“Fantastic Location and stunning view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern

Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern
Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Lucerne
Brampton, Canada
“Fantastic Location and stunning view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our room was very comfortable, fantastic and it had excellent view as the room was facing the lake. We received an unexpected shuttle service at Lucerne Rail Station. All the services were awesome and staff was also very nice and supportive. Rooms and all the amenities were excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Saiju M
DirektorMontana, Marketing & Sales at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear guest,

The HOTEL MONTANA team is delighted to read all your compliments. We always give our best and improve constantly our service to see satisfied guests.

We would be glad to see you again in our HOTEL MONTANA.

Best regards
From the MONTANA team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We splurged on a penthouse spa suite for our stay at the Art Deco Montana and it was certainly worth it. The apartment was absolutely beautiful with gorgeous furnishings. The spa on the balcony was very private and featured incredible views. The views from the room itself were incredible with stunning views out over the mountains including Mt Pilatus and back over the lovely city of Lucerne. The jazz bar at the hotel was wonderful with fantastic musicians playing each night. The jazz jam session on the Thursday night was a real highlight. The restaurant was also fantastic and provides one of the best views I've had from a restaurant ever. It was particularly beautiful when the roof was rolled back to create an open air space. Only small criticism was a couple of slip ups with service such as staff forgetting to get back to us about massages and a couple of other little things. But the staff were otherwise friendly and very helpful. The masseuse was excellent. We would love to stay here again one day.

Room Tip: Room 602 was incredible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DirektorMontana, Marketing & Sales Manager at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Kim and Tom

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy to hear that you liked the Penthouse Spa Suite and the public areas such as the Scala Restaurant/Terrace and Louis Bar. We appologize for the slip ups with services. This should not happen at any time. I will find a way to improve the internal communication between the different departments to make sure that your next stay at the Hotel Montana will perfect.

Best wishes from Lucerne

Patrick Erni
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Despite some ongoing noise the first night we stayed (possibly from the hotel's restaurant or a building across the street), our room at the Hotel Montana Luzern was comfortable, cool (with the help of a fan) and refreshing after crowded days sightseeing in Lucerne. Our room did not face the lake: however, this turned out to be an advantage since, not getting the sun all day, it was cooler at night (and the threat of night-time mosquitoes, about which we were warned, never materialized -- well, maybe one or two, but we promptly dispatched them). We had a huge terrace/patio outside the sliding doors, where we would sit at sunset -- all around us were luxurious houses, gardens, and, of course, the mountains. Breakfasts were extraordinary -- we ate enough at breakfast to hold us all day; the breakfast rooms (both indoors and patio) were huge and all had fantastic views of the lake and of Mount Pilatus, one of the top attractions in the Lucerne area. American travelers accustomed to drinking milder, 'Columbian' coffees should be aware that coffee in Switzerland, as in much of Europe, is dark-roast and brewed in a different way than it is in the US - however, we quickly grew accustomed to it, and the rest of the hotel, which, by our last day, began to feel like home. Finally, since we were there in the middle of August, which, like New England, gets warm, slightly humid 'summer weather', be sure to ask the helpful desk about the free day passes to the 'Seebad', or Lakeside swimming facility, a 2 minute walk from the hotel. I went there twice and it was so enjoyable! Great seeing Lucernites enjoying the lake, drinking wine, relaxing and having fun. A real Rick Steves' experience. There is an amazing, 1930s, art-deco style bar in the hotel dedicated to American jazz musicians who played there, especially Louis Armstrong, that should not be missed. We didn't eat at what was probably the exorbitantly-priced LaScala restaurant, although we peeked in and it looked gorgeous. Anyone traveling to Switzerland needs to prepare herself/himself for ridiculously-high restaurant prices. We figured out that was the reason the supermarkets with takeout counters (forget the name) were always busy. (Smart tourists probably purchased a chicken or other prepared dish and had picnics because the restaurant prices are insultingly high, but I guess that's Switzerland.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marilyn a
Thank you Marilyn for your detailed review about the Montana and the tips about Lucerne`s attractions. Indeed local people go to the "Seebadi" during summer time to take a swim or for having a drink in the evening. We are very glad that you felt home in the Hotel Montana and we are looking forward to welcome you again. Restaurant prices are in Switzerland in general higher because of labour costs, We recommend our guests from abroad to to book a halfboard stay which includes a fantastic dinner menu in our Scala Restaurant.

Best regards from sunny Lucerne

Patrick Erni
Dorchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is perched above the others that line the lake shore, giving it unrivaled views. It does not have the expected disadvantage of having to climb the hill, though, because it has its own funicular railway. Go into the lobby at lake level, press the button to call the carriage and up you go right into the hotel lobby.
The interior decoration is stunning and the food and service superb. This hotel definitely justifies its high ranking.

