“Good to stay but a little bit far away”

Lucerne Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The staff were very friendly, the room and the toilets were clean. The location is awesome very close to the lake side but if you want to go to the city centre and the train station you will walk about 15min.
Anyway it is a good place to stay

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed one night. Room was clean and staff polite and very helpful. Free Wi-Fi and parking place just outside the hostel. Very reasonable price for Switzerland. 10 minutes walk from train station and city centre. Hot water all day. Good facilities. Kitchen etc. Towels not included in room price but you can get one very cheap from reception.

I can highly recommend that place for everyone. Definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kurzew
Reviewed January 24, 2013

everytime we play with our band in lucerne we stay at this place.
(about 5 times now)
we LOVE it !
ofcourse it's very basic, but what do you need more than a clean room and showers ?

staff is friendly and helpful.
location is super ! in front of the hotel is a park with lakeview,
To get to the real "centre" of the city (where all the bars and restaurants are) is
10 minutes near the lake, and gives a good impression on the city.

watch out because check-in ends like 22:00 or so...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2012, we found staff to be very helpful and accommodating. It is set in a lovely location, right by the beautiful lake. We stayed in a private double room, with shared bathrooms. The bathrooms and showers were always clean and tidy. We were allowed into our room early, which was a lovely surprise after carrying our bags for ages! The laundry service is excellent. Kitchen facilities are great - although breakfast is not supplied, you can buy some cereals from reception.Close to a supermarket. Quite a few mosquitos found their way into our room ... but other than that I cannot fault this hostel! Had a fantastic time on our first trip to Switzerland, (were even given some free toblerones when we checked out!!)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie J
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Good quality hostel, kept very clean. It has a kitchen that is open all afternoon as well as the morning and evening, this can be useful in Switzerland if you are on a budget as eating out can be costly with current exchange rates. There is a co-op on the lower level of the railway station close by where you can stock up.

It is very close to the lake and you can walk down to the lake in a minute with a cup of tea and sit on a bench.

I went to the Lucernce piano festival this year and may go again next year, if so, I will stay at this hostel

BTW. The bedroom doors definitely do lock despite one report from an earlier reviewer

Room Tip: Front side faces the lake and you have a little balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We slept there in the month of June 2012. Overall, I think that this hostel have to be upgraded. The beds are old, in metal, noisy... Bedroom doors do not lock! We always had to put all our stuff in lockers. There was no A/C, the room was humid and extremely hot. There is no breakfast available. The wifi didn't work very well. There is no eletrical outlets next to the beds. The reception is not open 24h. However, the bathrooms were out the bedroom which is a good thing. This hostel is relatively cheap for switzerland and very well located in front of a beautiful park.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is my 4th time back at this hostel. I come to Lucerne often for seminars (I am a PhD student, and my supervisor is based at Uni Lucerne). I generally do not write reviews during my frequent travels, but this place is terrific! The staff is cheerful, helpful and courteous, the rooms are ALWAYS clean and the beds are so comfortable. I really love that every room has a balcony and the lake is right across the street. Also, there are heaps of magazines, games etc..a nice touch and amusement for those dreaded 'rainy' days. For my last trip to Lucerne my employer told me just to choose a hotel, so I decided to be adventurous and go with a a much more expensive "theme" hotel. Never again. Although I could choose almost any place I wish, I always chose to stay here now. For less than half the price of other accommodation I get lightning speed wifi, a spotless restroom and shower (which the other one certainly didn't provide) , a desk to work from (didn't have that either- a MUST for me), comfort and ALWAYS a smile when I head out to work at the Uni. Simply great! If you come to beautiful Lucerne (as everyone should once or twice), make this your place to stay! You won't regret it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business