“What it says on the can”

ibis budget Luzern City
Ranked #39 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Lucerne is a very expensive place so the Ibis offers budget accommodation to meet the thrifty traveller. So what you see is what you get. Rooms are small and spartan, contain little storage space, no locks on the toilets (strange) and no safes. That said as a place to sleep it does the job. Decent breakfast for an extra 11 francs - well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John W
Manuel F, General Manager at ibis budget Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear John

Thank you for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor.

Yes it is true that our rooms are not the biggest.
Ibis budget offer a clean and safe place to stay for a budget price.
It is well located and therefore perfect for travelers.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards

Manuel Fajardo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Inexpensive hotels in Switzerland can be hard to find, but this place bucks the trend. Travelling alone I needed an inexpensive place to stay and managed to get 3 nights for £70 a night, which for Luzern is good value. It is an Ibis 'Budget' hotel so don't expect a grand ballroom and piano bar! However what I did get was a comfortable room that was immaculately clean, comfy bed, decent shower and the usual continental cold breakfast. There is also free wifi on site. The staff were very polite and efficient and there was always somebody on hand who could speak perfect English. The hotel is very near Luzern Hbf station which was handy for me as I was using the train, and is in a safe area and I felt perfectly safe late at night. The only slight downside that some people may dislike it it's behind Luzern rail yard so there is the noise of trains to contend with, however one has to remember the price, in any case I love trains so this was no problem! For the solo traveller who doesn't need the luxury hotel that a couple may need this place is perfect. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was our first time staying in the ibis brand. As the name suggest that its a budget hotel is the exact description for what you get. This place is close to train station i would say 10 mins walk. Hotel is great, great value for money and rooms are clean. The check-in reception staff was helpful. A seperate toilet and bathroom great for two people but beware there are no handles on the door for bathrooms which was no bother. Bed was comfortable with fancy light buttons. Free internet wifi was good and speed was also OK. Open hanger for clothes. On the reception area there is vending machine for water, beer and other stuffs. Good place for a short visit.
We recommend the place for the people who are on budget. Didn't tried the breakfast so don't have any opinion about it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank racy846
Reviewed April 8, 2014

the hotel it's just what you would expect from an Ibis Hotel, great value, rooms are very clean, the location could be better but to be honest with you, all you have to do is walk 100 meters and hop on a bus, you'll get anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes.

There were two downsides to my stay in Ibis, 1 was a drunk guy shouting in the street just outside the hotel (i think it's kinda to be expected on a saturday night...) and the second thing... well i'm still baffled about, in a room next to mine there were strange noises... either someone sneaked a dog into a room, or the guest was into some strange things.... well one of the two started barking late at night..

While i had better experiences with Ibis in other citys, and i would recommend for exemple the ibis in zurich in a heartbeat.. i can't do it for luzern

IF you are looking for the most awesome sleeping experience you might wanna look elsewhere, i feel like the sound insulation is insufficient but if you just need a clean place to sleep a bit then it's perfect

BEWARE
if you travel with family you might want to go elsewhere unless you don't mind everyone in the room looking at you while you shower...

About the sleep quality vote of 4/5:
yes there were noises, so the vote should be lower, BUT the bed was insanely comfy (personal opinion)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Manuel F, Manager at ibis budget Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Mark

Thank you for sharing your good experience you had staying with us.
I am glad to read that you had a good night sleep and that the bed comforted you.
This is what we are aiming for. A clean and comfortable room for a low price.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind regards from Lucerne

Reviewed March 28, 2014

first time in an Ibis budget and the stay was great. the staff were most helpful. good comfortable beds. hot water aplenty with room in the shower and thankfully a separate toilet / great for 2 people.
the glass shower is no issue. the toilets have a door but no handle which was no bother. screens that close ensuring peaceful dark sleep. nagging space no issue for short stays. and it was a more than adequate breakfast. AND Internet is free. only about 10 minutes walk to the rail station and the centre.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the offside space for bags if 2 of you
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColingUnther
Manuel F, General Manager at ibis budget Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear ColingUnther

A big thank you for your positive review!
It really motivates us to keep up our service.

I will share your response with the staff.

We hope to welcome you again!

