“Best accommodation in lucerne!”

and 1 more site!
Lucerne Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I researched so many accommodation options looking to find the best value for money in terms of location and facilities and am so glad we booked at the backpackers lucerne. It's about a ten minute walk from the city centre and train station which was perfect for us, and was incredibly clean! Staff were so helpful and even printed off a train ticket we urgently needed the next day. Would definitely stay here if we come back to lucerne again!

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Lucerne Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our first experience with a backpackers as we had heard a lot of good things about the Swiss Backpackers. Although we stayed in a private room we had to share the bathrooms and wash, something we are not comfortable with. Some of the other Swiss backpackers have that option. The walls are a little thin so you do hear doors shutting, things being moved around and loud sounds from the student hostel above, so sleep quality is a question. You make your own breakfast or walk quite a bit (about 15 -20 minutes).

As compared to the hotel options it is way less in price so thats a plus. The staff is really helpful and will help you with what to look around the city, mount Titlis and mount Pilatus.

One thing we missed on was that if you stay 3 nights and have a valid Swiss Pass through those days, you get the third night at half price. Remember that if you are there for that long.

1  Thank Sandnya
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having never stayed in a hostel before, I was a little skeptical about this one. Pleasantly though, I had a very good experience at this place. For starters, I had booked a twin room instead of a double room, but the lady at the reception was kind enough to change it for us at the last moment in spite of the place being quite full. Also, she made sure that we got a lake facing room on request.

Coming to amenities, it has all basic amenities in the kitchen area with utensils, oven, hot plates etc. The kitchen was always filled with people and still was very clean whenever we used it. The bathroom though a shared one was just across the room and was also spotlessly clean and always available as in we never had to wait for it. There is also a seperate area with basins and mirrors to brush and shave. The room had an old looking almirah though we never used it.
There is a common lounge area where one can sit and relax.

The hostel is around 15 mins walk from the station, though its a nice walk with lake just beside you all the time. Lake Luzern is right across the hostel and on one warm and sunny day, the whole place looked amazing with all kind of activities like family picnics, children playing etc.

Finally, as they provide a kitchen, you are not allowed to use your own water heaters, a fact which we didnt know of. (our mistake as the fact is put on the reception). As a result, our water heater was taken by the management, and was only returned on check out, with a smile and no questions asked though, so no harm done there.

All in all, good value hostel with all basic amenities of a decent hotel.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having travelled around a bit, I can definitely say its more than the average backpacker's hostel. Its a bit far from the train station (around 15-20 mins walk) especially if you are carrying heavy bags. On the brighter side its right next to Lake Luzern and has a gorgeous park. We stayed in a room for 3 and the rooms were basic but quite cosy. The linen and towels were spotless and so was the room. There were cupboards which one can use to lock stuff up (you need to use your own locks). The toilets and shower and right opposite and are very clean. Since washbasins and mirrors are provided additionally, one does not need to queue up to brush. There was never a huge queue to use them. The first toilet for men where for the first time I saw graphic descriptions to sit down and use the toilet to pee. Quite interesting use of graphics in my opinion. The hostel staff are very helpful and more than willing to help. It has a small but quite functional kitchen (or 2 of them) and a nice lounge to relax. Worth the money.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a balcony facing the park.
2  Thank bonii_vivek
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I can't stress enough how clean this place is!!! We were really not expecting much given that it was a backpackers' hotel so we were really impressed when we got there

The rooms and bathrooms were spotless and we never had to wait to use the washroom. The staff were also wonderful and so friendly especially Andrea whom we adore!!!!

You can also get tickets for excursions from them at the hotel itself. It is about a 15min walk to the main area but it is a beautiful walk past a lovely lovely park

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I like this hostel a lot.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I stayed at a four-bed room for one night and it was quite ok. The hostel has all the necessary facilities. The kitchen was very spacious. Wifi was good but only in the common area. The common area was very well decorated and it was very charming. They played pleasant music and the ambience was great.

Another thing I liked about this hostel is they gave free postcards. The cards got the hostel’s logo on it but nevertheless they were still beautiful. Very thoughtful of them.

The only drawback is the location. It’s quite a bit of walk from the city. When I was there, it rained and was very cold, so it was very uncomfortable to walk from the hostel to the city and back. But I suppose if it’s close to the city, it wouldn’t be so cheap (cheap as in Swiss price).

Overall my stay at the hostel was very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Backpackers Luzern in June, I had a private room with 2 bunk beds. The place was nice and clean, good security, friendly staff, and there was a fine internet connection which worked in my room too. It was quiet at night while I was there. The location was fine for me, as I was in Luzern to watch a sport event in SwissLife Arena, which was right around the corner from there. Bring your own padlock for the lockers, and remember to bring your sheets to the reception when you check out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo