“Amazing Day in the Pre-Alps!”
Review of ECHO Trails

$312.66*
Private Day Hike of the Alps from Lucerne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ECHO Trails walking, hiking and biking tours take you out of the city into breathtaking scenery and fresh Alpine air. Come along for a tour of jaw dropping alpine vistas, quaint villages and working farms, hear the story at historic places and enjoy the picturesque countryside. Our passion is to share the incredible beauty around Lucerne and in the central Switzerland area. ECHO Trails works in tandem with Switzerland's efficient public transportation system and depending on the tour, we use a combination of local buses, trains and/or boats for transfers to and from our end destination. ECHO Trails native English-speaking, guided half- or full-day walking, hiking and biking tours are tailor-made for you. There are half-day, full day walks, hikes and bike tours to choose from. Even with limited time you can have a genuine Swiss outdoor experience. Small groups – maximum 15 people per tour, carefully chosen trails, informative itineraries, friendly and enthusiastic, English-speaking guides, for anyone in average physical condition, guaranteed departures, all tours include historic or cultural insights, relaxing pace with frequent photo stops, all transfers on public transportation system, each tour includes a stop at a scenic restaurant.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Day in the Pre-Alps!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

It was our first trip to Switzerland, and we knew we wanted to experience the Alps in the limited time we had! We researched and booked ECHO Trails before we arrived, so we knew we were only taking a chance on the weather. I'm so happy to say that everything was perfect. Renè met us at the train station, where we used the time on the train to plan our route to the top of Mt. Rigi. We were all experience day hikers, so we only took the cog-wheel train 1/2 way up, and hiked the remaining 2 1/2 hours. The sun was shinning and we stopped often to take in the views of the growing Alps as we got higher and higher. Renè was great with the knowledge of the area and Switzerland in general, he answered all of our questions. My favorite stop was about 3/4 up, when we stopped in a local farmer's house, where we snacked on his freshly made alps cheese & Swiss beer. The last part of the hike up was the steepest, but well worth it!
On our way down we took our time, with a picnic lunch overlooking Lake Lucerne. We decided not to do the spa, because the weather was so great, that we didn't want to go inside. We did look at spa, and if it was colder outside, I would have been more than happy to use it. From the Spa we took the cable car down to Weggis, which was fast, and also had great views. The boat ride back to Lucerne was fun, and had a great view of the Mt. Rigi, showing us how far up we really were. I wish we had more time in Switzerland, but using one full day of our vacation for this hike was well worth it!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nickawicka
Rene W, Owner at ECHO Trails, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Our hike together was one of the nicest days in May so your Lucerne, Swiss trip planning was right on! We all saw the armada of Swiss boats on Lake Lucerne from our perch on Mt. Rigi. I later learned this show of all the Lake Lucerne boats was to showcase one of the renovated "paddle steamers" that was put back in the fleet that day. It was a pleasure hiking with you and wish you many fond Swiss memories.

Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The Best Experience You Will Ever Have”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I went to Lucerne as part of our Europe trip and the one thing we wanted to do more than any other way go hiking in the Swiss Alps. Echo trails was the highest rated guide on trip advisor so we booked in and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Two things make this hike so special - 1 is the mountains themselves. Breathtakingly beautiful, covered in snow when we went and spectacular views from the top of Mt Rigi. 2 - The guide, Rene. An exceptionally nice and extremely knowledgeable man, he will delight you from the outset with service matched nowhere else is Lucerne. We had picked a hike from his website and booked it in prior to arriving but on the day the weather wasnt to good when we left Lucerne so Rene gave us plenty of options of how to get the best out of our hike. We met him at the train station, caught the train to the base of the mountains and caught the cog wheel tram a few hundred meters up to the starting point of the hike. The weather wasnt too good over at Mt Pilatus so Rene suggested we take a hike up Mt Rigi where the views would be much better. We told him what we wanted out of our hike and he was totally flexible to every request we made. Luckily we were the only couple on the hike so that made it a bit easier. The hike to the top was absolutely fantastic, not very difficult at all but I strongly recommend waterproof hiking shoes and a warm jacket. At every junction on the way to the top Rene let us know what to expect each way so we kept choosing the path we thought was most interesting to us. Once we got to the top, unluckily some clouds had settled in so we didnt have a good view. Rene suggested we have lunch at one of the resteraunts to wait it out and see what happened which we thought was a great idea, but unluckily again the restaurants were shut on that particular day. But being Rene, he had a trick up his sleeve. He knew a local cheese maker nearby who had an open door policy for friends of Rene and before we knew it, we were sitting in a warm comfy room eating home made cheese fondu made from the cheese makers own produce! Rene took a video as it was so cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l946JJrwsjw
Once we finished lunch the sun had come out and the view was spectacular. Because we were the first couple who hiked up that particular part of the mountain with Rene, he even let us name the trail which has now been titled, the 'No Worries' trail (because being Aussie that is what we kept saying whenever he asked how we were fairing). If you ever find yourself in Lucerne, just do this and you will remember it forever.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MikeS2222
Agnes Water, Australia
“Hiking in the Snow”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am from Australia visiting my daughter and son-in-law and awaiting the birth of my grandchild. My daughter suggested I visit Lucerne and as she knows how much I love to walk helped me find a guided winter hike to Mt Rigi. With Renè for my guide and a perfect day we set off first by train, then cog train, then tèlècabine to the start of the walk at Rigi Scheidegg. The walk on compacted snow was easy and the 360 degree views stunning. I felt that I was on top of the world. Along the 7km walk Renè gave me lots of interesting information about the Lucern area. Once we got to Rigi Kaltbad I enjoyed the pleasure of 2 hours in a mineral spa. Very good for the muscles after the walk. We then headed down the mountain by télécabine to Weggis then back to Lucern by boat. For me being an Aussie I got to experience lots of firsts but my favourites - the walk in the snow, the spa bath, the breathtaking views and the company of Renè who went out of his way to make sure my trip was memorable. Thanks Renè for a job well done.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Helen Y
Rene W, Owner at ECHO Trails, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Helen,

The Winter Guided Mt. Rig tour was designed for people just like you. It's great to know you enjoyed the various tour segments as much as I enjoyed putting this tour together. Wishing you continued happiness in your Sun & Sea "down under" home. With best Swiss regards, Rene
Lucerne, Switzerland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lucerne hikes as well for your kids attractive”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Before the Swiss winter hit we had the chance to join a cool hike with the specialists from Echo-Trails Lucerne. For our daughter Kira it was a first to hike for a longer time. But she did enjoy it to 100%. At any corner the team of Echo Trails could show her something of interest, Animals from large to small, Mushrooms and other Plants. Thanks to Maria and Rene for this real cool experience. Living in the area of Lucerne since 8 years, still Echo Trails showed me the real Swiss hiking thing

Visited October 2012
Costa Mesa, California
“Hiking the Alps”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This summer my friend and I had the most amazing opportunity to hike the Swiss Alps. We found out about Echo Trails guided tours through the Alps, and coming from California we did not know much about the intimate details of the Alps or how to get around. Our tour guide, Rene, met us at the Lucerne train station and a beautiful train ride, a bus, and a gondola ride later we found ourselves surrounded by the most majestic sight we could imagine. We thought the train ride was beautiful, but the more and more we got into the Alps, the more beautiful it got. It was an amazing trip, it was almost surreal! I cannot speak highly enough of our experience there! Gorgeous absolutely gorgeous, and Rene was so great, easy to talk to and he made the trip really fun for the two of us, he went at whatever pace we wanted to, showed us a lot of historical landmarks, introduced us to the locals who live up in the Alps during the summertime to make cheese, we got to eat it and go inside their house and see how they did it, and we got to soak in the day with no stress or strict timeline to follow. Out of all the pictures I have of that trip, the ones from that day are by far the best. The whole experience was fantastic and I hope to do it again sometime.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Brianna V
Rene W, Owner at ECHO Trails, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Bri,

It's nice to hear from a Californian. Thank you for taking time to provide your trip comments. It was a real pleasure to meet you this summer and wish you all the success in the pursuit of your dreams.