic Swiss restaurant. The ambience, service, and food were superb. We began with cheese croquets with tomato sauce and a goose liver mouse, both were excellent. For the main course we had the Weiner Schnitzel, prepared in butter table side and served with egg noodles. Without a doubt it was the best we have ever had.