“good food and nice view”

Restaurant Balances
Ranked #2 of 415 Restaurants in Lucerne
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In Balances restaurant, Luzern, head chef Andy Fluri creates culinary masterpieces with great success. This master chef, who has been awarded 14 points by the prestigious Gault-Millau guide, takes his guests on a flight of fancy for the taste buds, with delicacies such: as cream of parmesan soup with basil Espuma and beef fillet steak carpaccio; braised veal cheeks in a truffle jus, served with a potato and onion mash and savoy bacon; or dumplings filled with chocolate and nuts, accompanied by apple mousse with sour cream and banana ice cream. All meals are prepared with only market fresh produce and everything is produced according to the season. Guests are welcomed with historic flair, which is also in keeping with modern design and makes for a stylish establishment decorated in warm, natural tones. This extraordinary ambience is even more enhanced by the terrace, which looks directly on to the Reuss, which sets the mood not only for the romantics, but for all diners, as there is a sense of being on the Venecian Grand Canal.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

on the border of the river Reuss you will find a very good Restaurant with a nice view to the old City of Lucerne. the Food is very good, Prices for the wine Little expensive and the staff extremly friendly. it's a pitty that Smoking is forbidden on the terrace

1  Thank Niklaus D

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We've eaten here four times from both the set menu and the a la carte menu.

Each meal has been absolutely delicious and the service just right - there when we were looking for it.

We'll keep on coming back and look forward to our next visit

1  Thank Keith M
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Came here by accident. I had been walking around the town and wanted a drink as it was hot and I was thirsty. Did a check on "near me now" and this place came up. It was only when I got the menu did I realise I might be somewhere special.

Anyway, I had the tasting menu and sat on the terrace. It was early so people were arriving as I was slowly working my way through the menu, It was pretty good food I must say and very good service. I wasn't a tramp, but neither was I dressed up and was very well treated.

I think I was there the same night as one of the recent reviewers and we were welcomed to a torrential downpoor as we ate dinner. I was OK as I was close to the wall versus the river, but the staff were very quick to move people that were affected by the rain.

Overall - a very nice meal in a very nice restaurant.

1  Thank thefrequenttraveller
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I came across this restaurant on the website http://www.luzern.com/en/restaurant-guide as I was searching for places to eat during our two day stay in Lucerne. On short notice (1 day) I was able to make a Sunday night reservation for seven people. I really wanted to sit outside, but figured with my reservation on short notice for such a large group we might wind up inside. When we arrived, the staff was very courteous and we requested an outside table if possible since it was such a beautiful night. We were happy and surprised when the host told us that "everyone" with reservations would be dining outside that evening. With a table right on the water we were able to watch as the sun set and a brief rainstorm blew over (but not enough to require us to move inside). Our evening was capped by a gorgeous double rainbow appearing over the church across the water. The food was excellent both in presentation and quality, the drinks were high quality and well made, and the staff was friendly and courteous. The prices are on the high side, but you get what you pay for, and the price was worth it. We had two children (ages 7 and 10) in our group and they enjoyed splitting the perch entree. Might not be the best place for picky children (I don't recall if they had a children's menu), but our non-picky children were well-accommodated off the main menu. Would definitely go back again if ever in Lucerne.

1  Thank tjaeckle
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We recently enjoyed an excellent dinner outside on the terrace overlooking the lake. The hotel is well appointed and the staff efficient and friendly. Given that this is Switzerland the prices were reasonable for such a gourmet experience. They even laid on a spectacular storm with lightning flashing between the mountains.

1  Thank Carole B