“wonderful way to spend an afternoon”

The Rosengart Collection
Book In Advance
More Info
$62.64*
and up
Lucerne City Tour
Ranked #8 of 89 things to do in Lucerne
More attraction details
Owner description: The private collection of Lucerne art dealer Angela Rosengart is open to the public since spring 2002. Over 200 important paintings and drawings by more than twenty world famous 19th and 20th century masters (Cezanne, Monet, Matisse, Picasso, Klee, Miro and many others) are on display in a neo-classical building specially remodelled for this purpose. Near the railway station.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was most impressed by the large collection of Picasso works at this museum. My husband and I had a very nice time strolling around this small lovely museum. I had never heard of Paul Klee prior to this visit but I must say now I am a huge fan. Does not take too long to get through (maybe 1-2 hours?) so easy to fit in even on a short visit to Lucerne. Highly recommend!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Lucerne is an amazing city in every way - beautiful architecture, medieval bridges and spectacular churches and mountain vistas. Across the street from our hotel, we discovered a fabulous museum with art by Picasso, Chagall, Pissaro, Klee and more! It was full of the most amazing pieces but didn't take hours to go through (as many museums can!) so it was a perfect 60-80 minute attraction in a city with much to see and do. I would highly recommend this to anyone who visits this beautiful city!

1  Thank sanguinewanderer
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is an amazing collection of late and middle period Picasso and 135 pictures by Paul Klee. FThere are other artists represented too. These include Monet, Renoir, Bonnard, Dufy ,Soutine, Matisse and others. Ms Rosengart is still alive and visits this gallery daily that she donated to the Foundation of which she is still president. I must not forget Chagall whose paintings fill one room. There are many highlights but for me the paintings of Rosengart by Picasso bring home the link between her and the painters on view, many of whom she or her father knew personally. So much to enjoy and the staff are very helpful in providing information. If only they could produce headphones with descriptions of the paintings, ones appreciation would be easier. There is an excellent curator, Martina who would do this so well. The Picassos are easier to unravel but the Klee collection is more difficult . Still, not to be missed on any account.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My daughter and I love art museums and took our non-museum loving family to the Rosengart Musuem during our short stay in Lucerne. We all loved this little gem of a museum. The very kind receptionist provided us with notes in english to help us better understand the artwork. The 30 minute film on the third floor was essential to our understanding of the art, it was very moving and enjoyed by all although our young children did not have the patience to read the subtitles. Sure enough, as we were leaving, Ms. Rosengart arrived at the museum. We did not speak to her, but can only hope she know that her gift of this collection to Lucerne is truly a gift to the world; our 3-generation family from Iowa will cherish our memories of viewing these pieces of art! About a week before our visit to Lucerne, my daughter and had I visited the Museum Ludwig in Cologne and I wish we could have done so after visiting the Rosengart Musuem as we had a much better understanding of Picasso's work.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Rosengart Collection had a good collection of Picasso and Klee's works. I am amazed at the beautiful collection and while they do not have an English audio guide, the kind receptionist provided me with notes on Picasso and Klee's works.