“Quaint hotel with unfriendly, unhelpful front desk staff!”
Review of Hotel Wilden Mann

Hotel Wilden Mann
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed April 29, 2011

This is a quaint hotel located very close to the Old Town and to the Chapel Bridge. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and are decorated in a style appropriate to the period of the hotel. The room was very hot (it was cold outside) and there were no controls so I found it quite uncomfortable. The beds were very soft and the pillow very, very soft! If you like a soft bed it would be great for you. Breakfast is adequate but not up to the standard of other hotels we had stayed at in Switzerland. It is quite close to the railway station for connections to other destinations.

I travelled with my elderly mother who is not very mobile. When we arrived we had taken a taxi from the train station (which offered a fabulous reduced mobility service to its passengers at no cost) to the hotel. The taxi driver was very polite and helpful, taking our bags into the hotel reception for us. The reception area is not very big and we were the only people in there, but there was not even a glance up from the front desk to acknowledge our presence let alone a friendly hello. I didn’t think they were even going to greet us but finally, only when I got to the front desk and spoke to them did we get a greeting from the staff. I found this to be quite rude and not the friendly welcome we had encountered at other hotels throughout Switzerland.

We chose the hotel because of its central location so that my mother would be able to see something of beautiful Lucerne. After checking in I went out for a walk around to get my bearings and discovered that she might be able to see a couple of the sights but would be quite limited. I went back into the hotel to enquire if they had a wheelchair that we could borrow for one day. The reaction I got from the reception staff was one of amazement and bewilderment. I assumed they did not understand my English so I described what I was looking for. They had understood my request but one would think I had requested something unobtainable on this earth. This was the 4th hotel of our trip and I have to say that the negative reaction and begrudging attitude of the front desk staff was a complete surprise to me. Other hotels had gone out of their way to locate a wheelchair for us (I have discovered that wheelchairs are not part of the service they offer in Europe unlike other parts of the globe) but this reaction was bordering on being quite rude. I made some suggestions as to the type of place that might rent out a wheelchair for a day but was met with a firm ‘No, we don’t do this in Switzerland’. Having already done it 4 times I knew better so persisted. Eventually one was located and the problem was solved but not without a lot of ‘attitude’ from the front desk staff. I thought the front desk was there to assist its customers and was the ‘first impression’ they got of the hotel. They failed on all counts in this respect.

Although a nice hotel, I would not stay here again. It was expensive, unfriendly, and unhelpful. I could have easily found somewhere cheaper where we were made to feel welcome and where our stay was important to them.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank KiwiThaiger

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Great Hotel. Great location near the old bridge.
Lovely room.
Amazing personal service.
My wife eat only Gluten Free. They had the best GF bread for breakfast and dinner.
Also the restaurant is A quality.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rami1963
Reviewed December 21, 2010

It was perfect from the check-in to the check-out, and really made my stay in Luzern perfect. Stay here for true Swiss hospitality, charm, 100% safety, comfort, perfect location, and do not look anywhere else - you will not get a better deal, nor a more beautiful charming hotel, not even for more money. You will love the Wilden-Mann.

It is an 8 minute walk (with trolley-bag) along the River, from the Main Train Station. The walk itself is a treat as you see the old houses on both sides of the River, the postcard-perfect bridge, breathe in the fresh mountain air. It is a 100% safe route day and night (and I am a small lady). The train station is in the centre of town, and it is clean, has great take-away bakeries and shops in the underground passageways. In both cities Luzern and Zurich, the train stations were huge places, but at not time did they ever feel unsafe or undesirable like many train stations in European cities. The Swiss train stations are very impressive - and models for the rest of the US and Europe.

The hotel is pure charm, check-in was efficient and friendly, and they insisted on helping me with my small bag. My double room but just for myself (I asked for quiet room, and it was quiet without feeling isolated or ghostly ). It looked out the back to the next building which had charming window-box flowers, I loved it. It was freezing outside but inside the hotel it was cosy, and my room had adjustable temp control which in true Swiss form, worked perfectly (to my surprise). The bed and bedding (brililant duvet) was wonderful, the room was roomy, and bathroom impeccable. There was a desk fromting one of the windows, and a small table with cane chair where you can sit to have a cup of tea (complimentary self-serve on the landing outside the room - loads of teas to choose from) to thaw out if you've been out. TV is thoughtfully placed, not in a corner of the ceiiling to give you a headache, but at eye level at a good distance from the bed in an unobtrusive corner of the room.

