“A different experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 69 Hotels in Lucerne
Manila, Philippines
“A different experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

As the name itself, it a hotel that looks like a jail. But don't worry, it is worth the experience. We came from Munich using our Day 1 Eurail pass. The Luzern train station is just one bus station ride or you can walk if you don't carry heavy luggage. Our mistake is that we took a taxi for 20 Euros so that back to our next destination we took the bus. The hotel is nearby shops and we were lucky to eat rice in a small restaurant nearby during our stay.

Room Tip: keep your windows close when you change your clothes because its too close to the windows of the hou...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Edmonton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel was a little creepy for me, small room, two small beds and the bathroom, which was built in after and looks like a shack had a stand up shower. The rooms have "codes" that you punch in to get in, heavy doors, dark long empty hallways...just very eerie. The mattresses were thin foamy ones, and there were bugs all around the floor. I was grossed out, thank god it was only one night as part of my Contiki Tour. The lobby provides free internet so that was a plus I guess. Its definitely a different "experience" or whatever if thats your type of thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AvMat8

Travelers are raving about these Lucerne hotels

Bandung, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

hahaha..just another different experience here.the interior really like in prison but better.you felt like you sleep inside the prison and museum.for solo traveller and want a private room,you must sleep in here because of the price.i got 60 chf per night,10 chf better than in internet if you just come to the hotel.the breakfast is enough.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paterson, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I booked a trip with Contiki Tours and read that I will be staying in a Jail Hotel in Switzerland and thought "That will be fun!" Well, a few weeks before my trip I decided to look up the Jail Hotel on TripAdvisor. It was not what I wanted to be reading.

Fast foeward to July 23, 2013 (I know because it was my birthday) and I started to mentally prepare myself for this 2 night stay. I embraced the fact that I will be sleeping with bugs. Upon arrival, the lobby appeared to be clean and modern. I thought "Oh, this might not be as bad as people make it out to be." Then we finally get our room "code" (all the rooms use punched in key codes to unlock the doors, not keys, which in hindsight is dangerous. The room number was written with the code, so what happens if I drop the card?). Anyway, my friend and I started to examine the beds and sure enough there were bugs. All different types. I am not an expert so I can't say if they were bed bugs or what. Since there isn't any kind of air cooling system, they leave the windows open with no screen. So I'm assuming thats where the mass influx of bugs are coming from. The mattresses were about 4" thick, if that, and there was a make shift bathroom within the cell. They provided us dinner that night (might be just for the tour) which I'm pretty sure was kibbles and bits dog food. In order to forget about the disgusting room, I drank myself to deep intoxication and just passed out on the bed. My one friend laid clothes over the bed, while my other friend stayed up in the lobby all night. Mind you, he wasn't the only doing that, so clearly there is a cleaning issue at this hotel.

Just don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kurt H
Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

My mother and I stayed at the Jailhotel while on a rail trip around Europe last year. Initially when we booked this hostel we thought it could be quite a fun little novelty and, as we were only in Lucerne for 2 nights, just wanted to give it a go.

When we arrived and were shown to our room we took in the very basic 'jail' style of the room with a mixture of interest and anxiety. There were no curtains on the very high window (it was open and we were unable to close it ourselves) and the bathroom was essentially a free-standing shack in the corner of the room that offered no privacy whatsoever.

This would have been fine and we would have been happy enough to embrace the special character of the hotel had this theme not affected our ability to have a good nights sleep! When we noticed that there was only 1 extremely thin pillow per bed we popped down to reception to ask for extras and we told in no uncertain terms that NO EXTRA PILLOWS were available because it contradicted the 'jail house' experience the hotel was offering. I'm sorry but I'm all for a novelty themed hotel but NEVER at the cost of a guests fundamental need to sleep!

We did have a Contiki group staying at the same time as us but, as I myself have been on a European Contiki tour I feel I'm in no position to complain about the noise they inevitably made late at night. The breakfast looked like it would have been good if there had been any way to squeeze in the queue of hung-over Contiki travelers :-P

All in all, a disappointing experience at this hotel but it's location was very central and there were fantastic restaurants and shopping nearby. Only a short walk to the lake front and shopping high streets. Would recommend healthy and realistic expectations of the basic nature of this accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacey B
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I’m shocked to say that the Jailhotel Loewengraben was actually a decent hotel! Compared to our 3 previous stops in Italy (feel free to check out my other reviews), this was almost a 5* experience!

The rooms were what we expected – a standard cot. Other than that, I couldn’t really complain. Not the most comfortable ‘bed’, but we slept well. The room was spacious. The bathroom was something like an IKEA addition – it was very small but it worked. Clearly there never were washrooms in each “cell” so the washrooms are more modernized. It took a little bit of getting used to the step in/out of the washroom so I usually stumbled out!

We had breakfast and dinner at the Jailhotel and they both were excellent! We had a great assortment of breakfast options and for dinner we had a nice salad, lasagna, and dessert.

Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends