“Loved this villa and Maria”

Pension Villa Maria
Ranked #48 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Kennett Square
“Loved this villa and Maria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2005

This was one of our favorite overnight stays during our recent trip to Switzerland. Maria is delightful, very welcoming, and attentive to all family members,including our 3 teen-agers. The house is very clean and the warm breakfast rolls were a nice treat. Our room faced the nearby busy street, but it did not interfere with our rest. Maria sent us to the Stadtkeller for a fun Swiss folklore dinner--not to be missed. A real gem of a B&B!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank Wyoming4me

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2005

I can't say enough positive things about Villa Maria. My wife and I
contacted Maria via email and secured a room the night before we were to
take an overnight train from Venice to Lucerne. When we arrived at 8:00
a.m. she allowed us to stow our bags at the house and explore the city until
our room was ready. The Villa is a nice stroll or short busride into the
heart of Lucerne.
We chose the street side room with a shared bathroom and it was great.
Street noise was minimal and although we shared a bathroom(with one other room on our floor) it was very private. Maria is the gem of Lucerne. Her personality is worth the trip not to mention her first rate knowledge of the area and her wonderful breakfast rolls! Maria also speaks five languages fluently so the conversation at breakfast is lively!
I would recommend Villa Maria to anyone looking for a quiet Lucerne
experience.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank ZweiHunde
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2005

Everything positive in the other reviews is true. This pension is extremely clean and bright, with a beautiful garden and only a few minutes walk to the bus, a ferry dock, or the promenade. It is just far enough out of town so that you can escape the bright lights of Lucerne. Maria is very helpful and pleasant.
There is only one problem. The pension is between the main street going out of town. There is lots of noisy traffic. Our rooms were great, but were on the streeet side. You could hear the traffic through the windows. Also, the facility does not have air conditioning, so if you open the windows you will really hear it.
I only mention this so you won't be surprised. I would stay there again,(but might request a room that does not face the street.)

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank AAM
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2005

I am planning a trip to Lucerne with my husband, my cousin and her husband. We always share a room with 2 beds to save on accomodation expenses. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Villa Maria on January 30th. I requested the rate for the family room/apartment they offer for 4 adults. The next day on Jan 31st, I received a pleasant response from Maria asking how many children we were traveling with. I e-mailed her back stating that we are 4 adults traveling together. She said that if we are 4 girls we could stay in the family room together or she could put us in 2 separate rooms. That's odd, but ok. I e-mailed her again and explained that we are not traveling with our children and that we will be 2 couples that are family and traveling together who want to share expenses and therefore, share a room. I also added, that if we needed to, we would stay in 2 separate rooms. (I can't imagine what she thinks we would be doing...we're just tourists for God sakes!) She sent an e-mail back the same day (this correspondence is all happening in a timely manner all on January 31st) saying the 4 of us can stay in the family room and she requested the credit card information to hold the room. On February 14th, when my cousin and the husbands agreed to stay in the pension, I gave her the credit card number and I attached it to the last e-mail she sent me requesting the credit card information, so she had a point of reference or so she could remember who I was. She never responded. I sent another e-mail on Feb. 19th with the same information. Again, no response. On Feb. 20th, I called Villa Maria in Switzerland (can't wait to see the phone bill) and left a nice message on the answering machine (nobody picked up after I tried calling 5 times) stating who I was and to please respond to my e-mails. Still no response. Keep in mind, I was always cordial and friendly. I really wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and I thought, maybe she is on vacation. I had my husband send her an e-mail inquiring about the rate for 4 adults in the family room for the same weekend. He received a cheery response on the following day and MARIA QUICKLY OFFERED HIM THE FAMILY ROOM SHE TOLD ME I COULD RENT ON THE SAME WEEKEND!!! AND, she asked how many kids will be with him after his inquiry clearly stated 4 adults. So, on the same day, I sent Maria another e-mail saying that I still wanted to rent the room; and why did she offer the room to my husband not knowing it was my husband; and AGAIN we were willing to stay in TWO ROOMS. She still hasn't responded!!! I sent a final e-mail asking why she doesn't want to rent to us but -- go figure -- no response. I guess she thinks we're swingers or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the end, I am sad that I can't have the same experience at her pension like the other reviewers have.

8 Thank clahners
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2005

We visited Switzerland in June 2004.. what a gracious hostess... and wonderful location... a few minute walk.. and you are on the lake.. and you could not find a more charming bed and breakfast... our bed was a little hard.. but this is definitely where we will return

9 Thank RonSCalifornia
Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2004

Maria's friendliness and servant's heart made our stay one-of-a -kind. She has that special gift of making everyone feel important. We hadn't planned on going back to Luzern, but would now think about it just to get to stay with her. What a gem!

5 Thank TravelinThru751
Seoul, Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2004

We stay in pensions, apartments, and B&Bs. This is the most clean, caring, and interesting place we have stayed in europe. The proprietess, Maria, (who fluently speaks at least five languages) is a real gem! Perfect location, too.

7 Thank Seoul_Tripster