“Must visit museum!”

Lucerne Swiss Museum of Transport Entrance Ticket
Ranked #6 of 91 things to do in Lucerne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Switzerland’s most-visited museum is a place to experience the history of road-, rail, water- and air-borne mobility, as well as that of space travel. Its interactive attractions are sure to win you over – whatever the weather. Switzerland’s largest cinema screen in the Filmtheatre presents documentary films in XXL format. Meanwhile, the country’s largest, most modern Planetarium offers 360-degree flights to the stars. The Media World is where you’ll unearth new communication trends. And discover how famous Swiss chocolate is made from cocoa beans at the Swiss Chocolate Adventure visitor experience.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very attractive museum.lot of fun here,and lot of new information you can get here :).your kids will love this!

1  Thank Indrarko
Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"kids will love"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was there with my boyfriend, two adults, so mhmmm... We were wondering if it is not the attraction mainly for 10-year-old boys, especially that the ticket costs 30 chf. And yet: no! We had fun and learned a lot.
The highlight was for us helicopter simulator, crash test and Switzerland flipper. It was huge crowd there but the museum is really large, so you haven't feel this.
We spent there about 3 hours but if you are with kids, or just if you take your time, you can easily spend there one full day.
The museum is interactive, you have many exhibits that move, or when you press the button, something happens, or you can play many educative games. I think it is entertaining and interesting, for adults too. But when I will have kids, I will definitely go back!

1  Thank Jo-the-alien
Reviewed January 12, 2014

When someone says museum, I think of history and old artifacts, but this museum is a perfect example of Old meets New. Well preserved history along with modern day innovations!

The whole museum is divided into the various mode of transports- Rail / Water / Road / Air. And every section is as extensive as possible. I saw people of all ages enjoying the place, alike. There is a lot of learning as well as fun.

My favorite section was the "Air" section. There are two rides there, motion simulators. Please prefer the airplane simulator, the helicopter simulator isn't too good. The whole experience of seeing inside a plane especially the cock-pit was great! Also maybe my first and last experience using the "First Class" seats.

My only negative was the 3D Film which I decided to buy the tickets for. It was just not worth 10 CHF. The picture I chose seemed dated and the 3D was nothing to write home about.

A better idea would be to buy the 32CHF- 10 Museum ticket at the Helpdesk at Lucerne Railway Station.

2  Thank Wanderer2112
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent 3 hours at this museum during winter. It's a comfortable attraction that keeps you warm indoors!

The displays were plentiful, of planes, trains, cars, ships etc. Everything on transport can be seen here. You can view different type of cars.. And the different types of trains that the Swiss used. You can take a bus from the main bus station (at the train station), or you can take a boat ride. For which, everything is included in the Swiss Pass.

We also tried out the flight stimulator which is pretty fun even for my dad! There's many interactive programs that will keep you occupied.

1  Thank DawnKoh
See more reviews
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We used to go to this museum when we were kids growing up in Switzerland and we always loved it. Continuing the tradition, my dad took us and the grandkids (6 and 8) to the Transport Museum. They have really done a great job in making the museum even more interactive than before. There are little play breaks everywhere for the kids to get involved and do something. One of our favorite exhibitions are the old steam trains, especially the one called Elephant, because you can walk underneath the rails to see the beast's belly! In the public rail section there is also a place for the kids to pretend being a tram driver. In general in each section there is a place for the kids to try their hand at heading the transportation, for example rowing machines in the maritime part where you can race against others, the flight simulator in the flight section (which is the coolest section by the way), control tower operation, fighter jet pilot aptitude tests, etc.

We ate lunch in the restaurant, and it was really very good, offering the standard fries with meat variations, but also a vegetarian buffet of cooked vegetables, salad bar, and pasta station.

After lunch we took a break in the big court yard where the kids had a blast jumping on the high rope trampoline, and riding the go-carts and remote control trucks. Beware though that those cost extra.

At 14:00 we headed to the Planetarium to watch the Christmas story. I thought it was lame, to be honest except for when they showed the circling night sky. All three male adults of our party took a nice 30 minute nap. I would have enjoyed a real planet show, but it was for the kids anyway.

All in all it was a fantastic day, and the kids declared it their favorite museum ever. I have to admit though, one of the reasons we had such a good time was because we were not paying for it.105 With all the extras and lunch for 6 I think my dad laid down 350 CHF. So just beware. Super fun, but pricey.

AND FYI, my autistic son lasted 5 hours in a public place. That should give you an idea how fun this is. This is a great place from young kids to old.

1  Thank Vanessa2012