WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern

Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Woodstock, Maryland
“A Review of a Non-visit?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is probably an very unusual occurence when a hotel receives five stars from someone who has never stayed there. I had booked for a one night stay in early August, 2013, through Booking.com.
Unfortunately, I was not able to do any travel this summer due to the illness and eventual death of my father. In the midst of the confusion of dealing with all of this, I did not cancel the reservation in a timely manner.
Emails were sent to three hotels. One did not bother to respond, one said basically, they were sorry but policy was policy. I still had to pay for a one night stay at these places.
But Art Deco Hotel Montana not only responded with kind words, they did not charge me the rate for a room as the others did.
I will be recommending Art Deco Hotel Montana to all I know who are planning to visit Lucerne and my hope is that in the future, I can stay here, at a hotel that really cares about its visitors.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear RiverBirch1106

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority. We feel very honored that you will recommend our hotel and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you in person in our hotel soon.

Warm regards

Your Montana team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel in a "double room with hill side " at a price of 310 Swiss francs per night (breakfast not included ). It is a beautiful building in art decor style, as the name of the hotel implies. Very spacious and beautifully decorated room in the same architectural style.
Very good services in the front desk.

In the restaurant the food is very good and the view of Lake Lucerne is a memory forever. The dinner service on the first night was superb as the waiter was certainly one of the best - if not the best - that I met in Europe (see the photo bellow, a tribute to the outstanding professional).

Breakfast service was low: insufficient and very young staff.

Despite the unquestionable beauty, the architectural design of the room had a feature that seems to me as a mistake: bedroom and bathroom are integrated (no doors or walls at all) and the windows above the shower did not have curtains. Consequently, in the morning, the light coming from the bathroom lights the room. But the project is not the same in all rooms, so as you book you can just ask for a different kind of room.

The hotel does not have air conditioning in the rooms and public areas and I felt hot, at times. Therefore, I imagine that during a severe heat wave (something relatively common in the European summer in this era of global warming), the guest can feel very uncomfortable. It is something that depends on the susceptibility of each person.

There was a flaw in the service after my departure : I received an email from the hotel in which was reported a minibar consumption of some snacks and alcoholic beverages that I did not consumed at all.

The e- mail was extremely polite, but I was slightly annoyed at first, because when checking out I had informed clearly that consumed only mineral water. I think that if the system is based on honor is unreasonable to assume that a guest would commit such a error (stating that had consumed only water while consuming many other different items).

After I answered the email I received a new message in which it was said that they would not charge the expense. Despite of the incident I would stay in the hotel again.

If you decide to stay in the hotel: (1) have a drink in the late afternoon at the pleasant terrace bar; (2) Use the free bikes for a memorable stroll around the idyllic Lake Lucerne and (3) Do as the locals (and many tourists): sunbathe and swim in the lake using the "SEEBAD" (see photo below), a kind solarium on the lake shore (the hotel provides free vouchers) .

Room Tip: If you are a light-sleeper ask for a room different from the one I stayed in.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear BrazilianJudge

It is a real pleasure to read your great and extensive comment on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is a big motivation for the whole team and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Montana.

Your constructive criticism is also very appreciated as we are able to improve our service even more.

It would be great to welcome you again in the near future.

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

First let me commend Friederike (Management) and Boris (Concierge) - two people who know ultimate service. No request was too small or too difficult. They were there to help EVERY step of the way. Friederike was kind enough to email me before arrival, helped me onsite, she made the stay special. Boris was so helpful in our departure transition. Just outstanding employees of Art Deco Hotel Montana and hope they are recognized.

Pros of this hotel:
* great location, easy to walk to the lake
* food and wine great....the restaurant was divine...outstanding view, great food
* nice decor and warm feeling

Cons:
* no a/c and we had a basic room on the street....was really noisy so didn't get much sleep
* wish they served food up top at the bar lounge area, ordering was a bit cumbersome up top
* ask for extra pillows

It is a beautiful hotel. Price was right at 280 francs, however, I would probably look at other hotels in area if it weren't for the outstanding hotel staff.

Room Tip: Room away from the street (too noisy)
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ArizonaTraveler_11
Dear ArizonaTraveler_11

It is a pleasure to read your comment on TripAdvisor and we feel very honored that you point out the Montana team so much. Thank you.

The missing A/C in our rooms has already been discussed in the management and we will find a solution as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

Please note that we do serve a small variety of food on our Lake View Lounge. Nevertheless we will consider your point in our next F&B meeting.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon and we hope you had a safe journey home.

Best regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We really enjoyed staying in this hotel. Upon arrival we were upgraded. View from the balcony was nice. Location is good if planning to go to the hotel by bus look for bus number 6,8 or 24 and get down at casino. 2 mins walking distance from the hotel. Good Breakfast as well. Room key is unique and difficult to carry around.

1 Thank Willis W
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Willis W

We are delighted to read your feedback about your stay in our hotel on TripAdvisor and that you enjoyed your stay so much.

The location of the Montana is very convenient and with the shortest funicular of the world you reach the hotel within two minutes from the lakeshore.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Warm regards

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would to commend the extraordinary concierge, Boris, who took enormous trouble to try to help me with a problem which was certainly outside any reasonable obligation/expectation that i might have had.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear admirer1937

Than you very much for your great comment on TripAdvisor which we have directly forwarded to our concierge, Boris. He will be very pleased to read that and it is a great motivation as well.

We would be delighted to welcome you again soon.

Silverstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights our room was very clean, stylish & had a small balcony with a lovely view of the lake. The funicular to the hotel was great as we had anticipated a steep walk to the hotel do was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Amanda S
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Amanda S

It is a real pleasure to read your comment on TripAdvisor and we are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Our funicular is already an attraction. Within 2 minutes you reach from the lakeshore our hotel and you are able to enjoy a pictures view from the Montana.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I went to the Luzern Music Festival this weekend and was excited for lovely Swiss experience in this gorgeous city. The Art Deco Hotel Montana is beautiful with stunning views of the lake and city. The staff is very courteous and pleasant. I really wanted to love this place, but then we went to dinner. I can be happy eating at a pub or an elegant restaurant, but I expect to get my moneys worth. First, the bread was truly amazing, and probably the best part of the meal. I ordered the gazpacho, which was fine, but when it was brought to me I thought it was one of those little chefs-taster-treats you often get at higher end restaurants. The soup was served in a shot glass - thus my assumption that it was just an opening taster. No, I was wrong, this was my soup. If it was 3CHF I wouldn't complain, but it was 12CHF-not expensive for soup, but a tequila shot would have been more satisfying. I almost thought it was a joke; I was annoyed. The main meal was fine and the dessert was ok. The meal was outrageously priced and I know Switzerland is expensive, but I would have rather driven into Zurich and eaten at the Park Hyatt or Dolder for the price and better quality.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dannyhernanny
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear dannyhernanny

Thank you for your honest evaluation on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel itself and we appreciate your satisfaction about our staff. On the other hand we deeply regret that you could not enjoy our Scala Restaurant. Your feedback has been forwarded to our Chef and to our F&B Manager and it will be discussed internally.

Nevertheless it would be a great pleasure to welcome you at the Montana again so that we are able to prove you otherwise.

Kind regards