“The perfect hotel?”

Ski Lodge Engelberg
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Engelberg
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I travel a great deal but I seldom take the time to write a review. My visit to the Ski Lodge Engelberg inspired me to share my experiences. Firstly, it is end of the season here in Switzerland, but the skiing was still good on the glacier and the town is quaint and includes a 12th c. monastery. Back to the hotel, it really excelled in every area. From check-in the staff were very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly (directions, power adapter, check-out, you name it). They all really seem to care about every traveler having a great experience. The food in the restaurant was every bit as good as that served in New York or London. I mean the menu is so creative (creme soup with aged dried beef or chicken with chorizo, many more.....), the wine list has excellent selections including some local vineyards and the service impeccable. Much of the staff is from Sweden as the owners are Swedish and I learned that most can pull off aerials on the slopes as well. The rooms are standard but many have views of the Alps and it should be noted that the beds are super comfortable. I was officially relaxed after the best nights sleep in recent memory on the first night! The bar and sun deck is the perfect afternoon meeting place. I was told that it is a hot spot during the winter season. This is a hotel to seek out as it really has it all.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed March 10, 2011

Apple should use this hotel for an advert as I have never seen so many i-phones, macbooks and ipads in the same place, the Bar is like Steve Job's vision of heaven. I think he would also enjoy the apres ski.

This is a cool funky place but not really a high level of comfort, beds and bathrooms are basic. The service can sometimes be a bit inconsistent between the reception and the bar and sometimes I just gave up on getting a drink because no one showed up to serve me.

The food is excellent. We ate dinner in the hotel four nights and we were really happy with the menu. The portions were a good size, there was a good wine selection and the staff were very pleasant and proffessional.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
EricSpongberg, Owner at Ski Lodge Engelberg, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Hello Mike,

I hope you had a safe trip back to Prague, and thank you for reviewing us!

About the Apple part - we agree! Somehow, it seemed like every iPad and iPhone-loving skier in the world gathered in our bar. I hope the word spreads so we can have Steve Jobs here some day to show him some proper mountains :)

About comfort - we want our rooms to be clean, cozy, but not luxurious. All rooms are redone within the last 3 years with en-suite bathrooms, quality beds, LCD-tvs, balcony (most rooms) and some quirky design details too.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of service at the bar - it is simply due to the fact that the bar is closed during day time! Our fault that it is not clearly communicated. The receptionist is always in the house to pour you a beer or make a macchiato, but you need to go and ask her/him. Thanks to you, there is now a beautiful sign on the desk saying "The bar opens at 4pm, please ask the receptionist if you need anything."

Thanks for the recommendation and glad you liked the food & service - hope to see you back here!

//The whole Ski Lodge Team

Reviewed March 9, 2011

We just had a week with our teenage sons at Skilodge.
Warm and welcoming staff. All of them more or less experienced skiers, so you could get good advice and tips of where to ski. Which guide to use etc. Great food. We had the skiers dinner with the recommended wines every night. Excellent and worth every nickel.
Rooms are basic, but you don't need more after a day in the slopes and a nice dinner to top it of - You just crash to bed. Nice and relaxed after ski. No need to go to other places.
Skilodge the perfect living for skifreaks.
Magnus & Lotta, Joel, Niklas

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Hello Magnus, Lotta, Joel and Niklas,

Thanks for reviewing us, we are always happy to hear feedback from guests! Snowy regards from the whole team at Ski Lodge - and a special hello from Nina in the reception.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have spend several times at Ski Lodge Engelberg, and my first time was two years ago. This hotel and its management including the staff, had developed the quality and service level tremendous since the start. This year connecting the two buildings with the reception part in the middle is excellent. I spend several times skiing in the alps and Engelberg together with Ski Lodge is a perfect combination, it will soon be my third trip this year and I can wait to be back, I have stayed at Ski Lodge both in business and for private trips and I also have the opportunity to compare this hotel with other in Engelberg, and I have to say that the quality level outrange others in the area widely. I hope the ownership and the management team with all employee continue with the started intentions of what Ski Lodge suppose to deliver in customer satisfaction and value för money.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Wow - thank you Urban!

