“Awesome”

Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

In Lucerne, you must go to this restaurant! Their specialty schnitzel is prepared table side: order one for 2 people! Chocolate muse desert was to die for!

2  Thank Tfm55
There are newer reviews for Old Swiss House

Reviewed May 23, 2014

All of Switzerland is expensive so if you are going there, just forget about the cost and treat yourself to a special night at the Old Swiss. Easy to find; just down the street from the Dying Lion Monument. Don't wear jeans; they might let you in, but they are really not appropriate. Fine silver, crystal, linen tablecloths and napkins. We were waited on as if we were the Queen Mum and every courtesy was extended to my grand daughter and I.
We ordered schnitzel which was cooked in front of us with mountains of butter and luscious noodles and buttered bread crumbs. It was suggested that we order the chocolate mousse, but we had no more room. The meal is very filling perhaps because it is so rich with butter.
The restaurant is old; it has a history to it, but is decorated with vintage and Old World class. A little Victorian perhaps. We were charged for tap water ( bear that in mind) but the minute our water was low our glass was being refilled. It is the food but also the service that you are paying for. You pay for what you get.

1  Thank bucketlistend
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was excited to go to Swiss Old House as the reviews in TA were very good and described a potentially great restaurant experience. It wasn't. First, the place is very drab and exudes that "has seen better days" look. Secondly, the food was not very good. I got the Schnitzel - made table-side with an entire package of butter. Not very good - with a side of noodles mixed with butter and breadcrumbs. Not good. Wife had brisket which was better (no butter) but not great. Dessert was very good though - chocolate mousse. Service was very good and everyone was nice. But for about $300 for 2 people (small carafe of wine included) was kinda ridiculous even for high priced Switzerland. Not sure how this place gets such high marks on here. It was very disappointing.

3  Thank Naxelrod
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Very touristy, very old world, very expensive but well worth it. Went with the recommendations of the schnitzel and the chocolate mousse, and both were super delicious. I tried not to think about the amount of butter used as the dish was cooked tableside but my God it tasted good and what the heck just once now and again! !!!!!! It was expensive but again. .....what the heck just once now and again. I would also say that the schnitzel was so large it could easily be shared by 2 as at the table next door. As stuffed as I was I had to go for the mousse which was definately the best I've ever had, well worth it.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

OK - I know this place is touristy by I am a sucker for old style Swiss chalet ambiance and a good Schnitzel. You get both at the Old Swiss House along with a friendly atmosphere. It would be hard to have a bad time at this local favorite.