“Large rooms, friendly staff”

H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Engelberg
Stockholm, Sweden
“Large rooms, friendly staff”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

The rooms here seem to be recently refurbished and it shows mainly in the bathrooms that looked really nice. Main room (801) on the top floor was large and had a small sofa area and balcony. Good storage space and the only complaints we had were about the pillows.
Oh my god. Don't think I've ever experienced worse pillows in a hotel of this caliber. It's supposed to be a 4-star but they didn't have any other pillows to offer and even though we slept on three pillows each the weekend was somewhat marked by neck pain. It was like sleeping on pillowcases with towels inside.

Staff couldn't do anything about this so we just had to accept the situation and since everyone there was really friendly and welcoming that gave them some good points. Although it would be smart not to put a new employee alone at the front desk when people needed answers about basic Engelberg facts. She had no clue about anything really and should have had a supervisor next to her.

Anyway, we had good encounters with other staff and since this was our first time traveling with our dog outside Sweden the Ramada worked perfectly for us. No problem having him with us (in his bag) by the breakfast table or in the Strega restaurant for dinner. The staff really made him feel like a guest too. As seems to be the general approach towards dogs in Switzerland. We were not turned away from any restaurants in our 6 days in the country. Extremely dog-friendly. Danke schön.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alain P, Manager at H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for the extraordinary review of your stay. It's the best reward our work if our concept could make a guest so satisfied. I'll pass on this praise to my staff-this will surely inspire them to go ahead.

A. Packes/ General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed May 15, 2013

this nice & warm hotel in the city center ; the rooms are large ; clean ; bathroom was so large with banio (not only shower). nice service as the swiss people hapitude.
we got a dinner in the famous restaurant down ; it was somthing ; nice & elegant served ; good tasty ; nice drinks too.

Room Tip: titlis view rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alain P, Manager at H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest
THANK YOU for all your kind words and for taking your time reviewing your stay with us!
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the service/ hospitality and the breakfast ....
It is very important to me to get your opinion, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Had a wonderful stay, original booked a family room but they upgraded us to a larger suite which was fantastic! Great view from the room, plenty of space, excellent breakfast. Terrific location, easy walk from the train station and short walk to the Titlis station, very friendly staff. Was a bit dubious about staying here (thought it would be over run with tour groups) but could not have been better. Kids were very impressed with the pool, especially after a whole day playing in the snow on Mt Titlis.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
THANK YOU for all your kind words "the perfect ski weekend" and for taking your time reviewing your stay with us!
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the service and the hospitality.

General
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I came here with a group of people from work last year and this year we repeated the experience. I was pleased to see that the peculiar space in the lobby had been transformed into a nice lounge area. My room I got this time had been renovated as well, not sure if that means all the rooms are renovated or if it a bit of hit and miss. Rooms are large and comfortable. Bathroom is small, but adequate and nicely decorated.
Staff seem friendly and service-oriented.
Pool looked nice, but I did not visit.
Like last time, I thought the breakfast was fantastic, lots of fruit-based concoctions and youghurts and so on.
The hotel and Engelberg is a very convenient resort, I did cross-country skiing while my friends did down-hill and all work equally well. Everything appears to be well-organized.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank deselbyswe
Alain P, Manager at H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg, responded to this review, May 14, 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend.

Pros: bus to lift across the street extremely central location for all restaurants and bars and a very short walk to the train station, large bathtub in room fills up very fast, ok lobby bar, nice pool

Cons: windows are not double glazed making street noise (and people) very loud, asked for a toothbrush at 10p and was told they couldn't get to me till 6a, heavy room keys need to be returned to front desk everyday making it a trip from room to front desk to boot room to outside, breakfast staff seemed understaffed, 'jacuzzi' next to pool was really a one man tub which cost 5fr to use, many people in hotel bar in bathrobes which was not appropriate but staff did nothing to intervene

In the end a nice town but Engelberg a bit of a pain to get up mountain. On a busy Saturday you could be waiting an hour at the bottom in a queue and takes another hot to get to the top. Lots of Asian tourists not great either but can be avoided by skiing on the right of the mountain.

• Stayed March 2013

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I only have positive things to say about this hotel, which is an exceedingly comfortable and convenient place to stay in Engelberg, the foremost being:
1. The most excellent staff, who were very welcoming and friendly, and assisted us with every query (and were on hand when we arrived exhausted at 1am in the morning from Zurich airport to check us in). The wonderful restaurant staff even presented me with a homemade cake at breakfast on my 30th birthday (Friday 22 February) which was a very lovely and thoughtful touch and really made my day. Unfortunately I couldn't eat more than one piece as I was recovering from an illness and on orders to avoid dairy. It was delicious though so I am glad I managed one piece - a special thank you to the restaurant staff!
2. Excellent location for skiing - right opposite the free ski shuttle bus stop. The reception staff can also print your lift passes to avoid the queues at the gondola!
3. Great breakfast buffet and the a la carte also very good. We did not get a chance to try the more upmarket Italian restaurant but it looked very inviting.
4. Great value rooms with all the necessary comforts, very clean. Lots of wardrobe space, plenty of room for bags, and hooks to hang all of your skiing paraphernalia, plus a good sized desk and sofa, balcony and flat screen tv. The bathrooms look to have been recently renovated to a very good standard and I appreciated the large fluffy bathrobes!
I wish we had the time to check out the sauna and spa facilities (too busy skiing and eating I'm afraid!) as they looked very nice.
Finally, the staff all speak excellent English but were also happy to let me me practise my rusty German on them.
A very big (and belated) thank you for making my 30th birthday skiing weekend such a lovely experience.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie P
Alain P, Manager at H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg, responded to this review, April 4, 2013

General
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was very comfortable and all staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great for both the skiing (bus stop outside the hotel and only a few minutes to the slopes) and the town. The wellness facilities were great too with a big sauna, steam room and showers. The bar however only had a limited menu and little atmosphere so best to head out into the town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Alain P, Manager at H+ Hotel & SPA Engelberg, responded to this review, March 5, 2013