All reviewsthe riverold towntrain stationbreakfast was includedbig bathroomtriple roomopen windowstea and coffeecold meatspleasant staybreakfast roommain stationfamily roommount pilatushotel is locatedbudget hotelchapel bridge
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Lucerne is expensive so I booked with the Tourist Hotel based on price and was very sceptical about how our stay would be. Of all the accomodation booked for our trip through Europe this was the one I was most worried about, BUT, this ended up being our best stay of our holiday!

The hotel is easy to find and Peter Roth at reception was very welcoming on arrival. He provided us with lots of tourist info about Lucerne, recommended sites and restaurants and we also got a tourist card to entitle us to certain discounts. We were already happy and we hadn't even seen our room yet.

Our room was a big surprise. I was expecting a dorm-like room with dingy bathroom with thin walls and minimal privacy as described in other reviews. What we got was a big, clean room with comfortable bed and modern furnishings. A huge bathroom with all the usual extras. A balcony with amazing view of the river and Mount Pilates.

Breakfast was perfect with a wide variety of eats to suit all tastes.

The reception was always helpful and we could book tickets for a trip up Mt Pilates with them.

Sitting on our balcony drinking warmed wine and eating Swiss chocolate overlooking the river and lights of Luzern will be one of our lasting memories.

Everything was great - the price, the room, the breakfast, the staff, the service, everything.

This hotel was just brillant, I expected the worst and we got the best.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony overlooking the river ensures your stay in Lucerne is a memorable one.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Lucerne is an expensive city, so the Tourist is quite a steal (at around 115 swiss fr that I paid per night). We got upgraded to a bigger room, since our pre-designated room was not free.....easy! To top it, it was on the river side, where you could sit out on the balcony and hear the soft sound of the water flowing by.

Pros: a basic breakfast spread which is filling, close to the old town, connected to station by bus (NO. 2, if i remember correctly) every 15 mins, and of course the canal. Not to forget, the staff who are always helpful. Good eating options about 10 minutes away by the canal bridges (Indian food also available close by, walkable distance).

Cons: the bathroom wasn't clean, one of the doors was broken so I had to go down to a different floor (we had taken the rooms without attached baths).

All in all, a good option for budget travelers, and a great option in terms of pricing. The only downside is the bathrooms, and that's a big one for me, so I might yet not return to this place if I had to go back now.

Room Tip: Ask for canal facing balcony rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotel is a 20 min walk from train station and the walk is beautiful through the historic town.

I would have given this place 5 stars but when we reached the hotel , the lady at the reception told me that they don't have a triple room with balcony available . I had requested through an email long back. She said they only have one triple room with balcony and it was occupied. I got pretty upset as I had told them that if they won't have a triple room with balcony , I will look someweherelse. So, she gave me a key and said, this will make you happy . I was still upset and then she changed the key and said, this will really make you happy, enjoy your stay. We went up to 3rd floor half heartedly and when we unlock the room, it is a triple bed room with balcony !!!!! Why lie ? She totally ruined our stay.
We asked for a fan , which we never got even though my husband was told by a man at reception, that he will be right up with one.

Room - Spacious, clean except for under the bed (VERY dirty), nice comfortable bed, not so nice pillows, they were very soft , lots of plugs, converter was given in the very spacious-clean bathroom (nice touch) , toiliteries,hair dryer, safe , nice thick and cozy comforters , TV in room has no english channels. Rooms had paper thin walls.

Amenities - Self service laundry available from 7 am to 10pm for 10Frs (basket and soap included) ; bathroom water is safe to drink ; Microwave available till 9:45 pm.

Breakfast - Lots of drink choices ( coffees ,teas ,hot milk, juices ) , breads, cereal , meat ...
The lady in the breakfast room was very sweet.

My husband found Peter Roth very helpful and nice .He was thankful he did not have to deal with the woman we 1st encountered. The hotel is very good for price and our stay was comfortable but just because we were not given the room of our choice right away , we felt cheated the way that lady dealt with us. Why lie to us when she had the room available that we had requested ? Next time we will stay somewherelse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony, the view is beautiful and the sound of flowing water is very relaxing.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2011

You need to have your expectations set before coming here - it is more of a pension with some extras rather than a hotel. That said, it is priced like a pension too, and good value for money.

Pros:
1. Great location wrt historic city, facing the river. It is around 15-20 min walk from the main train station, which is ok enough. However with luggage you would be better off with a bus/cab. Bus no. 2 from the station takes you almost directly in front of the hotel.
2. Very helpful front desk staff - providing info, attending queries, booking tours etc.
3. 24/7 use of microwave and electric kettle in the central kitchen - extremely useful!
4. Luggage storage free of charge
5. Reasonable rates considering how expensive Lucerne (and all of Switzerland) is.
6. Big rooms, very clean, daily housekeeping
7. Free wifi (which worked, didn't face any probs the 3 days we were there)

Cons:
1. Tiny bathroom (ours was attached to the room on the 4th floor), bare minimum toiletteries
2. Breakfast is okay - don't know the usual swiss standards, but definitely just "okay" compared to those in Germany pensions

Would definitely recommend this hotel as a budget option with good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Tourist was easy to find by walking downriver and crossing the bridge. We came in by train so didn't need to worry about parking. The hotel has a locked room to store your luggage in the event that you arrive in the morning, before your room is free, as we did. Rooms were very basic but clean. The two of us had a large room with four twin beds and shared toilet and shower across the hallway. We stayed on the river side and had a fun view of Mt. Pilatus. Breakfast was more than I expected and included toast, jams, meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurt, juice and coffee. Room was rather warm, so we slept with the balcony door open, which sufficiently cooled the room enough to sleep comfortably.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple