“Amazing experience, pity about the clouds.”
Review of Mount Pilatus

Ranked #1 of 91 things to do in Lucerne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I went up Mt Pilatus on a day that was forecast as cloudy with sunny intervals. The sky looked gloomy in Zurich before I bought my tickets but I asked for advice at the ticket office and they said it could be clear at the top. Didn't have much else planned and as I needed to be at Zurich airport to catch my 4.30 flight I made a quick decision. I left Zurich around 8.30 and got to the top of the mountain at about 10.30. The cable car ride up was fantastic and I got some good pictures until we hit the clouds. You could see nothing from the top (it was -10 degrees). But I didn't really care. The exhilaration of being so high up was enough! I would do it again in better weather though just to actually see what the view would have been like. Especially as you could walk around parts of the mountain that had been cut into to make viewing decks. Also the viewing point right at the tip of the mountain seemed to have a 360 degree view. I didn't stay up there long, maybe 30mins and made it back to Zurich HB for 1pm. I only wish I had visited Pilatus on the same day I did Mt Rigi, as I was in Luzerne by 2pm afterwards and could easily have done Pilatus on the same day. It was just 2 days earlier and there was not a cloud in the sky! So for those that are short of time and want to do both in a day - it is possible! Only if it's the views you're after though, if you plan to eat/hike/take part in sledging etc then you need a full day at each.

2  Thank badgers12
Write a ReviewReviews (4,780)
All reviews
in 77 reviews
"enjoy the view"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We took the Cog Train up to the top, it was an amazing ride, steepest cog train in the world I think. The views heading up the mountain were really something but the view from the top were spectacular. We brought up our own lunch and ate outside the cafe up there. we had to fight off hungry birds the whole time but it wasn't too bad. We walked the trail around the mountain and that was great as well, saw mountain goats! Amazing place to take pictures as well. Totally worth the price of the ticket which was expensive.

5  Thank Cory W
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and the wife took the kids, 6 and 3, the whole 30 minutes and two gondolas to the top, all the while searching for the dragons that live on the mountain. The ride alone was a blast - especially on a cloudy day where, for the very last and most altitudinous leg, there was no visibility from the cable car. Just floating...and then the mountain appeared over the clouds. Every soul gasped...once atop, there are TWO hotels, a series of dragon caves (dragons not in attendance at time of visit), and the ability to sunbathe in your parka at 7,000 feet. Oh - and if sledding is your thing, you can sled all the way down to the town below. Fabulous.

1  Thank Marshall R
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Visited Mount Pilatus from Lucerne. Very easy to get there via Bus 1 to Kriens using my Winter Tell Pass. Get off at the stop before Kriens where the church is so you dont have to walk too far. From the bus stop, walk up the hill to the Mount Pilatus station. The golden trip train is closed during winter so the only way up is via the cable cars.

It takes about 25minutes to go up the mountain in two cable cars - one small one then a bigger one. When you get to the top, you'll find most of the walking tracks closed. Probably too dangerous to walk on during the winter. On a good day, you'll be able to see Lucerne and the lakes from the top of the Mountain. It's awesome! Take the bigger cable car down then rent out a toboggan for an hour. That's all you really need unless you want to go back up again. It'll take about 20 minutes or so to get to the bottom of the toboggan run. You have to walk 10-15 minutes to get to the cable car station. It's uphill, which isn't fun when you have to drag/carry a toboggan with you. Catch the cable car the rest of the way down.

Great day out but probably better in the summer time when the Ropes park is open and train is running.

6  Thank Katrina T
See more reviews
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place is a gem! There is nothing about Pilatus that I didnt like. The gondola ride up is nice and relaxing. Listen for the bells of the cows from the gondola. Once at the top, I spent hours just walking around all the trails, taking pictures of everything. You can see for miles and miles while the swiss horns play in the background. The cog wheel train ride on the other side of the mountain is really fun and STEEP! Once down the mountain, take the boat back to Lucerne. Really relaxing while enjoying the views of the mountains, vineyards, and small towns along the way. Pilatus is a must see!

3  Thank Scott_H403