“Terrible service!”

Dining options: Reservations
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Terrible service!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Terrible service, one of the staff (who is plump) was very rude to us!
Ruined our day trip to Lucern. Will never go back and never ever recommend to others.The manager should train this staff, teach her how to be polite to customers.

• Visited July 2012

Anchorage
“A welcome surprise”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We'd been on the rail a few days, had several less than sterling experiences with service and food quality, and rolled into Lucerne just late enough to catch The Lion at dusk (a must-see, by the way) and witness the rolling-up of the streets. I spied three types of Tartare on the reader board at Grendel and we decided to take a chance even though the prices were a couple of euros higher than the neighbors.

We were well-rewarded with a server that was very gracious and pleasant; we shared an appetizer, salad an main between us along with a couple of locale beirs. Our server made sure that we understood what we were ordering - raw meat, etc. Given we definitely look Western (combined with my wife's Doric accent) she even asked if we'd prefer fries (chips) to the traditional noodles and mushroom gravy, which we declined of course (the chips, that is).

The tartare was excellent -- the caesar salad so-so -- but the pork medallion and mushroom gravy was worth a brag from the chef.

We ate on-street as dusk settled, and felt both at home and on vacation at the same time, if that makes any sense.

This spot is centrally located in the tourist district and is really comfortable and pleasant.

• Visited August 2012
New Westminster, Canada
“A good choice for the area”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had planned to go here anyway, but as it turned out Lucerne rolls up its sidewalks on Sundays and nothing was open outside the tourist core. This is an expensive city anyway, and tourist traps are to be avoided. This doesn't seem to be one.

The menu had plenty of variety and reasonable prices. We had rosti with ham and pear, good. My wife had an excellent bottled apple juice, I had a decent lager. Nothing fancy, just simple food well prepared. Gourmet delight? No, but what we wanted and needed.

Decor? Unremarkable. Ambience? Not really. Outdoor seating? Yes, if you want - but it's a busy street and you might feel crowded.

This is a good choice for people who just want dinner in Lucerne without making a big hoo-hah of it and dropping CHF300.

We also had a VERY helpful and friendly experienced server who gave us some good advice.

• Visited July 2012
SG
“Lunch at Lucerne”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were walking around town looking for lunch when we came across Grendel 19 which serves familiar food. We were surprised to find they have Thai Curry Chicken which we ordered. We also ordered Escalope of Pork which looks like pork chop with potatoes.

The Thai Curry chicken is actually Red Chicken curry with lychee and basmati rice. It comes in 2 sizes of small at CHF$21 and big at CHF$27. Since we are a fan of Thai food we decided to order the big portions. The curry does taste like Thai but a bit too sweet and not spicy enough. I think the sweetness came from the canned lychee. The basmatic rice was fluffy and we were happy to find Asian food in Europe that was not too westernized on our 1st meal in Europe.

The Escalope of Pork at CHF$24.50, came with 2 slices of pan-fried pork chops sitting on white and green asparagus. They were generous with 4 decent sizes baked potato. The Pork chop were a little dry on its own but the creamy mushroom sauce is a nice complement.

Overall food is not bad and prices is ok for Swiss Standard.

• Visited April 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Average restaurant”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Perhaps it was the good reviews that brought up our expectations to this place. I was looking for a place for dinner at the old town when I saw the reviews for Grendel 19 to be quite good. I ordered a mushroom ravioli (special seasonal menu for October). It came with some foam on top which looked rather interesting. Unfortunately, the taste was not as good. The mushroom in the ravioli was too mushy for my liking. I left 3/4 of the plate untouched. I ended up sharing my husband's Thai Curry Chicken which was still acceptable.
When the waitress came to collect our plates, she asked me how was the food and if the ravioli wasn't to my liking. When I told her that the taste didn't agree with me, she apologised for it. She returned shortly with an ice cream. When I told her we didn't order, she told us it was on the house. It was a movenpick strawberry ice cream :) I ate it up in delight.
The ambience of the restaurant was great. We were seated along a back alley where we could see people walking by. It would be nice just to sit there, order a tea/coffee and watch the world go by.
Although the food wasn't to my liking, maybe because I ordered the wrong food, but the service and ambience was excellent.

• Visited October 2011