Great to hear feedback from someone who has experienced Ski Lodge during our first three years in action. You can definitely count on us - we will continue to do our very best to make you a happy and returning guest :) The building of the new reception and restaurant was this year's news, and we have some more secret plans for the coming years...

We hope to see you here many times again, and the whole team with Matilda, Jonas, Annic and Robert sends their best wishes!

Reviewed February 22, 2011

If you're skiing in Engelberg (highly underrated mountain I would add) then there are few better places to enjoy the break than from Ski Lodge Engelberg.

First off, it's right next to the train station / bus stop - that's a good thing: unlike in a city where you'd rather be comfortably distant from the train station, this is extremely convenient for arrival, and equally convenient to catching the free shuttle to any of the lifts in the valley.
Secondly, the hotel is very comfortable, cozy, etc whatever you want to call it. Not cozy meaning small, but cozy meaning comfortable, warm, welcoming, etc. The staff are great and have a very helpful and positive attitude. The rooms and beds all get the job done with no gripes.
One of the hotel's best features has got to be its restaurant. The chef has some tremendous dishes and the value is fantastic. Seriously, this was probably where we had the best meals on the trip. The town center is just a 2-3 min walk away, but you can't beat the food at Ski Lodge Engelberg.
Also, for apres-ski and after a day on the slopes there's a lively bar and an authentic, yet simple, sauna and hot tub (both outside) - and the good thing is that the noise from the fun scene at the bar doesn't really travel upwards to the rooms located above it.
Those are the main pro's, and any con's would be insignificant and just a feeble attempt at trying to search for faults, that likely would not be a deterrent for someone to stay here anyway.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
EricSpongberg, Owner at Ski Lodge Engelberg, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Hi Ben,

Thank you for all you kind words and praise! Jonas and his team in the kitchen love kind words from happy guests, it makes them even more motivated at the pots. At the moment we are planning our own little garden for the summer season, so our summer guests can expect home-grown delicacies too :)

Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed February 15, 2011

My husband & I enjoyed staying here & enjoyed Engelberg (the town & the mountains surrounding it) so much we changed our holiday plans to come back for another week!. It's a really well set up & very relaxed hotel. While there were lots of blond haired & shiny faced young Swedes with daunting ski's under their arms, the guests were a mixture of ages & nationality & I have to say skiing ability.
The highlights of the hotel are definitely the restaurant and the bar. They were both great to say the least. To come in at the end of a days skiing to a 3 course gourmet "skiers dinner" for about CHF 49 was quite superb & the menu changed every night. The wine list was also excellent with good variety & reasonable prices, the service outstanding also.
The bar is in the middle of the hotel, open & very friendly with views out over the mountain & across to the Engelberg downhill jump run which looks great at night when it's lit up - we even watched the team practising while sipping on a cold local beer. Prices excellent, gluwein good, atmosphere excellent & you're guarranteed to meet some friendly people.
Rooms lovely & big. Each time our double room had glorious views over mountain.
The local free shuttle bus stops outside the door so getting to the slopes was dead easy. The slopes themselves are not so easy - we headed home at the end of a glorious holiday with one of us nurturing a broken leg. Having said that, the local medical facilities were superb, we couldn't have wished for more.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Hi BebeSydney!

I'm sorry about the broken leg, but I hope you had a safe trip back anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for all the kind words! The idea we had with the bar was to create a lively, talk-friendly place to meet new people and have a good chat, glad it seemed to work :)

Jonas and the kitchen & Annic and the restaurant team send their best wishes, and we hope to see you again soon. The snow is back in village also, 50 cm so far this week and more to come. Yay!

Reviewed January 18, 2011

We spend 4 days at Ski Lodge as our company decided to go skiing in Engelberg. Ski Lodge helped us with everything from transport from the airport (also providing us with some Swiss made beer to drink during the drive), dinner at the hotel, ski passes and ski rental etc. Service and food at the hotel was excellent (best dinner during the week and really good breakfast) and the girls in the reception helped us plan a fantastic trip!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for the kind words Kristofer, we enjoyed having you here too! The girls in the reception send a special hello :)