Greetings from Lucerne

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Nice Hotel in Lucerne close to the center and the rail station.
Did not need public transport during the 4 day stay.
Bed was comfortable and had some fancy light buttons :-).
Only real problem was there was no closet for cloths. Just a open hanger.
OK for a few days stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Blazeiliev
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Abridged complaint email to this company, of which a reply of no use was given. In short horrible
Location in design, service and price. Go somewhere else, even a hostel is better

Also don't forget the toilets with no real door and the see through shower and mirror ensuring everyone in the triple room can see every thing from anywhere

To whom it concern,

Myself and a traveling companion were absolutely appalled by the level of service revived at this location during our stay.

First of all we contacted the location before booking in order to confirm if twin rooms were available, as online tree where only double rooms with the possibly of (by chance) recievig bunk beds... On emailing the location we were informed rather rudely that no twin rooms existed and if we wanted the triple we would have to pay that rate to ensure we could have it, and even though the price was more expensive than other hotels in the area we chose to do this because of the IBIS representation and the luxury of a double bed for one of us.

On arrival we were then greeted by a rather rude receptionist who demanded (not asked) that we sign this, give me your passport etc.... After paying (see below) we went to our room to find that we had be downgraded to the twin room that supposedly didn't exist (and we had payed more to ensure the triple room) so I went back to reception to ask about this and was told by the same employee "why do you need that, there are only two of you? You have separate beds isn't that what you wanted" I explained that we had been made to pay for a more expensive triple room and so that is what we would like or a reduction in price... She angrily claimed that she was just doing us a favour and said she didn't care either way so changed our room to the triple. She then muttered something ( in Swiss German I believe ) immediate to her co-worker after I turned around which I find incredibly rude, demeaning and irresponsible regardless of what she actually said).

After this we left to go to dinner and retuned late that night to find that my bed was not made (sheets were sitting there for us to Make ourselves) and the showers were half see-through (presents a problem with two friends of opposite sexes).... Obviously the showers were just a design flaw but the beds not being made really was annoying as I began to feel that I could have stayed at a local hostel if I wanted to make my own bed (also there was no duvet but rather a dirty looking green blanket with no cover- who knows if it is washed between guests). Regardless it was late at night and I didn't want to deal with the embittered receptionist again so we made our own beds.

The other major issue was payment, for which it was demanded straight away on arrival (no problem) and could not be a combination of cash and card (only all Cash or Multiple Cards)... We had planned to use the remainder of out Swiss francs to pay and top upwih card as has been common on our travels one Europe (and never a problem at other locations - IBIS or otherwise) .... She simple said it's impossible , it's impossible and was rather unhelpful and told us we could not check in till we had paid so we begrudgingly paid all on card.... I'm not sure why such a policy exists but I feel that a more customer friendly approach is needed to explain it to customers or even better find a way to allow customers to pay In the way it best suits them, surely the location is not hugely inconvenienced by the combination?

Sorry for such a long email, I just feel that I have really been let down by the brand, which I have used many times before on this trip and others, and feel it is important to make someone in the company formally aware of issues rather than just putting out negative reviews.

For your time
And patience,

Jordan Adkins

PS Please do not feel these sorts of emails are something I normally do, I have not had a such a negative experience in the previous three months traveling and am aware that the location is a budget hotel and therefore lowered my expectation accordingly ( and did not fret about the bed lights that didn't work, the mirror by the shower so people inside are viewable from the entire room, the lack of towels provided, the loud air conditioning vent, the shower head which would not stay connected and had to be hand held) but even then such low expectations were not met.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jadk001
Manuel F, Manager at ibis budget Luzern City, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Jordan

Thank you for sharing your experiences you had with us.
I very much appreciate it, as it helps me to train our teams effectively.

As there were quite a few misunderstandings between you and one receptionist, I just want to speak out my apology that we did not meet all your expectations. I am not going into much detail as I respect your opinions about your stay.

In ibis budget the room price is always the same, regardless of the room type. Triple-, twin- or single bedded room.
Of course you can mix your payment methods to settle your bill. Sorry again, that this was not possible at that time.

Nevertheless, thank you for staying with us. We hope to welcome you again on another occasion.

Kind regards from Lucerne