“Friendly staff and nice location”
Review of Hotel Hofgarten

Hotel Hofgarten
Ranked #33 of 66 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The positives are that the location is convenient for the town but not dead centre, the room was a good size, clean, good facilities in the room and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Having said that the breakfast was fine, nothing to make it stand out though. There is the church almost opposite and whilst the room is double glazed they could bother a light sleeper.

The main negative here was the WiFi. The connection was good in the room but the speed was incredibly slow to the point where at times it was unusable. The other main problem (which is not just an issue for this hotel but Switzerland in general) is that it's relatively expensive.

I would still recommend it to anyone going there to stay here though

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

About 10 walking minutes to Luzern Bahnhof, room is clean and quiet in the night. The hotel staff are very friendly.
But WIFI signal is very very weak.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is a charming small hotel with genuinely friendly and helpful staff. We stayed for 8 days with quite a lot of luggage and even though the very attractive room had limited storage space the staff found enough solutions to satisfy us (extra coat stand, hangers etc). The first evening we had problems with WIFI but this was also solved first thing in the morning and it functioned perfectly for our whole stay. The position is great, a few minutes walk to the lakeside, about 20 minutes walk to the station and cultural center. The breakfast was also great (and people came from outside for breakfast in the garden). The decor is attractive and original - ceramic reliefs on the walls outside the room with matching key holders (good traditional keys for Shabbat observers).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Hofgarten for 3 nights in August 2011. The hotel has a small, comfortable, family atmosphere. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful and even packed me a small breakfast on my last morning when I had to catch an early train. The hotel is on the older side and the rooms do not appear to have been renovated recently but it was still very comfortable. I'm sensitive to noise but the church bells did not bother me. I just kept the fan on at night and this drowned out the noise of the bells. My favorite part of my stay was the restaurant. My stay included breakfast and they offered a lot of options (hot and cold). I also ate dinner there two nights and the food was amazing! The outdoor garden was very peaceful and the waitstaff were very friendly and accommodating. Lucerne is expensive and considering this I think this hotel is a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard/garden if one is available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for three nights. It was charming, clean and a great location. You are able to walk everywhere. I stayed there by myself and the room was large enough that i could have shared. The only issue I had was the WiFi in the hotel was so slow that is was basically useless and the internet on the computer in the lobby was not working. I only came across one bar that offered free WiFi and conveniently it was only a block away. I would stay there again but i would just plan ahead regarding the internet access.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights, second week of October 2011. We arrived by train and found the walk from the station to the hotel relaxing, refreshing and a great introduction to the sights of Lucerne. The hotel was an easy walk from the station, and in a great location, within easy walking distance from the city centre. We found the staff, including the owner, were most welcoming and made our stay feel like we were at home. The Hotel has a boutique and arty feel about it which was a pleasant change from the same-old standardised feel of larger hotels. The bedroom and bathroom were spacious for 2 people, comfortable and fully appointed except for air-conditioning, which at that time of year, was not required. We found the included restaurant was so good, we had our evening meals there almost every night, and on one occasion, even the owner served us and was so hospitable and friendly. Some people have commented on the nearby church bells; we found they added to the charm of the place and didn't disturb our sleep one bit, and we slept with the windows open. All the staff were genuinely friendly and would happily chat if invited but not intrusively so. Food and coffee was excellent.
Switzerland was the highlight of our UK & Euro trip, with Hotel Hofgarten being the icing on the cake ... highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Graham R
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stay here for 4 nights n we arrived 11pm and the girls are waiting there until our arrival, then everyone was disappear when I go into my room. How I know .... Because I step down to the front desk and asking for a kettle but no one there. But I can have it the next morning and keep it for 4 days haha.We stay on top floor ,room is not big but enough for 2 adults with 2 big baggage n we can walk around in the room too . Breakfast is really good. We have dinner in the hotel also, the service n the food is GOOD with reasonable price.(We tried the US restaurant outside the corner first night and the food is disappointed and price is the same)
Location is ok for sight seeing with 10-15 mins walk to the train station. I highly recommend this hotel for everyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple