Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern
$205
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $247/night.

$686
$329
$300
$197
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $222/night.

$228
$623
Agoda.com
  • Pool
2,026 results
All reviewslouis barscala restaurantlake leveljazz barspa suiteprivate funicularlive jazzfunicular railwaycable carlake lucernebeautiful hotelthe penthouseoverlooking the lakehotel lobbyhalf boardour honeymoonold town
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have stayed in hotels with great views but none that compare to the view from the Montana. I walked in the room and could see the lake through the doors opening to the balcony I immediately walked outside and was in awe. It was a clear day so I could see the mountains, the town, the lake, etc. Perfection. Definitely get a lake side room. The difference in cost is nominal. It is more than worth it.

Check-in - Maria checked me into the hotel. She was professional and polite but more importantly friendly and helpful. She offered me a bottle of water while I waited for my room to be ready which only took 10 minutes. I thought this was great since I checked in at noon and thought it would be three hours before I could get into my room. She also gave me a map and showed me some of the sights. She recommended Mt. Rigi and I am glad she did. It was great. The hotel is fortunate to have Maria welcoming guests. She offers a great first impression.

Other staff I encountered in the hallways, etc. always had a smile on their faces.

I had a single room. It was small but well laid out so it didn't feel cramped at all. It had a full size bathroom including a large bathtub. The bed was comfortable. There was an IPad docking station and a Bose sound system. I was there on vacation; however, there is a large desk that would be great if you were there on business. I've already talked about the view which you can see while laying in bed. Housekeeping did a great job considering the floors are hardwood or laminate and the dust from having the doors constantly open must make it tough to keep clean. Good job by them.

I really liked the funicular that takes you from street level to the hotel. Very unique and convenient. It is a very pretty and easy walk to the city center. It only took 15 minutes to walk to the train station.

I liked that they had apples located all over the hotel. One morning I grabbed one for breakfast on my way out the door. Speaking of food, I didn't eat in the restaurants because I was out early / late on day trips.

Air Conditioning - I hate to bring this up because it sounds like there is nothing the hotel can do about it (due to building or historical reasons); however, the room can get a little warm. There is a fan in the room. I was fortunate that the evenings cooled down so I could open the balcony doors and it wasn't too bad. It quickly cooled down the room. Hot or not, I would even stay here in the heat of summer, all because of the view.

Hotel Key: I read complaints about the room key. Simply review the room key from the unique block of wood and leave the wood in the room. Simple fix:)

Suggestion: It would be nice if an employee showed guests to their room. Not to carry their bags but to show them how everything works in the room. I've been to Europe quite a few times but always like it when the staff can show me how everything works in the room and where outlets, etc. are located.

In closing, I would definitely stay in this hotel again and of course request a room with a lake view.

Tip: There is a grocery store at the train station. Handy for wine, beer, snacks, water, etc. before you catch train to see the sites. I recommend a trip to Mt. Rigi and a trip to Lugano. Absolutely beautiful to take a boat ride on Lake Lugano. Also enjoyed Bern, Geneva, Interlaken, Zurich and Rapperswil. Switzerland is beautiful, clean and the people are kind and efficient.

Room Tip: Lake Side Room is a must
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Europabound
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Europabound

It seems like you have enjoyed your stay in Lucerne and we would like to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that we could contribute with our service and amenities to your fabulous stay.

We would be pleased to welcome you again soon and hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I made last minute, somewhat frantic, reservations made for my daughter and 4 others, in very busy Luzern, directly through the hotel - The group was able to find other accommodations and despite having paid in full for two rooms, the hotel manager was understanding and kind enough to refund all. Hope to have the opportunity to stay at what others have reviewed as a fabulous hotel!!

Room Tip: I didn't stay here but wanted to review because they were so wonderful to a frantic mom with a 15 year old traveling overseas!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear dianebusch

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you at the Montana soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our room was spacious, immaculate, importantly the room was lovely and quiet. We had a hillside room but this did not offer any views to the mountains.The room did have a small balcony and the furnishings in the room were of a high standard.
On arrival our room was not ready which was not a problem so we sat on the balcony and had a drink and a snack, the views from the terrace restaurant over the lake/ mountains were just beautiful. When our snacks arrived the chicken looked good and it was after one mouthful that my husband discovered that the chicken was not cooked fully, we explained to the waiter and a replacement arrived, thankfully there were no ill effects from this. We did explain to the wait staff that were were concerned about the potential of illness from inadequately cooked chicken. Following written feedback survey on the hotel we did have an opportunity to discuss our concerns the next day with the manager who understood our concerns and was following up . We were impressed with the concierge who provided very good customer service.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tasannie
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear tasannie

We really appreciate your comment on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We apologize once again for the incident in our Scala Restaurant and we are assuaged that we could solve the problem directly with you.

It would be lovely to welcome you again at the Montana again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A one-of-a-kind hotel with beautiful views and a great breakfast buffet overlooking the lake. Not cheap, but worth the money-- especially if you get a lake view room. Be careful, though, in hot weather. Our room was not air conditioned and on the lake side you get the afternoon sun.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear John A

Thank you for review on TripAdvisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

The view is spectacular, especially from our Scala Terrace.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is probably an very unusual occurence when a hotel receives five stars from someone who has never stayed there. I had booked for a one night stay in early August, 2013, through Booking.com.
Unfortunately, I was not able to do any travel this summer due to the illness and eventual death of my father. In the midst of the confusion of dealing with all of this, I did not cancel the reservation in a timely manner.
Emails were sent to three hotels. One did not bother to respond, one said basically, they were sorry but policy was policy. I still had to pay for a one night stay at these places.
But Art Deco Hotel Montana not only responded with kind words, they did not charge me the rate for a room as the others did.
I will be recommending Art Deco Hotel Montana to all I know who are planning to visit Lucerne and my hope is that in the future, I can stay here, at a hotel that really cares about its visitors.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear RiverBirch1106

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority. We feel very honored that you will recommend our hotel and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you in person in our hotel soon.