We had this apartment booked for us by our local rep from Swiss Travel as we were last minute travellers and out of time to research Luzern. This apartment is well located to the centre of the city and 15 min walk to the main train station , and also on 3 or 4 bus routes from the station. It is therefore in a good location to also walk around the historic centre of Luzern and also catch daily explorer trips out to Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatis and Mt Rigi areas. Having an apartment with cooking facilities was ideal for us as it reduced meal costs dramatically and allowed us some home-cooking after weeks of eating out every night ( and a fridge to store a cold beer or two).
However, there are a few negatives that we found with the apartment. They are :
1. Was expecting Swiss styled architecture / a centuries old building. Didnt expect a 1970's style 6 storey concrete block. The apartment is showing some age in its fixtures, so "modern" is not a term I would use.
2. Too close to transport - the start of the Northbound motorway was only 50metres away - this meant constant vehicle noise (cars and busses mainly). The only option for reducing this noise was to close the balcony doors.
3. Lack of ventilation - no a/c and only a very small (and virtually dust clogged) vent above the entrace door. With the balcony doors open this was OK. Here we enter Catch22 territory as with the doors open you get traffic noise. You cannot leave the balcony doors open whilst sleeping due to security issues and noise, so by morning the apartment is a big stuffy sweatbox
4. Even though there is a kitchen, it doesnt have a microwave, we had to ask for toaster and kettle to be sent to the room, and a tv would cost 6francs a day if we wanted one in the room. Even though dishwashing liquid is provided, a sponge/wipe is not - but you are expected to keep the kitchen clean - go figure that one out Sherlock!!
5. 90% of the view was a 6 storey car park
I would recommend this to a friend on the proviso that I have informed them on the negative bits - its such a good location and being able to cook your own meals is also a big advantage. As long as you can cope with the traffic noise and/or stuffiness.
We only met the man running the show once - when we enquired about a toaster,kettle and dishcloth. We arrived late and got the key from the key-safe and left early before office hours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The holiday residence an der Reuss is situated next to the motorway exit "Luzern-Zentrum", just 3 minutes walk from the picturesque old town and is easy to reach by car or public transport. Bakery and Grocery store are just a few steps away.There is a reception and two lifts in the residence. Underground parking is available at extra cost.The apartments are all comfortably furnished and spacious. Well-equipped kitchen with a large refrigerator, Bath/Shower/WC, hair dryer, radio, wireless internet access and balcony.Some apartments, called “Luzerner Suites”, offer separate ISDN connections so you can reach anywhere in the world from one of the most beautiful towns in central Switzerland.Highlights:Room service with breakfast served in apartmentOwn underground parkingWireless Internet access/ISDN in “Luzerner Suites”Only a few minutes walk to city centre, restaurants and “Gütschbahn”Just 100 m to bus station ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Utoring An Der Reuss Hotel Lucerne