Bathroom comes with bathrobe, slippers, and a good selection of Swiss shower gels, shampoo, etc. Not the cheap and nasty but good quality, nail file and buffer, bath salts.

My friend had a single room and it too was perfect, just a bit smaller with a single bed instead of a double. Really good value for the price, recommended without hesitation.

Breakfast is in spacious beautiful and also charming room, wide range of cold cuts, cheeses, breads, hot eggs and boiled organic eggs, toast, fruit - cooked and not, yoghurts, you name it they've got it. It was such a treat to see the welcoming breakfact each morning, served by the most gracious Swiss ladies.

The free internet desk is in a quiet alcove, comfortable chair, travel guides, free English newspapers (FT and IHT) and the computer works like super-broadband - perfect.

Location is perfect, close to everywhere, all walkable no more than 10 mins. Other guests staying were polite, looked well-to-do, middle-aged or older, Swiss, a group of Americans from a Forbes-500 having a retreat (morning session in one of the rooms). i.e. respectful fellow-travellers all grateful that they had chosen the Wilden-Mann.

As I said, this is the perfect hotel for travellers travelling without children. I stayed for 4 nights and wished I could stay for more. My friend felt the same. Book early, ask for a quiet room, and you will have an absolutely perfect stay in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LuxurynCulture
Reviewed December 13, 2010

The hotel is situated in the old part of the city opposite an amazing apothecary's shop, and it is very convenient for everything (but then Lucerne is a small city). The public rooms are lovely. We were there before Christmas and the whole hotel was exquisitely decorated for Christmas.

There are antiques on the landings and in the corridors (the hotel is quite rambling, being converted from several old properties). We found the staff very helpful and of course being Switzerland everything was immaculately clean.

Nice buffet breakfast in elegant dining room and a truly fab restaurant called the Burgerstube which is decorated in baronial Victorian style but serves modern and very, very good food.

The hotel is very near the river and on Saturdays there is a very good and interseting farmers market all along the riverbank.

I am quite picky but I can't really find anything to fault in this hotel. I suppose our room was not quite as glamorous as the top rated rooms in the hotel - but they cost more. We were very comfortable and felt at home. Would return in a shot.

Lucerne is a high class very cultured city in a beautiful setting, well worth a visit. We loved the transport museum which is on the lake, a short bus or boat ride out of town.
There is also a wonderful collection of Picassos and a world class concert hall.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I was very dissappointed with Wilden Mann Hotel. It was one of the more expensive hotels we stayed in and was certainly the worst. The fabric on the chairs and bedding were stained and the furniture was very worn looking. This was a 30th wedding anniversary trip and we were told they upgraded us... and really wonder what room we would have had if that was an upgrade. Our room was across the street from a thriving brothel so our view included scantilly dressed women making deals with john's. On Saturday morning there was a street market setting up by 5 a.m... The upside was the location and nice breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Time2Travel52
Reviewed September 22, 2010

In the heart of old Luzern, the hotel has a great location (close to the sites, the water and the train station), old world charm, comfortably-apportioned rooms (ours was large by European standards), terrific restaurants, and it was quiet, despite it's central location and proximity to the bell-tower. But the true gems of this hotel are the incredibly pleasant and helpful staff. For Luzern, it was a terrific value, as well. Great place for my next honeymoon :)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I highly recommend the Romantik

Location
The location is excellent. It is in a quiet street, walking distance to the train station (five minutes) and to the old covered bridge.

Room
We’ve got a junior suite that had a large room with a queen bed (two twins put together) and another separate smaller room with a cot (perfect for kids). The room and the bathroom were large and clean. You get bathrobes and terry sleepers. Confortable bedding. Nice flat screen TV in the room. Safe deposit box. Wifi only through the telecom company and it is ridiculously expensive. You can use their computer by the restaurant and access internet for free. The room has no AC but we had no problem sleeping at night as it was nice and cool.

Service was excellent. Every time we went through the lobby we were greeted and asked if we needed anything.

Breakfast
Excellent and plentiful buffet breakfast in an spacious room. Delicious cold cuts, breads and pastries. Excellent service.

Common areas and décor
The hotel common areas are full of old world charm. Nicely upholstered chairs, antique looking portraits on the walls and all nicely kept.

Activities
We enjoyed the Luzern music festival on the streets. The concert at the theatre was nice but I didn’t care particularly for the theatre itself, great acoustic but rather cold architecture. Great excursion to Pilatus (a must in good weather)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family