All reviewstrain stationgreat locationrooftop barstarbucks coffeeheritage buildingno air conditioningchapel bridgeold townburger kingfour star hotelrecommend this hotelstreet noiselarge windowstourist officegreat roomperfect hotelmain station
Reviewed February 10, 2017

Location right next to the Luzern railway station. From here, you can walk everywhere in the city, as it is quite compact. Building has a very nice old/classic look and is worth a picture in itself. Nothing special about the room, but it had all of the amenities I needed and was clean. It's a good price for such a tremendously expensive country. I don't know why so many reviewers seem to be upset about the Starbucks on the ground floor. I personally enjoyed having an option for a quick bite or a drink right there in the building. The employees at the reception desk were kind and helpful. Thanks to the combination of location and value, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
1  Thank mfolech
Reviewed February 2, 2017

As a traveler with a wife and 3 small kids, its close proximity to railway station is main criteria for me to choose this hotel. Several restaurants and convenience shops are just a stone throw away. It is connected to railway station through a underground passage. The hotel itself is quite old but I find its design is beautiful.

The reception is very friendly. Breakfast is average but still okay. It might not be comfortable if you stay during summer, since there is no air conditioner in the room. The room is very spacious, when compared with other hotels in the city.

Overall it is very good hotel to stay, especially for family travelers. Expensive? Maybe yes, but this is Switzerland.

Room Tip: corner room is more spacious than the others
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank PHSerad
Reviewed January 31, 2017

We had a nice stay in the hotel Monopol Lucerne. the staff at the check/in was very friendly and helped us how to go on the mount Pilatus. the room was big and clean with a great view to the lake. breakfast buffet in the morning had a good choice of cold an hot foods. service staff again very friendly. we come back in this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms in the front have a nice view to the lake.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2017 via mobile

I stayed overnight at Monopoly hotel during my recent visit to Lucerne. It was conveniently located just across from the train station.

The room was quite basic, with the necessary amenities provided.

There's a Starbucks at the entrance of the hotel; and a McDonald's around the corner.

The hotel is okay for short stay. If I were there for a longer visit, I will definitely stay in another hotel.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Monopol and to say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. Apart from the close vicinity to the main station, I would struggle to find any positives to describe the hotel.

Negatives:

- Check in (albeit fairly late), was painful. There seemed to be some issues with the fact that I had booked 2 rooms and it took some arguing with the incompetent receptionist, before we finally had our room keys and the correct number of breakfast vouchers.

- My room (506) and the rest of the hotel appeared to have been last updated in the 1980's.. The decor everywhere just felt so dated and tired.

- Two huge spotlights on the outside of the hotel shone straight through the very thin curtains in my room, making it feel like it was the middle of the day when in fact it was 10:30 at night.

- There was considerable noise from people outside enjoying the nightclub in the basement. Also the road was fairly busy so you could hear the traffic in the morning.

- The temperature in the room wasn't great, which is probably why there was a free-standing heater in there. There was no air conditioning either, so I imagine in the summer it would be hot.

- A large percentage of the building was no longer a hotel (McDonald's, Starbucks a nightclub and travel agent dominated the ground floor). Then on floors 3 and 4 were offices and there was also a hair salon... Reception had been relegated to an almost corridor like position at the back of the hotel.

- Breakfast was basic, to say the least. I didn't even use my 3rd voucher. The food was very average and the actual ambience in the restaurant was awful.

- However, my largest gripe was the fact that this hotel is rated as a 4*, when in fact it really should be a good 2* or average 3*. I travel every week (frequently to Switzerland) and therefore feel qualified to justify this.

It's a shame, as Lucerne is such a beautiful Swiss town, definitely worthy of a visit. I'll definitely be back, but will be staying elsewhere...

Stayed: January 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank glencdawson
Hotel_MONOPOL_Luzern, Manager at Hotel Monopol Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay in our hotel **** MONOPOL Lucerne and taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Every comments are very important for us.

We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincere apologies.

Our hotel MONOPOL Lucerne is a real 4-star hotel. We have the certificate from Euro star and Hotelier Suisse. Both companies have expressed to us the certificate that we are a true 4 star hotel.

Thank you very much for your kind feedback about our location. Our very nice location directly next to the train station (no taxi), in the middle of the centre of Lucerne, close to the lake, famous Chapel Bridge, old town and at the most interesting place of Lucerne. It is absolutely normally that it can’t be very quiet with this location.

On your arrival day, you checked-in after midnight. During the day is our reception occupied with our reception staff. During the night is our Night-Auditor. Our Night-Auditor have to know all basics and if you need more information about the town or excursions, so you have to ask our reception staff during the day. Possible between 6.30 am and 11 pm.

We do not have air-conditioning but we have central heater in each Hotel room. And if you feel too cold, just ask at the reception for an extra heater. We have curtains in every room. If it is too light, you can lower the blinds. Then it is quite dark. In room 506 is a completly new renovated bathroom with marmor and beautiful floor slabs. We are not a modern funky hotel. The Hotel MONOPOL is a majestic and elegant classic hotel.

We are very surprised that you will not be satisfied with our delicious breakfast buffet. We have a total of 55 different food and 25 different drinks in our offer. We have more than one breakfast room. One breakfast room has nice view to the lake and Train Station square.

We have on the ground floor Starbucks branch, Mc Donlad's, but many international guests are very happy and enjoyed and few clients don’t like it. We have as well a lot of bars, on the rooftop of the Hotel MONOPOL is the elegant lounge bar SUITE, with the most beautiful 360 degree panorama view around of the whole city of Lucerne, the lake, the mountains Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis.

Once again, we are very sorry that we could not meet your expectations and therefore offer our sincere apologies. We hope you had a safe journey home.

Warmest regards,