“Great view of river, Close to Train Station”
Review of Hotel Mr. Pickwick

Hotel Mr. Pickwick
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Mountain View, CA
“Great view of river, Close to Train Station”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Interesting hotel on top of a very popular pub. You check in at the bar which is typically very crowded. The rooms are basic, but you can sleep multi's if need be (we were in a group of 3 and just shared a room - which could have slept 4). As others have mentioned to get the free wifi you do need a phone that can get sms. We had international phones, but never got the code.

No one is around in the am so you check yourselves out. Short walk to the train station (where there is parking).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank UsePassport3xYear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
santa clara
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I stopped here on a multi stay trip through Europe. It was easily my favorite. We could open a door and step out to be right over the walk way to the river/lake. Below was a bar so if you want to do something or have a drink, all you have to do is go downstairs. If you want peace and quiet it is great for that too with multiple layers of separation and security from the bussling pub below. We came by train so it was easy to find and walk to. The people were extremely friendly. The only reason I could imagine why someone would not completely fall in love with this place is if they brought kids. But form walking around I cant say that Lucern is really a place to vacation with kids. It is also a perfect central location to get to the nearby shopping and sights. A perfect place to stay for a few days!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend stay in Hotel Pickwick this past beginning of November 2012. I must admit, it was a bit confusing on how to check in as we arrived by train from Zurich. We went to the pub with our bags (back packs) and waited quite a bit til we go a hold of one of the employees. As soon as we spoke with them, the check in process went fairly quickly and smooth.

I had pre-booked a room on the top floor. The views were amazing. Although this is a Hotel and Pub, on the top floor, we barely heard any pub noise.

IF I had a complaint, the only thing I can think of is the bed situation. I asked for a double bed and when we arrived to the room, we found out that the bed was two singles pushed together, which was rather "interesting" how myself and my girlfriend managed to sleep together but nonetheless, it wasn't a big issue.

Great place to stay and is walking distance from train station and just about everything else. I would definitely stay here again upon our next visit to Lucerne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here during our honeymoon. It's very strategically located - 5 min walk from the train station across the beautiful Reuss River; our room has a small balcony that overlooks the chapel bridge. You can see the bridge as well as the octagonal water tower even lying on your bed! Not forgetting having the view of Mt Pilatus and Lake Lucerne right outside the balcony!

The staffs were very helpful and sincere. Rooms were immaculately clean.
For the price, what more can you ask for?

**For food, you MUST try the quiche from Cafe Hug!

Room Tip: Room with a view is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Songkhla Province, Thailand
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location and views of the river are the hotel's best qualities. If you love loud, bustling bars and watching up to four football matches at the same time then it's also a great place.
However, I was traveling with young children and it was not ideal. For a start we were put on different floors and given the adult nature of the bar area, we were left with no social space.

The bedrooms were ok, nothing special and the prices tend to reflect the location rather than the quality. The service was actually good, from the English girl for whom nothing was too much trouble. It was a little less courteous from the manager/owner. I did feel secure; the procedures for getting to the rooms meant that even with a bar full of locals / non-guests, rooms were protected.
Breakfast was taken at the hotel next door as it was not available in the Pickwick. Nothing spectacular - a simple buffet, but with a discount for the children. The setting was nice and I noticed they have a real pizza oven, so it's probably worth a look at for lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: Get a river view if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights . Single traveller.

Good.
Rooms are clean. Facing lake. Quiet close to train station say 7-10 mins walk. Good location.
small rooms and basic amenities.

Bad.
No reception for this hotel. The bar is the reception. If bar staff are busy then you have to wait for checking in. Bar is very noisy and crowded. Bartenders are the one doing checking in. Not possible to get any information about the city or surroudings as the bar staff are always busy entertaining clients
May not be good option for those with family.

Price -- CHF 85-180 depening on room choice and season
Good for one two day stay.

Room Tip: ask for high floors and face the lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fenton, Illinois
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had the best experience staying at Hotel Mr. Pickwick in Lucerne. Ramona checked me in and was so friendly and welcoming. Sylvia took me to my single room and helped me with all the locking procedures. My 3rd floor room looked right out on the Chapel Bridge with all the flowers. I loved it. The bed was so comfortable.
I had an adapter problem and Pedro, the bartender helped me out by giving me theirs and he was helpful whenever I had a question.
The location is great also. Really can't see why anyone wouldn't want to stay here. Also just across the bridge from the train station and you can eat in the bar.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor and hear no noise from the pub. Also I had a wonderful view of the bridge of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo