“Don't stay here if you want to sleep in a bed. BED BUGS”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for miserable nights.
I was liking I was staying in jail and paying for it!!
The first room was on the 3rd floor it was somewhat cool from the tiny window above the bed, no power point had to change my phone on the reception. I got about an hour and a half sleep was awoken by bed bugs. I caught 2 as evidence to show reception, when I reported the bed bugs there was reaction on the staff members face and he issued me another room. 2 other members if my group found bed bugs and were sent to another hotel. I got to my second room around 3:30-4am eventually got to sleep
and was awoken by direct sunlight and heat and couldn't sleep through it past 7am.

The second room during the day and evening was so hot you couldn't go to bed until the sun was truly down and gone. I tried to sleepy round 1:30am and was awoken again at 3:00am by itching and scratching of the bites of bed bugs!!! Reported to reception and again issued another room which I refused and ended up sleeping in reception.worse experience I have ever had in a hotel ruined by Switzerland experience.
Please don't stay here the manager did not offer any of us apologises the bed bugs abs not being acknowledged and gotten rid of.

1  Thank MissMmm78

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

There was a pub crawl on the night we stayed in jail - noise level was ridiculous all night. The organizer announced attendees needed to keep the noise level down or the "rich people" would complain. I guess if you're in jail you aren't rich.
Inside hallway noise was also unfiltered. You also get one window for ventilation if you are able to scale up the wall. Don't make any requests because the desk has a one word vocabulary - "NO"

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed in a triple cell, bunk-beds and a single. This hotel was clean. They provided us with a meal, which was spaghetti. I didn't find it accomadating to provide something so basic and not indigenous to the area. But rooms were clean. Communal showers were okay. I did like that they had special rooms. It was fine for a one-night stay. Beds were decent.

Room Tip: Stairs! Stay on a low floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just stayed here for one night but the whole experince was good the concept is very unique. Enjoyed our stay here . The best part about the hotel is the location its in central Luzern. The "cells" are modern and clean. We had Suite with a double bed .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RichardSteal
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Disappointing all over. Check-in at your own peril. I would seriously recommend you avoid this place irrespective of cost. Uncleaned bathrooms, bed bugs, filthy pillows, no air con or fans (ice machine was also out of order), no 240v power, wifi was tribble, communal showers, my time here was the epitome of uncomfortable... not the way Switzerland should be remembered. Towels were also not refreshed and staff appeared to be crossing duties across reception and kitchen... enough said.

1  Thank NMoz
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group tour and would never willingly return. The word "novelty" is just a disguise for the fact that this is just a terrible hotel. Cells that were used by one prisoner have been turned into twin share rooms - so the prisoners had more space than we did! I think it's a ridiculous concept and not one person on the tour enjoyed having to spend two nights here.

Actual bars still covering the windows, horrible metal bed frames and the thinnest mattress possible. No air-conditioning in the rooms, tiny bathroom with dirty grit in the corner of the shower, the only power-points were in the bathroom and a door that made a horrible screeching noise every time we turned the handle. No elevator either so we had to lug our suitcases up three flights of stairs.

Average meal at the restaurant, it was included in the tour so I can't comment on the value for money but poached chicken and half a plate of white rice and peas isn't something to get excited over.

The one and only good thing about this hotel was the location. It's very central - close to all the shops and restaurants in Lucerne on one side and the river is only a five minute walk in the other direction. Still, the location isn't good enough to redeem this hotel from it's other, many flaws. A very disappointing place to stay that really put a damper on our time in Switzerland.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Juliana M
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I hate writing bad reviews about places, but I got BED BUGS at this hotel!! I told the front desk and they didn't even care, and had no plans to do anything about it. It was the worst experience. The hotel itself is an interesting concept, but it doesn't excuse BED BUGS!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends