“Excellent”
Review of Hotel des Balances

Hotel des Balances
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Although quite expensive this is one of the best hotels ever.we booked a junior suite which was amazing , it had a bath tub with jaccuzi and a balcony with beautiful views of the lake and city,we also had dinner in the restaurant which was great but very expensive, 50 euros per person without wine but is worth going there once. The only problem i find is that water is very expensive to buy, 6 euro per 250 ml but it is everywere in switzerland.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nataly k
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Balances

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel in August. It was our first time in Switzerland and could not believe the location of this hotel. It is right on the water and has a breathtaking view of the Chapel Bridge. It is central to lots of restaurants and places to see. We had a great view of the St. Francis Xavier Church from our balcony and could watch the horse and carriage go by. The hotel itself was wonderful. The staff was a great help with everything and although the room was not fancy, it more than met our needs. The outside restaurant was great to just sit with a glass of wine and enjoy the beauty. Stay here if you can. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the hotel has no air conditioning. The temperatures in August were great so we h...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Napleslady1
Reviewed October 14, 2013

It hindsight, I should have booked a room overlooking the water. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the hotel to check in and upgrade, the hotel was fully booked. The deluxe suite was small but furnished with everything I needed. I really appreciated the in room coffee and tea maker. I thought that was a standard amenity but the Balances was the only hotel to offer that for the duration of my trip in Switzerland and Belgium. It also can get noisy if you have loud neighbors like I did; the walls appear to have little or no insulation. But the fact that the hotel sits right on the River Reuss trumps these minor complaints. I found the staff to be very helpful, even printing out train schedules for me, and friendly. Not know how close the train station is to the hotel, I took a cab when I got to Lucerne from Zurich. When it was time to check out and head to my next destination, I walked my backpack and rolling luggage to the train station. I will be going back to Lucerne. Next time I'll book a room with a balcony at the Balances.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank thatswickedrp
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a wonderful weekend we had in Lucerne and I highly recommend Hotel des Balances. The location is perfect -- right by the Chapel Bridge, lots of restaurants, shops, the pier, and the bahn. The staff was very helpful, the rooms very well appointed and the restaurant was superb as well. We will definitely stay there again. When arriving in Lucerne, our GPS was not helpful in getting us across the water to the hotel, and wanted us to turn the wrong way on a one way street and drive across a pedestrian bridge. We circled around several times looking for an alternative before we called the hotel reception, and they gave us directions. The hotel is located in a pedestrian area, but it is permitted for hotel guests to drive their cars to the hotel and unload -- then the hotel will park the car for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel des Balances was an amazing stay during our trip through europe, we were staying in average hotels before this so it was such an experience staying here. The staff are very pleasant, always helpful and attentive, the rooms were perfectly fitted out with luxurious bedding and amenities. The location was great as well, only a short walk to all the sights. The only downside i can imagine is that there is no air conditioning - we were staying in peak summer of 30-33 degree days so some of the nights were uncomfortable but it is understandable because the building is hundreds of years old. Definitely recommend

Room Tip: Definitely book a river side room, the view is amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Room was well appointed. Staff were very helpful and courteous at all times. Car service to and from airport was very efficient. Room service is very expensive. My room overlooked an inner courtyard and had a lot of noise from contractors working and the bins being emptied early mornings. I wore ear plugs most of the time to sleep. Also a party in one of the ballrooms kept me awake until late on last night as even ear plugs could not block out the noise. I did get the price of one night knocked off when I mentioned this on checkout. As I was staying on business and was severely jet lagged after flying in from New York, disturbed sleep was not helpful. I will hesitate to stay in this hotel on my next trip.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank iain K
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We agree with the other reviews. This is in the most fantastic spot. The views are exceptional and you can almost pretend you are in a time machine. There is some noise...the church bells, the swans and other birds, the occasional concert on the square, but the windows are soundproof and we were there when it was cold out. This is a very expensive hotel but is not as luxurious as you might expect for the price. You are probably paying for the location right in the heart of the old town. The breakfast is not included and is about 20 dollars per person! The bathroom is small with no counter space, there are no reading lights next to the bed, i had to ask for a bathrobe as there were none in the room, they do not replenish the toiletries and we ran out of stuff and had to ask. the shower is annoying to use. They do come by every night and ask if you need things, tho. It is very clean and the beds are good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple