“Something different you'll tend to like!”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #66 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Pune, India
“Something different you'll tend to like!”
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This is something different: People who are in for something fun and unique should get this hotel. It is one of the oldest buildings there, yeah the name suggests its a jail hotel, it is really made from a jail and the facilities offered there are equivalent to those you're more likely to find in a prison rather than a hotel. No television, small rooms, a very high window are the general features of the normal double bedded room. If you get the breakfast with the package, it is great but you get a cold breakfast but the food is nice. All in all, a great place to stay for a fun filled holiday!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Shreyasi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed in The Jailhouse for 1 night and I'm glad it was only 1 night. The rooms were very small and cold with the bunk beds hard. The bathroom was small however it was all clean.
Not having any power points in the room was annoying in this technology age and as mentioned before the noise was really quite bad. You did hear everyone coming and going through out your stay. We were lucky the night club was not on during our stay however they do forewarn you about the possible noise from the club.
It has maintained its jailhouse character though and it is a bit of fun for a night to imagine what it would have been like as a inmate.
The breakfast was simple but good food and good coffee.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Lucerne hotels

Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I couldn't find an affordable hotel in Luzern, so I chose the Jailhotel without reading enough about it. Horrible mistake! We had to pay upfront, and we did so without looking at the room first. If we had seen the room first, we would have been out of there in 2 seconds! There was a mix up with the beds, it smelled funny, the doors did not block any of the hallway noise, so we could hear not only other (Loud) guests, but the club downstairs! The shower curtain was dirty, there was no ventilation, I could go on and on. The only good aspects were its location and its breakfast, but I'm sure we could have found that elsewhere. We ended up leaving a night early because we didn't want to sleep on those awfully uncomfortable beds any more. It truly was like staying in a prison... nothing good about it!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2010

The rooms were clean and the bedding was comfortable and warm, the rooms were a little on the cold side and there was no heating, not that I could see anyway. The bathroom was clean but there was no hairdryer. The night we stayed at the hotel there was flash floods and it was raining heavily so a hairdryer would have been useful. Still managed to take a nice hot shower before bed time. There are also no electric sockets so no where to charge your phone/ipod/camera's in the rooms. This was a big negative for me. It was interesting staying here, definetely an experience but glad it was only for 1 night and no longer. Oh, there was no telephone in theie room either... not that we needed to use it.

• Stayed September 2010
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I can't precisely review the hotel itself because they would not let me stay there. After a long day's drive down to Lucerne, we arrived at the hotel around 4pm on a Saturday. Curiously, the reception attendant asked if we had arrived by public transport or by car. Naively I said by car, then she says that they are all booked and we can't stay there, but they have arranged another hotel with a 4 star rating in exchange. (Wonder what she would have said if I said "public transportation?") The problem with Jailhotel being booked is that I had PRE-PAID for the room two months prior via Expedia. So, legally, they should have turned away walk-ins but accepted my reservation. Sadly, my husband and I decided a hotel upgrade couldn't be all bad, so we accepted it. THEN she whipped out a map to a hotel 7KM away! It wasn't even in Lucerne!

The alternate hotel (whose name I can't even remember) was not only 7km away, but up a narrow twisty mountain road full of cows ringing their bell, the stench of animal poop, and basically in the middle of nowhere. The room was large, but sparsely appointed and there was no internet, but I thought we could just relax at the in-hotel restaurant for the night. Well, after the second beer, the server pointed out that the restaurant did not serve food. Ooookay..... and the nearest restaurant was a 3km walk DOWN the hill to town (since we had been drinking). By this time, it was pouring rain, we were starving, wet, and cold, and we trudged downhill a good 45 minutes to an Italian restaurant and then back UP the hill in pitch darkness. All of our clothes were soaked despite our umbrellas. This was decidedly NOT a 4-star experience and I believe we were duped by the Jailhotel staff and were robbed of our reservation and pre-payment.

So, if you ever feel adventurous enough to book a room at the Jailhotel, be aware that they are a disreputable bunch and your "reservation" means nothing. Might as well stay in a barn 7km outside the city and skip the middleman.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 8, 2010

For $120 per night this was place was a ripoff. The price should have been about $40 per night. The hotel has no amenities and was literally the loudest place on earth. Not just loud because of the street noise, but loud because the rooms are so poorly insulated you can hear anyone who walks by. A group of college travelers departed at 4 am the first night and proceeded to drag their luggage down the steps it sounded like they were attacking Normandy.

This hotel is WAY overpriced and not by any stretch a three star hotel. The one plus was
the breakfast was included and was pretty good.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank scottn8911
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I think this hotel has gotten some bad reviews.
It is NOT for everyone.
we had the directors suite and it was huge on space, compared to the other "cells"
but I think what people fail to grasp the idea of is this a coverted jail house,
They have tried to keep as much of that "feel" as possiable
hence no TV etc but if you want to stay in a run of the mill huge 5 star chain then go stay there as this is not the place for you,
We loved it, infact I think that seeing the cells made me a little sad we got an upgrade,
We stayed one night and after a busy day touring didn't even need the air plugs that were given to us,
Overall I say this is what it is
I personally enjoyed it and would talk it up freinds
Breakfast was great