“Excellent View from the mountain top.”
Review of Mt. Rigi

Mt. Rigi
Book In Advance
$77.85*
Mount Rigi Day Ticket
$142.73*
and up
Authentic Swiss Experience from Lucerne: Watch Producer Visit, Boat Ride, Rigi...
$800.17*
Mount Rigi: Full-Day Photography Tour
Ranked #3 of 82 things to do in Lucerne
More attraction details
Owner description: Mount Rigi's majestic peninsula on Lake Lucerne is the perfect Setting for an authentic Swiss mountain experience with unforgettable views of over 13 lakes and the spectacular snow-capped Swiss Alps. Located in the heart of Switzerland, Mt. Rigi can be quickly and easily reached from Lucerne and Zurich. It is the Swiss people's favourite mountain Destination, can be accessed via Europe's first ever cogwheel Train (est. 1871) and is renowned for ist numerous cogwheel railway and Aerial cable car routes. You can visit Mt. Rigi 365 days a year and there's plenty of outdoor action on offer, including 120km of hiking trails. The numerous lookouts, delightful terraces and the Mineral Baths at Rigi Kaltbad also ensure there are plenty of opportunities for rest and relaxtion on the Queen of the Mountains.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
sharjah
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Excellent View from the mountain top.”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed in Lucerne for 6 days . On 12th November we planned trip on lake lucerne. The caption of the boat suggested us to get down at Vitznau and go and visit Mount Rigi. That turned out to be a wonderful suggestion.

We got down at Vitznau and boarded the train to Rigi. The upward jurney is amazing. Stunning views. If you sit on the left side of the train, you will get the best views. the views are really stunning.

On the way back , we first took the gondola to weggis spend around 2 hours exploring weggis. A nice little town on the banks of lake lucerne. We had our lunch at the restaurant of Hotel Viktoria weggis. the served us the best Rosti and Casimir.

We went uphill to Rigi again using the gondola and took a train to Goldau. this is another route with good views. From goldau we took a train back to Lucerne.

We didnt spend anything extra for this whole day trip as all the travel is covered under swiss pass . Dont forget to buy your swiss pass when you are in Switzerland. We only paid extra for the trip to mount pilatus (50% discount ) and for our trip to Jungfrauch from Grindelwald.

2 Thank PVNair

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I didn't get to ride the rigi, but watched it climb the mountain. oN my next visit I will definately ride the rigi. It rides along the top of the mountain is what I was told, how amazing is that.

Visited August 2011
Seymour, Connecticut
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Most unique sunrise I've ever seen”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Watching the surise from the summit of Mt. Rigi was one of the most unique/coolest experiences of my life.

If you can, you need to see the sunrise. Wake up early and go to the very top and just sit back and watch the sun come up. It will be an unforgetable experience.

If you're in good shape take the cable car to the summit and hike your way back down. From what I remember, hiking my way back down only took a few hours and it allowed me to stop and check out things that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

I went to Mt. Rigi back in 2000 when I was a 19 year old kid studying abroad and traveling all over the place. So ya, it's certainly been awhile. I stayed at Massenlager Rigi Kulm, which was right at the summit. I have no idea if it's still there or if it's open. (Thankfully I took a lot of pictures and video and also kept a journal, and teach European Geography, so the memories have stayed fairly fresh.

If anyone knows if Massenlager is still open and if it's on tripadvisor, send me a message and I'll write a review of it.

Nottingham, England
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Stunning view and warm hospitality”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We took the cogwheel train from Vitznau to the summit ('Kulm') with friends who had three children under 10. The train is not cheap but the views are stunning. It takes about 45 mins to reach the summit and there are several stations on the way if you want to walk up or down. If you buy the day pass you can hop on and hop off the train and the cable car (which takes you part way up, to meet the train).

At the summit it is very safe for young children with strong fences and marked viewing platforms, but it can be windy at 1800m above sea level so hold onto your scarf and hat ! The views of the Alps one way and the lakes the other way are impressive.

Then you can have lunch in the self service restaurant attached to the hotel at the summit. They serve everything from coffee and cake to hot meals and alcohol.

I can not give it five stars because of the Swiss prices, but otherwise pick a clear day and enjoy.

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great view from the top!”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We took the boat from Luzern to Vitznau, and the cog wheel train from there. While the journey to the top of Mt Rigi is not as amazing as journey to Mt Pilatus, the views from the top are breathtaking. You can see a lot of central Switzerland from the top. Its great to see all the small villages and towns along the lakes. The view is definitely better than from the top of Mt Pilatus. So, if you visit both of these peaks, it won't be repetitive.

Visited September 2011