“A step up from a hostel, but nice view from family room”
Review of The Tourist Hotel

The Tourist Hotel
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We got a family room as we need space for 4 people and most hotels only allow 3 in a room. The room was over Euro200, but it had a private bath and faced the river which was very pleasant. There was a patio area off our room which was nice but others mentioned it could be in use by smokers. The rooms do not have AC so as others mentioned you can get little bugs/gnats in the room but there aren't that many biting insects in Lucerne (for some reason - Europeans don't believe in either AC or insect screens). The breakfast was okay - some meats, cheese, fruit and they had a fancy machine that made lattes, etc.

The staff were generally helpful although one (Jim) snapped at us when we asked for our room key because he was chatting with several lovely young ladies about sites in town. We were able to buy tickets at the hotel for the Mt Pilatus trip - a must do - which was convenient. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 10am so we put our stuff in a locked closet until we returned in the late afternoon. The walk from the train station is about 15 minutes with a number of stair cases to go up and down.

It was nosiy in the morning because of the open windows and street out front starting around 7am.

A good place to stay, but on the budget side of things.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our family stayed here in mid July. Hotel is within few minutes walking distance to old town and 15 minutes walk from railway station.
Staff are friendly. We booked two triple rooms but at last they kindly allocated one triple room and one quadruple room. Rooms seem to be renovated, they are very basic, clean but not spacious. No kettle provided. Our rooms faced the back of the hotel instead of river. That means no view. As there is no air conditioning, you must open the windows to let air in. That leads to the following problem: (1) many insects came from outside because room facing the wall of the slope where many plants there; (2) no privacy and safety problem - slope outside is too close to our windows and nearly on same level of our rooms, so I can see people pass by and hear their voice. Fortunately not many people walking there. So better to choose rooms facing the river, but not know whether same room rate. Except this problem, everything in the hotel is above average.
I like their buffet breakfast very much. Food are good and delicious, eg fresh fruits and bread. Staff also refilled the food promptly.
Compared with others, the price of this hotel is reasonable.
Guest's luggage can be stored safely in a locked room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ritali294217
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed at a single room with shared bathroom on the first floor. The room was small but not tiny and had a dormitory bed, a table and a sink and was clean. It didn't resemble the pictures in the site - looks like a youth hostel and not like an hotel. My window were overlooking a small backyard used by smokers who could look into my room if I left the curtains open. I woke up early in the morning because i heard people walking in the corridor and opening and closing doors.

The shared shower was terrible: it has one toilet and one shower in the same small room and luckily no one entered the toilet while I was in the shower. In the shower you have to push a button to get the water running and it will stop after about 20 seconds and then you have to push the button again. The water pressure was very strong and you can't adjust it or move the head. The toilet/shower room was not clean and generally that was the reason I moved out of the hotel.

Apart from that the location is great, right on the river next to the old city, a bit far to walk with a heavy suitcase from the rail station but still manageable. I used the semi self service laundry machine and dryer (you have to ask at the reception to use it) so it was comfortable although the laundry machine is small (hardly contained my clothes) and the laundry room wasn't clean and was full of mould. Wifi was good and fast and the man at the reception was extremely nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Don't get a shared bathroom
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Time P
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I traveled alone and didn't really want to stay with strangers in a hostel, so my teacher who often takes study groups to Europe recommended me this hotel. My room was on the 5th floor, which is cheaper and of course not as good as those downstairs. It is clean and very simple: just a bed and a coffee table with two chairs, no drawers. The bed was really clean, comfortable and soft (like my own bed. other beds in Italy and Greece are hard as stone). The staffs were very friendly and gave me lots of advices about where to go. The breakfast was okay, plenty of choices. I miss the view of the room, the river, hills and mountains. However, it could be really noisy at night because it is located next to a road with heavy traffic. I had to close the window so I could sleep. Also, due to the low price, I had a shared bathroom and washroom with my next door. Sometimes, it could scared and embarrassing when you were taking a shower when someone came in. Overall, it is a good hotel to stay if you are on a budget and want a private and clean room. Everything in Switzerland is very expensive but worth it! It is such a wonderful place!!

Room Tip: Top floors are rooms with cheaper price but no balcony and less decorative. They are more like a hig...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rio Y
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were very surprised that this affordable hotel ( for Lucern ) , was so wonderful ! Our room overlooked the river and the rapids lulled us to sleep at night. We could view Mt. Pilatus
( worth the trip up there ), and the breakfast was included, which was delicious and plentiful. Jim, the Scotsman at the desk , was friendly and helpful . We were close to the bus system, the Old Town and good restaurants and the COOP ( market ) . The room was clean, fresh and the bath very updated . We hated to leave this lovely place with the wonderful view. We'd love to return !........we would recommend taking the bus from the train station to the closest stop, across the river from the hotel . It is very easy .

Room Tip: rooms with balcony overlooking the river.....wonderful !
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Balcony view is great. Hotel is a short walking distance to the "old town" but in a quiet area. Staff was great. The plus.....laundry facility on site!

Room Tip: select balcony room if available
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice property. Great location next to the river. Rooms were small but very clean. Helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family