“Superb from the start....”
Review of Hotel Seeburg

Hotel Seeburg
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Adelaide
“Superb from the start....”
Reviewed May 4, 2008

This hotel was superb from the moment we arrived, we were immediately impressed by the fantastic location on the beautiful lake with snow covered mountains in the background. As we checked in, the staff were friendly and obliging and this service continued during our stay. It was clear that they wished to make our stay pleasurable. We were given interconnecting rooms in the older part of the hotel which were luxurious and perfect for our family of five. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. The breakfast had a delicious variety in a restaurant also with the spectacular lake view. One evening we dined in this restaurant and would recommend the food and service. Hotel Seeburg was a major part of making our visit to this beautiful city one of the highlights of our holiday.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 26, 2007

When I stayed at Seeburg Hotel back in November 07, I was traveling with my close friends (mostly 18-20 years old like me) from my college- Glion Hotel School in Montreux, Switzerland.. being teenagers we're not really picky or expecting a lot.. but this hotel definitely lives up to its name. In my opinion, I don't think that it's a 4 star hotel at all.. I would definitely rate it as a 4.5 star hotel.

Location:
To be honest, this hotel is quite far from downtown Lucerne. Taxi costs about 28 CHF. You can also take a bus from the train station, as there is a bus stop directly in front of the hotel - the bus stop name is "Hotel Seeburg". The journey takes about 15 min from the center of town...

Check In:
When we arrived, we found the hotel decorated with all the beautiful holiday lights. Check in was done in a very quick and smooth manner and the staff were extremely friendly. We booked the Christmas Package, which includes breakfast, a deluxe room in the Chalet, welcome drinks (4 glasses of Laurent Perrier Champagne).. all for only 225 CHF a night!

Room:
The rooms were fantastic. (See pics). It is of resonable size and has a small and cute balcony facing the lake. Since this is a deluxe room, I guess they were recently renovated. The bathroom is huge, as most people agreed. It has double vanity and all the bath products/other amenities.

Service:
The service here is very friendly and the hotel itself has a very cosy feel. I would always see the owner walking around and greeting the guests (including us.) It's very rare these days for you to see a hotel owner walking around and communicatingw with the guest on a daily basis. Everybody here is friendly and even though we were teenagers, they treated us very well.

Breakfast:
Amazing! See pics.. So many choices to choose from. Unlimited eggs made a la minute! The buffet was great and the restaurant itself was very nice too.

In summary.. my friends and I were very impressed with this hotel. For the price we paid for, we felt that we got back in return was definitely more than what we spent. I will definitely come back and stay here again next time I'm in Lucerne. The only drawback is the fact that it is a little bit far from the city center. However, with the bus stop right in front of the hotel, it's very easy to get to town and only costs you 2.5 Swiss Francs!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank q9rve
NE Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2007

For my last night on a recent trip to Europe, I stayed at the Hotel Seeburg and it was the perfect way to end a great holiday. I booked through a discount website and wasn't sure what to expect, but was delighted with the room I was given - overlooking the lake with a balcony and a spectacular view of Mount Pilatus.

The room was large, spotless, flooded with afternoon sunshine and had the bonus of a bath for a last relaxing soak before the 47-hour trip home to Australia. The building dates from the 1960s and you could tell, but it had been renovated so as to feel comfortable and modern without sacrificing some of its quirky charms (the bathroom had a slightly retro feel, but I loved that).

I ate at the restaurant downstairs (not the Alexander, the other one) and it was fine - the wine (local) and the dessert (blood orange sorbet) were both particularly good and the prices not completely outrageous. I missed breakfast in the morning as I had to catch a 5.30am train, but the hotel obligingly packed some sandwiches, fruit and water for me to take on my journey. Actually, the staff were extremely helpful throughout.

The only drawback that I could see was that some people might be put off by the fact that it is not in the centre of the city and you have to drive or catch a bus there. This didn't faze me at all (but I did stay in the city centre for two nights before moving to the Seeburg for the final night splurge, so I didn't feel the need to be right in the heart of things).

The Seeburg was one of the accommodation highlights of my trip and I would definitely recommend it - and stay there again.

• Liked — The view! And the slightly retro feel - the room combined comfort and character perfectly.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank halwimsey
Ireland
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We stayed in Hotel Seeburg for 4 nights, as part of a rail holiday. There were 3 of us, my wife, our daughter and I. This was my retirement holiday.

The location of the hotel is very good, all of our group had rooms which faced onto the lake, Mount Pilatus is directly opposite.

The dining room staff were very friendly, helpful and co-operative. We do not speak German but there was no problem. I am allergic to feathers, on requesting polyester pillows we thought there might be a problem. That was resolved.

The food was very good, we thought Swiss wine, which is not exported, was a bit on the pricey side, nevertheless it was good.

Our rooms were comfortable, internet access was free.

We would return to both Lucerne and the Seeburg.

• Liked — Convenience to public transport
  • Stayed August 2007
2 Thank johnnymick
madrid
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Definitely not worth it. I was extremely disappointed when i saw our room. It is true that the hotel entrance and restaurant are very cool, but some of the rooms are tiny, old and dirty. Nothing to do with the pictures that i saw on their web !!
There is part of the hotel that is very old and hasn't been refurbished.
I wouldn't advise you to stay there, but if you do, make sure that your room is not one of the tiny old ones with a stained carpet like ours and a small and very old bathroom.
Very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed in the hotel Seeburg this week and had a wonderful time. From the first greeting at reception to the last breakfast everytrhing was excellent. The staff were marvellous and dealt with all our enquiries and helped us plan or trips, attended to all our needs and were so pleasant as they walked around the hotel. The restaurant has a marvellous view over the lake and the food is exquisite. I will recommend it to my friends!

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, location ,food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrelandAbbey
zurich
Reviewed May 28, 2007

This hotel was clearly the best hotel that we have stayed in within europe. The rooms are larger than normal european standards. And they have a great view of the lake. The rooms are clean and non-musty (a problem we've faced at other hotels) and the beds are very comfortable - not too hard or too soft :-)

The breakfast spread again is good. There is also a tram stop right outside - so it is well connected to the main city as well!!

• Liked — The View, cleanliness and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing in Particular
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple