“Met our needs in Lucerne”
Review of Baslertor Hotel

Baslertor Hotel
Ranked #64 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Switzerland is an expensive country to visit. And while it took some time to get over the sticker shock of our stay here, this hotel is one of the more reasonably priced with a great location in Lucerne.
Our room was comfortable but not fancy. We had great views from our windows overlooking the river area and old town. The bathroom with shower was relatively spacious.
The hotel is within easy walking distance (and a very scenic walk) from the train station, and close to the city center and city wall. There is a great little pastry shop next door. We skipped the hotel breakfast (not included with room) and enjoyed a great light breakfast there.
Overall, the hotel met our needs: clean, comfortable and centrally located place to sleep in a beautiful town.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ed-dest
There are newer reviews for Baslertor Hotel

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family and I stayed here on our European vacation this summer and of all the places we stayed this was the least desirable. Upon finding the Roesli Guest house it was not difficult to find where to check in it was down the road a bit, bit it is not very intuitive that is for sure. When we finally found were we really needed to check it we walked in and were greeted by what I think was the owner. Well for starters he was very curt and abrupt to say the least even after my Dad presented him with a gift from our State of Utah in the United States. I felt like he was doing the bare minimum to get us on our way. We were then "upgraded" to a room in that building and I would hate to see what we were "upgraded" from. I realize that rooms are much smaller in Europe as I have been to Europe many times but this was even smaller than rooms we stayed in Italy. The pool area is nice and the hot tub is nice but make sure to bring your wetsuit as the pool is not heated and it was a bit cold that day and I got into the pool and remember in the movie Total Recall with Arnold in it and that part where he is exposed to the atmosphere of mars? Well that is what it felt like, if you don't know what I am talking about check it out. You are not allowed to have food in your room and the breakfast is very expensive. The price is reasonable and the the location is ok as well but if I had my way I would avoid this hotel and spend more money and try some place else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank thepopcornpriest
Reviewed June 27, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Vitaly L
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We've stayed in a dozen Lucerne hotels since 1955, and although this is the most modest, it's far from the worst. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and though small, the room was full of light. Frankly it's about 50% of the quality of Des Balances or Wilde Mann, in the same interesting neighborhood, and 25% of the price. It's an old hotel and could do with a major makeover, but that would force a price change. The desk people were friendly to us and had good suggestions about parking and eating options. Lucerne is a great town that shouldn't be missed, but it has priced itself out of most middle-class traveler's budgets. The Baslertor is one of very few reasonable options left. Please don't rule it out without taking a look.

Room Tip: We arrived expecting to be treated as guests and we were. The women at the desk were fine, the man...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My adult son and I stayed one night (if we had planned more we would have left after one) in Roesli Guest House, the annex to Baslertor Hotel. One has to check in at the Hotel - the proprietor was beyond rude - I almost left right then. Plus is a good location. Everything expensive in Switzerland, this was no exception, next time I would have spent more to get more. (Breakfast NOT included.)
Our room was drab but clean. Very small and crowded with a bulky bed/chair that blocked access to one side of the bed - with great difficulty we "re-located" the chair - knew there was no use asking the proprietor. Trust me, you do not want to stay here.

Room Tip: Look before you pay
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank pekingbabe
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Good Location. Just a close walk from the train station, Lake Lucerne and famous Chapel bridge.
Room was clean and spacious and Bathrooms were clean!
WiFi didn’t work in our room. Sad part is they didn’t do anything about this!
But they had a business centre with 1 computer and net connection.
Breakfast not included in room price. Staff was friendly but not hospitable.
We booked this hotel with the last minute deal so for us it was worth the price for Swiss standards ;)

Overall, a bit expenise but a good place to stay in Lucerne!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed here for one night on a family vacation and I can easily say that it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. First off the the desk clerk/owner was unbelievably rude, when my father attempted to check our family in, the clerk took the paper he filled out and through it in his face declaring "Das ist die Schweiz!" (this is Switzerland) and would not check us in until our entire party arrived at the hotel (this was in addition to a slew of other unsavory behavior towards us). The room I was in was filthy and uncomfortable, the sheets had some form of sediment in them, the bathroom had dead bugs and mildew on the floor and the hotel room smelled like something had died and been shoved under the floor boards. That smell was bad, but it was even worse with the air freshener in that was in the room. The only redeeming factor of this hotel was that Luzern is a beautiful city and that the waitstaff at breakfast was nice. Don't stay at this hotel there are plenty of nicer places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank KathleenS957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucerne
Hotel Pension Rosli
#10 of 67 in Lucerne
Hotel Krone Luzern
Hotel Krone Luzern
#17 of 67 in Lucerne

Been to Baslertor Hotel? Share your experiences!