“Our group were very satisfied”
Review of Grand Hotel Europe

Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #38 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Solihull, UK
“Our group were very satisfied”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I visited Lucerne as part of a tour organised by Treyn Holidays. We travelled to Lucerne by train from Interlaken The trip took just over 2 hours along the shores of lakes and through picturesque valleys. The train was smooth and comfortable but did not have a restaurant or buffet car.
I stayed at the Grand Hotel Europe Lucerne for 4 nights as part of a tour organised by Treyn Holidays. As a single traveller I was allocated a single room on the second floor of the Hotel. The hotel is 4 star. The hotel’s entrance is on a side street away from the main frontage on Haldenstrasse. The hotel is about 20 minutes walk away from the Station though buses number 6 and number 8 pass the door. The entrance is unfortunately up about 12 steps with manual doors which is a most unfortunate entrance for those with mobility difficulties and those carrying cases. The reception area is sideways onto the main entrance and there is a bar off to the left. On the side of the main entrance is an internet room with access for 0.2 CHFs per minute. Beyond the bar is a residents lounge area and there are 2 large dining rooms. There is lift access to all floors with a separate lift for those accommodated on the 5th Floor. First impressions are of a hotel with style and elegance (antique clocks, marble columns, spacious seating and tapestries) with polished floors and chandeliers.

Accommodation corridors are wide and well carpeted in blue on my floor with that colour scheme continued into my room. I noted a small stain on the carpet.

My room measured about 3m x 8m with a bathroom built in featuring a bath in which I was able to lie fully. Linen is good. The room was very clean (on the second night I noted the wooden floors being cleaned for the second time that day) and well appointed. The room was well serviced for the second day. The absence of a hospitality tray was curiously due to ‘health and safety and fire regulations’? The bed had a wall mounted headboard with integral lighting and 2 bedside shelves. The bed linen was spotless and I slept well the first night. There was a desk set into an alcove with a flat screen TV. Overhead spotlights made this a very good area to work from with a stool provided. Generally, the lighting in the room was excellent. The window has an external pull down shutter giving excellent black out and a window you can open. The room was not air conditioned, though the bathroom area (see pictures) had an extractor fan. The TV had 36 channels, only one of which was English.

The room was completed by an open wardrobe and storage closet which was adequate for a short stay and there was an electronic safe. There is also 2 chairs and a cocktail table.

Our receptionist was a little functional rather than welcoming and we dined as a party. The meal on both nights (Night one was mozzarella salad, chicken and apple tart and on the second vegetable soup, sole and a chocolate mousse that was arranged as a work of art, plus coffee on both nights) was fine, though there was some difficulty with one of our party on the first night who couldn’t eat what was offered and an alternative took some negotiation. Waiters were efficient and helpful. Drinks were offered but were generally considered to be expensive. I think this hotel does substantial business with Tour Groups and this appears to make them a little blasé to individual needs. One of our group complained to the Manager on the first night when reordering a drambuie was told they had run out of stock. The Manager did assure them of no repeat on day 2.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank Topkoppite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Hotel has good rooms, very roomy with a rather small bathroom. Wonderful views over the Lake - train line in the back of the hotel, so make sure you request a lake view room. Hotel is about 15 minutes walking distance from old town. Seems to be very popular with tour groups, met mostly americans and japanese in the bar. Service in the bar is rather slow, they seem to be understaffed there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed September 21, 2010

My name is Ngan Tran from Vietnam. This is my pleasure to exhibit my thanks to all staffs of Grand Hotel Europe, Luzern in making an amazing and memorable journey to Switzerland.
Part of my trip to Europe, I and my family had spent 2 nights at Grand Hotel Europe, Luzern, Switzerland. During this time, I did receive a delighted service as well as deep care from all staffs of this hotel.
They were not hesitate not only in giving a hand to support our family but also in providing extra service such as an intensive guidance about the city as well as special drinks and service for my little brother. Obviously, smile always exists on all the staffs' faces. This enthusiastic attitude from all the staffs of Grand Hotel Europe did drive me in writing good recommendation for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2010

As the Assistant Team Manager of the GB Rowing Team, we have been staying at the Grand Hotel Europe annually since 2001 for the International Rowing World Cup Regatta held on the Rotsee, a short bus ride away. Given the size of our team, approx 70 people, and their different needs - Rowers, Coaches & Support Staff, the Grand Hotel Europe staff, especially the General Manager, Mr Agapios Panayiotou and his Reception and Catering Staff, have always excelled in making our stay a pleasant experience, ensuring that the team can perform at its best in competiton. The catering staff have always shown great understanding in last minute requests for late lunches, early breakfasts and for these reasons we return to the Hotel year after year. The rooms vary in size but we have never received any complaints from team members as to the standard of them, on the very rare occasions when issues have arisen the Hotel Staff have rectified any problems as quickly as possible. The food is of a very high standard and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to any 'group tours' visiting Luzern.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Axams, Austria
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The hotel has been sympathetically renovated with modern bedrooms, but maintaining all the art deco features of the public areas. What a transformation since I last stayed here some 6 years ago. The location is perfect - away from the noise and traffic of the town centre but just 10 minutes walk along the lake and you are downtown Lucerne. The hotel is spotlessly clean upstairs and down, the staff pleasant and friendly and the breakfast buffet offers plenty of variety. Although obviously a favourite with tour groups, we did not feel overpowered or crowded out by them. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue-Axams
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The staff could not have been nicer for our first night in Switzerland. The manager assured us the room would be ready soon and showed us 2 rooms to pick from. The view of Lake Lucerne was beautiful and the hotel was situated along the promenade of the lake.Breakfast was fine the next morning but I feel it was because the giant busload of tourists from Trafalgor was gone. A major stop for tours I think. A fine place to stay for a short stop.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Being part of the British rowing team , I spend alot of my time in various hotels around Europe whether for racing or staying for training camps , we come to Lucerne every July for our last world cup race of the season . It is my favorite rowing venue by far , not only is Lucerne simply one of the most stunning cities in the world , but the Grand Hotel Europe is excellent . The hotel is situated in an ideal location , it's only a short walk to the town centre and has a stunning lake view , it's very clean and the staff are incredibly accommodating., The rooms are well furnished with a modern feel . being a rowers we always require a large amount of food and unlike some other hotels we stay in where the food can get a little bland , the food at the hotel Europe is always excellent despite the quantity's we require them to provide. I've been coming to stay at the Grand Hotel Europe for the last seven years and every year the service and experience has been great, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to a friend

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business