“very quaint but noisy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Hofgarten
Ranked #27 of 69 Hotels in Lucerne
“very quaint but noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Hotel Hofgarten is a very quaint hotel but it was very noisy. So much so that it was the worst night sleep that I had had in the previous 10 days of our vacation. Between the church bells ringing every 15 minutes and the traffic right outside the paper thin windows, I didn't get to sleep until after 2 am.
The staff is wonderful and the chef at the restaurant is truly an artist. He made a simple salad for us that was incredible! All of the staff were very attentive and conversed in English very well. If you can get a room away from the street noise, I would recommend this hotel. If not, forget it.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dfddjb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel was chosen based on readers reviews and ratings. I found the readers positives to be over-stated and negatives exaggerated. The service attitude from the front desk was good and generally helpful. The rooms were adequately furnished, moderately decorated and generally comfortable. Many reviewers had mentioned that the noise from a nearby church clock kept them awake throughout the night. They must surely have been guests during the 'open window' season. Both me and my daughter are very light sleepers and neither of us were kept awake by this noise (in either of our rooms).
The restaurant was another reason for choosing this hotel but I never took the chance to try it as it was suggested by one of the staff that the restaurant at the 'sister' hotel across the street might have better variety of menu. We took that advise and ended up having such a pleasant meal experience that we returned again the following night. While I can not speak to the hospitality of the dinner staff at the Hofgarten as I did not experience it, I can say that the décor at the Rebstock (sister hotel) was more comfy and inviting.

On balance, I would certainly recommend the Hofgarten Hotel to anyone visiting Lucerne. It is a clean, well run facility located well for all activity. I think it is a reasonable value at the SF124/night incl breakfast that I paid per room for my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a low floor facing the courtyard. You will minimize the sound of the church clock...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel. As a solo traveller, I refer to trip advisor to ensure that the hotels I chose are safe, central and comfortable. This one is no exception. An easy walk from the central train station if you don't have too many cases. The staff were helpful - they let me check in early and gave me a pleasant room overlooking the church. Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious, fresh and generous. I was able to walk all around Lucerne from the Hofgarten. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Zara H
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

First I will start with the restaurant. The meal we had was the best dining experience in 10 days of travel. Nice and casual surroundings, you can see the Chef and sous chef working away on your meal, had the veal shank with a nice demiglas sauce and palenta that I am still talking about. The staff was "go out of their way" helpful and happy to have us there. Travelers around Europe understand how nice that is! The room was huge by Europeon standards with a small kitchenette in a separate room with the bath. Large windows with a small Lake view. Right on a bus line to the train station but we walked with our bags in under 10 minutes. Highly recommend. The young Austrian manager was really a help and joy to work with. A lot for the money!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Charming hotel , very well situated , bus no 7 stops right outside for transport to station /About 10 mins walk to old city
Restaurant is excellent , highly recommended both for breakfast and dinner
Its away from the noisier locations on the waterfront
very friendly and helpful
I will certainly stay there again
Good value

Stayed October 2013
Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We chose the Hotel Hofgarten based on price and other reviews. While it was a good value for Lucerne, which is overall a very expensive city, we were a bit disappointed. First, the actual place did not look anything like what we expected from the picture posted on their website and the booking sites. It is on a narrow corner lot near the pedestrian walk area, but there is no place to really pull up to the hotel, no parking, no good street access that looks welcoming. To be fair, there was also construction taking place right in front of the restaurant access. Unfortunately the construction lso took place during the night, making it difficult to get a good nights sleep. While this is not the fault of the hotel, it was definitely a negative and the hotel did not offer any type of compensation for the inconvenience. The room was not at all what I expected. Very basic, with a funky little kitchen area when you first enter. No toiletries in the bathroom. Bed was comfortable and the breakfast was just fine. Overall, we had a nice stay, just not what I was expecting especially for a 4 star hotel and at the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank L&J
Lincoln, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Hotel Hofgarten was the perfect spot to start our 10 day Switzerland vacation. Our room was spacious and was a corner room, with 4 sets of huge windows. The morning breakfast was nice, and our dinner at the restraunt was one of the best meals we had in Switzerland! The staff was super friendly. There is a church across the street, and if you are a light sleeper the church bells may pose a problem, but we were able to have our windows open and still get a good nights sleep. It was well located to the Lion Monument and within easy walking distance of the train station and old town. We would stay there again!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family