All reviews lion monument train station luzern city walkable distance family room street parking old town hotel is located shopping area free wifi reception area comfortable stay side street breakfast spread room size coffee machine min walk
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here for one night while on a Cosmos tour, so there were quite a few of us staying there! I definitely enjoyed this hotel! Unfortunately, it was a rainy day while we were in Lucerne so we weren't able to take full advantage of the hotel's close proximity to downtown, but it was nice to be within walking distance! The rooms were very clean and well kept.
We had dinner at the hotel included with the tour. The dinner was very delicious and they even brought out alternatives for someone who is allergic to cream! The dessert (some type of custard) was sooo delicious! I would love to have some now!
Breakfast was fantastic! Many different choices, including some hot foods such as eggs and sausage.
Would definitely stay here again if I were ever to revisit Lucerne!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lin P
Peter T, Manager at ibis Styles Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the ibis Styles Luzern.

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at ibis Styles.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel is centrally situated to all access . Hotel is good , rooms are quite large which we don't expect in Europe. Loved the stay .. nice coffee room as this central idea increases communication with different traveller.
Good breakfast spread.
overall a good stay in Luzern

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Peter T, General Manager at ibis Styles Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Client

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire. I very much appreciate your positiv comments regarding your stay at the ibis Styles Luzern.

We look forward to welcoming you again at ibis Styles Lucerne City

P.Tanner GM

Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's my first visit to an Ibis Styles hotel. It's conveniently situated in a quiet street close to the centre of Luzern. But the colour schemes in the rooms and particularly the choice of the two clashing carpets along each corridor give the impression of being brash, cheap and tacky - not my idea of stylish!

The breakfast, which is included in the cost, had a good choice but thought it unnecessary and slightly offensive to read a notice on each table that a charge would be made for any food which was taken away. I would hope that their guests wouldn't consider doing this anyway.

At check-in I was told what I would have to pay when I left and I had to tell the receptionist that I had already paid in full. I was slightly more irritated when, on checking out, I was again asked for the full payment.

One further irritation. I didn't know that Switzerland did not use the standard Continental style socket. When I asked if they had a suitable adaptor I was told I could purchase one from their vending machine for CHF15. It would have been a pleasant gesture to show they wanted to provide a service by having a small supply which guests could borrow, even if they had to pay a deposit. I bought the appropriate adaptor at a local shop for CHF8 instead.

I won't choose to stay at an Ibis Styles hotel again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank pdmco
Peter T, Manager at ibis Styles Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Client
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Styles Luzern. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis Styles, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hotel ibis Styles luzern City

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Normally I would not review an Ibis as this is a known brand but the Ibis Styles in Luzern stands out as an ultra-convenient hotel and with excellent service. The decor is a bit tragic, painted in primary colours, stripes and spots - as an architect, I would love to advise Ibis as this cheapens the hotel rather than lifts it, but beneath the mad colour scheme is a very good hotel. I am a member of the A Club so I was dutifully upgraded (loyalty programmes do work) but even then, the service from the front desk was very professional and friendly to everyone. Free WifI is always welcomed and you could get passwords for every device, helpful for business travellers. The rooms should all be quiet as this is on a side street. Breakfast was a disappointment in this overly plastic room and while many guests were in the breakfast room/bar at night, it didn't work either as a sterile and soul-less bar or a canteen type breakfast room. Not the fault of the staff who tried hard to make it work. Again a lesson for the Ibis designers. The location is fabulous and you are on the lake in a few minutes but also nearby are many shops, restaurants etc. Some reviewers noted the long walk to the train station but it is easily walkable so don't take the taxi if you have a trolley bag, it takes about 10-15 min max along the lake which isn't so bad. Will stay there again.

Room tip: I think all rooms are quiet but as always ask to stay away from the elevators. I had heard the upper rooms are better and if you have a loyalty card, try to be upgraded, it works.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank fliegenkiwi
Peter T, General Manager at ibis Styles Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

We look forward to welcoming you again at ibis Styles Lucerne City
P.Tanner GM

Reviewed September 22, 2013

As this hotel has no air-condition, we were given an extra domestic air ventilator to cool down the overheated room. While unplugging the (domestic) table lamp in the room, to operate the ventilator, the power supply of that lamp went apart causing my electrocution. My arm was half paralyzed the whole day, apart from the big shock of lack of electrical safety. (this could happen to my young daughter or wife!)

I reported the serious incident at reception, where nobody seemed competent to deal with this safety issue or to ask for if medical assistance was needed. Their reaction: “ok, we bring you a new lamp!”.

The matter was brought to the Manager’s attention. His recovery was to send a plate of fruit in our room with an apology letter, admitting that there is a lack of safety (and will work on it). On check out, I was offered a small monetary refund, but again I felt there was no real guest, it was just a mechanical reaction. So I refuse and paid my bill, fulfilling my contractual obligation with this average managed hotel.

This hotel must be held accountable for having unsafe electrical appliances in guests rooms. The appliances were obviously poorly maintained, and possible not suitable for hotel rooms (as the power supply is two-parted with a tiny little screw).

This hotel must be held accountable for being unable and incompetent to protect me and my family, while paying and staying there. No safety control was done, as admitted by them in our correspondence.

This hotel did not handle my injury and mental shock, neither with guest safety competence, nor with medical first aid care.

This hotel must be forced to inform the prospective customers that there is no cooling system in the hotel rooms. (This is a reason not to book a hotel in summer).

The reaction of Manager Mr. Tanner and Quality Manager Mr. Markus Baldauf in our correspondence was not up to expected level of liability. Therefor the matter is brought, as next step, to the attention of Swiss Hotels Ombudswoman.

I hope her reaction will consider the importance of providing ABSOLUTE SAFE HOTEL ENVIRONMENT, as practiced in all licensed quality hotels. If needed I will keep you informed. Nobody must put guest's safety in danger!

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Pokal
mbaldauf, Manager at ibis Styles Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Polys G. Kallis,

I am sorry that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. With reference to our previous correspondence please let me give you an answer to the points you mention in your review.

Firstly, air-conditioning is not usual in Swiss hotels (and generally speaking neither is it usual in Switzerland as a rule) as there are only a few days in the summer which are really hot.

Regarding the incident you've reported please let me inform you that all our electrical installations in the rooms are equipped with safety trip switches. After the incident we had our electrical installation checked by Elektro Suisse and we'have been assured that all safety switches (trip switches) are functioning. The safety switch, in your room, had not been tripped, which certainly would have disconnected if a short circuit per contact with life wire would have occurred. Therefore it seems unlikely that such a serious electric shock could have occurred. Please also refer to the answer of the Ombudsman's Office of the Swiss hotel industry which confirms these facts.

The security of our guests is our prime concern and we can assure you that we take all necessary actions to guarantee a safe stay to all our customers.

Best regards