“Worst night sleep in nice hostel”

Lucerne Backpackers Hostel
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Worst night sleep in nice hostel”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My friends and I chose this hostel as it was the cheapest place to stay in Lucerne or Interlaken. We rented a car and found pay parking easy enough out in the lane infront of the hostel. The hostel is at the end of this lane and shares this parking with park across the lane (adjacent to the lake). Absolutely, phenomal location to enjoy this park and the lake. There are ample benches surrounding the lake and a little beach area over the bridge. I sat out in the sand on the beach and watched a rowing team go for a practice, sailboats glide by, some brave souls go for a swim and lots and lots of folks doing the typical park activities (throwing frisbees/footballs, reading, having a tipple). This location was one of the best things about this hostel.

The hostel itself was professionally run and cleanly executed. Everything was neat and tidy and I could not have wanted for more. One of my traveling companions had never stayed in a hostel and I'm so glad this was her first as she was duly impressed. I did warn her that not all hostels were this nice! The interior decor was so fun and funky that I found myself wandering around just to take photos of how they had decorated for inspiration in my own home. The folks at the registration desk could not have been any more helpful and answered our many questions. With directions to the closest grocery store (a short walk away), we were able to get some grub and save a lot of money.

The three of us opted for a shared single-sex dorm room to save a bit of money and hope that the fourth bed was not rented out. The room had two sets of bunk beds, two desks and designated lockers for each bed. There was a nice balcony that overlooked the lane to the park and lake beyond. Everything was nice and clean. Directly outside our room was the wall of sink basins and mirrors (there is a photo of this in someone else's review). There was a separate female and male enclosed toilet with washbasin, which was nice since we know how gross boys can be. ;) The downside to this I suppose is if your gender toilet is occupied you would have to either wait or use the opposing gender,although I believe across the hall there was a duplicate set-up so you could go over there. There were separate shower rooms with sink basins. These rooms were spacious enough but the water temps in each were crazy bad. One room was freezing and the other was too hot even first thing in the morning when you wouldn't think availability of water would be an issue.

Now, to get to the 'worst night sleep' part of the review. The area we stayed in was loud. Not as in people yelling and partying or such, but everything echoed, EVERYTHING. Because our room was across from the wall of sinks and there's no carpeting, we could hear any movement being made out there. The door leading into this wing of the hostel slammed everytime someone entered or exited. The doors to the restrooms slammed. I am not typically a light sleeper and neither was one of the other traveling companions who also didn't sleep well. We did unfortunately get a fourth roommate late into the night who had to turn on lights to take a shower and settle in (understandably), which may have contributed to the sleepless night, but overall it was a horrible night's rest. Perhaps this loudness is less of an issue in the other areas?

I would certainly stay in this hostel again even with the bad night of rest and my friends and I would have enjoyed staying for a bit longer to get to know the other folks staying at Backpackers Lucerne as they seemed an eclectic, interesting bunch.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake as it's a great view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Considering your budget (if it is low) this is the one you definitely have to choose. Value for price.

But the walk in and out can kill, especially if you're lugging all your luggages. My friend's trolley wheel came off after checking in for the first night.

If you can afford, go for the hotels near the station. If not, this will have to be the best hostel hands down.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank angszeling
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

my friend & I had a short stop in Lucerne and decided to stay in this hostel. Taking the bus, it's only a few stops from the main station. However we had to walk some distance through a small alley yo get to the hostel. The facade looked like an old building but when we went in, the friendly services, the spotless rooms more than cover for that. The washrooms were superbly clean. There were a lot of mirrors in front of my room, more like make-up stations? The kitchen was clean too. What I really liked abt this place is the feel of being in a good hostel without much of the inconveniences you'd get at other hostels. Felt like going back to boarding school. but with no wardens of course..

• Stayed July 2011
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here and found the hostel to be very relaxing. It definitely didn't feel like a typical backpackers, if you are looking for pub crawls and drinking games and a general party atmosphere, this is not the place! But if you are after a clean, relaxing place with friendly and helpful staff this is the place for you. Location is a little bit out of town, but Lucerne isn't a big city so that wasn't really an issue. It's in a very residential area with a nice park across the road. The hostel itself is really nice. The two kitchens were always spotlessly clean and had everything you may need. The lounge area is super comfortable and has a really homely feel to it. Rooms were also very very clean and had plenty of space. Bathrooms were also clean, unless it's after the morning rush, some mornings were a bit messy. Wifi was free and worked really well in the rooms as well as the common areas. Overall, it was a really good place to call home for a few days!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Location is slightly away from town but overall is great. Recommend to budget traveller.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Well, like many people who are staying in a hostel for the first time I was a bit worried and fearful of what to expect! However, after two wonderful nights at this place I am really glad I stayed here. The service was really good. Like most places the people at the front desk are only as nice as the way you treat them and it was no different here! They were very friendly and ready to help. The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were cleaner than the ones at my house! I have to say the only problem I had was the wifi but besides that I give this place an A!! I highly recommend it to any traveler coming through Switzerland!

• Stayed October 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here for one night in July as we explored Switzerland. The positives: The staff were wonderful - so helpful and accommodating. The common areas were great and there was lots of room to cook and enjoy a meal. Our room was large and bright with a lovely treed view of the park across the street. The downsides: the location, it is quite a walk from the train station (20 minute) and away from any amenities. The hostel is very noisy with echos. The walls are plaster and the floors were stone so noise travelled quite a bit. There were some families that had no issues letting their children run up and down the hallways which could be a bit off putting if you're looking for some peace and quiet. None of the downsides are a reflection of the lovely people that work here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple