“Great location”

Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Dallas, Texas
“Great location”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Very easy to locate. When you get out of the Lucerne Bahnhof station just walk on pilatusstrasse for about .4 miles and you will see a big board of hotel Alpha. Can't miss it if you keep walking on Pilatusstrasse.
The complimentary breakfast was awesome too!
They have Internet free only for an hour which I found very weird , although each extra hour only cost 1 franc an hour which I found worth the speed it offered.
The hotel has a hospital like feeling, because everything is white. I must say it is clean and well maintained though.
They have only twin beds and no queen or king beds which I found weird too. My wife and I were supposed to sleep at a distance of 3 inches from each other, what?!?!? ;-)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ankoor S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
calgary
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Alpha early September. The hotel is not far from the Train Station and is clean. There is no personality from the hotel or the staff. The room aka "sweat lodge" was sweltering hot, opening the windows didn't do a thing to help because we overlooked a courtyard with no air flow. We were able to get a fan from the front desk, it gave little to no relief from the heat. Lucky we were only staying one night. The patio we had and the courtyard was nice though, and had a nice view of Mt. Pilatus. Won’t be going back, there are other hotels in the same price range I have stayed at in Luzern that are better.

Room Tip: If going in the winter get a courtyard view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachbum1982
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Nice Hotel, you should just come here to sleep after a full days travel. Try to stay away from the Side rooms like 302/301 series ,especially on weekends, lot of noise outside hotel, a weekend party spot. Rest all is ok....superb connectivity via bus and walk.....at this price this one is the bes I must say....

Room Tip: Center of Hotel Area
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank neilnpatel-
North East Fife
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was a good hotel, the room was a decent size and the posters for the Mt Pilatus railway made me realise I had missed something in the guide books!

I had a view over the school which mean I got a bit of noise at times, but it wasn't that bad really.
Location is decent just off the main roads in a quiet area.

The male toilet/shower wasn't quite balanced right with 2 showers and 1 toilet, the other way round being preferable, and as the hotel has balconies and a sitting room for Smokers the smell did seem to hang in places (I'm from Scotland where you're unceremoniously dumped out on the street if you want to smoke), all in all though, really good basic accomodation

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Despite the low room rates, the hotel is in a good location, around 10 minutes walk from the train station and the same to the old town. The area is very quiet, with very little traffic, and I had a view of Mt Pilatus from my room on the 4th floor. The room itself was quite big, and it was very handy having a sink in the room. Breakfast was also very filling, mainly just a standard continental style buffet breakfast which set me up until lunchtime. The shared bathrooms were also spotless and I didn't have to wait at all during my stay.

Overall, if you're looking for an affordable place to stay in Lucerne and don't mind sharing a bathroom, I'd highly recommend the Alpha.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BalhamWolf
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our experience was very similar to those of the other reviewers here. However, we were a family of four staying in one clean, but very simple, room that felt cramped. It is hard to find hotels in Lucerne that have affordable quad rooms. Hotel Alpha's rooms are all the same size. So the rooms feel roomy for 2 guests and a bit cramped for 4 guests.

The location is ok. It is true that it is a 10 minute walk to the old town, but there is really nothing to see or do in the immediate area around the hotel. It is in a purely residential neighborhood. It is also not the central kind of location that allows you to walk back and forth to the hotel throughout the day. The neighborhood is very quiet on weekends and school holidays.

The hotel is very clean. The shared bathrooms were always clean and available when we needed them. The showers had great water pressure!

Breakfast was very good and plentiful.

Beds were great. We all slept beautifully.

The staff are very accommodating and helpful.

The price was competitive for Lucerne and the best deal we could find for our family of four.

Also, we were able to rent one of the four (or five?) parking spots at the hotel which were reasonably priced and a big bonus for us.

Overall, it was a good choice for our family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel Alpha is located within a 10-minute walk from the train station in a quiet location. It actually deserves three and a half stars -- it isn't average and neither jaw- dropping -- it's somewhere in between.

As a TripAdvisor contributor, I was pretty pleased to see the 2013 plaque that adorned the door. The reception was neat and tidy (-- although I didn't like the steps that led to it; made carrying the heavy suitcases tad bit difficult.)

We booked two rooms for our family of four. Clean rooms --- no frills to boast! Beds, pillows and comforters were nice and comfy! We were hoping that they will have rooms with connecting doors for the kids, but, unfortunately they didn't. However, the rooms were located next to each other. Apart from the beds, there was a sink and a wooden closet for your belongings.

Much to our dismay, the bathrooms are shared (just like in camp grounds). Along with two private showers (and rarely a queue), there was a toilet. The facility was neat and modern.

The breakfast was ok -- cereals, boiled eggs, meat, toast, tea, coffee and milk. I was disappointed that there weren't even fresh croissants.Although, I must say that the breakfast room was beautiful with big windows and tables, and a modern decor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family