Room Tip: If you can afford it a lake view is fantastic, but the rooms on the other side are good too.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter H
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Peter H

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable thoughts and for your recent stay at the Art Deco Hotel Montana.

We are delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a great pleasure to have you staying with us and it would be great to welcome you again soon.

Best regards

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have stayed in hotels with great views but none that compare to the view from the Montana. I walked in the room and could see the lake through the doors opening to the balcony I immediately walked outside and was in awe. It was a clear day so I could see the mountains, the town, the lake, etc. Perfection. Definitely get a lake side room. The difference in cost is nominal. It is more than worth it.

Check-in - Maria checked me into the hotel. She was professional and polite but more importantly friendly and helpful. She offered me a bottle of water while I waited for my room to be ready which only took 10 minutes. I thought this was great since I checked in at noon and thought it would be three hours before I could get into my room. She also gave me a map and showed me some of the sights. She recommended Mt. Rigi and I am glad she did. It was great. The hotel is fortunate to have Maria welcoming guests. She offers a great first impression.

Other staff I encountered in the hallways, etc. always had a smile on their faces.

I had a single room. It was small but well laid out so it didn't feel cramped at all. It had a full size bathroom including a large bathtub. The bed was comfortable. There was an IPad docking station and a Bose sound system. I was there on vacation; however, there is a large desk that would be great if you were there on business. I've already talked about the view which you can see while laying in bed. Housekeeping did a great job considering the floors are hardwood or laminate and the dust from having the doors constantly open must make it tough to keep clean. Good job by them.

I really liked the funicular that takes you from street level to the hotel. Very unique and convenient. It is a very pretty and easy walk to the city center. It only took 15 minutes to walk to the train station.

I liked that they had apples located all over the hotel. One morning I grabbed one for breakfast on my way out the door. Speaking of food, I didn't eat in the restaurants because I was out early / late on day trips.

Air Conditioning - I hate to bring this up because it sounds like there is nothing the hotel can do about it (due to building or historical reasons); however, the room can get a little warm. There is a fan in the room. I was fortunate that the evenings cooled down so I could open the balcony doors and it wasn't too bad. It quickly cooled down the room. Hot or not, I would even stay here in the heat of summer, all because of the view.

Hotel Key: I read complaints about the room key. Simply review the room key from the unique block of wood and leave the wood in the room. Simple fix:)

Suggestion: It would be nice if an employee showed guests to their room. Not to carry their bags but to show them how everything works in the room. I've been to Europe quite a few times but always like it when the staff can show me how everything works in the room and where outlets, etc. are located.

In closing, I would definitely stay in this hotel again and of course request a room with a lake view.

Tip: There is a grocery store at the train station. Handy for wine, beer, snacks, water, etc. before you catch train to see the sites. I recommend a trip to Mt. Rigi and a trip to Lugano. Absolutely beautiful to take a boat ride on Lake Lugano. Also enjoyed Bern, Geneva, Interlaken, Zurich and Rapperswil. Switzerland is beautiful, clean and the people are kind and efficient.

Room Tip: Lake Side Room is a must
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Europabound
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Europabound

It seems like you have enjoyed your stay in Lucerne and we would like to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that we could contribute with our service and amenities to your fabulous stay.

We would be pleased to welcome you again soon and hope you had a safe journey home.

Warm regards

georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I made last minute, somewhat frantic, reservations made for my daughter and 4 others, in very busy Luzern, directly through the hotel - The group was able to find other accommodations and despite having paid in full for two rooms, the hotel manager was understanding and kind enough to refund all. Hope to have the opportunity to stay at what others have reviewed as a fabulous hotel!!

Room Tip: I didn't stay here but wanted to review because they were so wonderful to a frantic mom with a 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear dianebusch

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you at the Montana soon.

Kindest regards

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Our room was spacious, immaculate, importantly the room was lovely and quiet. We had a hillside room but this did not offer any views to the mountains.The room did have a small balcony and the furnishings in the room were of a high standard.
On arrival our room was not ready which was not a problem so we sat on the balcony and had a drink and a snack, the views from the terrace restaurant over the lake/ mountains were just beautiful. When our snacks arrived the chicken looked good and it was after one mouthful that my husband discovered that the chicken was not cooked fully, we explained to the waiter and a replacement arrived, thankfully there were no ill effects from this. We did explain to the wait staff that were were concerned about the potential of illness from inadequately cooked chicken. Following written feedback survey on the hotel we did have an opportunity to discuss our concerns the next day with the manager who understood our concerns and was following up . We were impressed with the concierge who provided very good customer service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tasannie
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear tasannie

We really appreciate your comment on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We apologize once again for the incident in our Scala Restaurant and we are assuaged that we could solve the problem directly with you.

It would be lovely to welcome you again at the Montana again soon.

Kind regards