“Beautiful hotel but....”

Ranked #6 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Beautiful hotel but....”
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Stayed at the East West hotel for a long weekend. The location is excellent for everything you will want to see in Geneva and only a short walk from the train station so getting there from the airport was very quick and easy.

The hotel itself was beautiful, immaculately clean and very atmospheric with the deep colours and subdued lighting. There was a wonderful bathroom with very nice complimentary toilettries and lots of nice little touches like a cake left for you when the room was turned down for the evening.

The breakfast was included in our room rate and there was a good variety of all the things you would expect available. As Geneva is very, very expensive, I would suggest that you try to negotiate a rate that includes breakfast so you don't have to pay for it on top of room rate. The hotel is also well located for a choice of places to eat out in the evening and finding something suitable shouldn't be a problem.

One minor problem with our room was that the Nespresso coffee machine did not work at all and although we reported this it was not fixed during our stay.

The only really negative thing I have to say about our stay is that the noise from the street outside was really disruptive and meant that we didn't get a full nights sleep on any of the nights we were there. I am by no means a light sleeper but even after buying ear-plugs for nights 2 and 3 of our stay, I was still woken up with the noise from outside around 3-4am.

On the Friday and Saturday night it was mostly people shouting in the street. I presume this was because there were either pubs or late night food shops nearby. On the Sunday night / Monday morning it was the noise from traffic that was a problem, I think this may have been lorries delivering to some of the surrounding businesses.

I'm surprised no other reviewer has mentioned this fact so maybe we were just unlucky but it would definitely make me think twice before booking this hotel again. The majority of the rooms at the hotel face on to the street so I think it would be difficult to request a room that would guarantee this wouldn't be an issue.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at the eastwest hotel for 3 nights in November 2008 on business and absolutely loved it!

Check in was very smooth. The staff takes the time to show you around your room, the fitness center, etc. The hotel is very trendy and fun. The room was very nice and comfortable and had plenty of space for me. It was also incredibly clean. The shower was very nice as well. Wireless worked well which is great for business travelers. The bed was quite comfortable. The room was warm at first but I adjusted that.

Each evening they had turn down service and left a small cookie on your bed- it was a nice way to end each evening.

The fitness center is fine- it is small but I used it twice and there was never a problem.

The bar is nice as well. We had drinks twice and the selection and service were both good.

The location was fine for us- we walked to the nice shopping area and along the lake.

Check out was smooth as well.

I loved this hotel and would enjoy staying there again.

• Liked — the overall vibe and great service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Everywhere
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Geneva is a bad city for business travel. Hotels are expensive, and generally of a poor standard. The upmarket dinosaurs, like the Four Seasons, are outrageously expensive, and the less well known four stars (except for the Manotel chain) are generally worn out and past their best.

But....in the Eastwest I think I have found an exception. Its small and compact, but its friendly, trendy and the best I have found of its type. Its still expensive, but not outrageously so.

The rooms are small, even the executive rooms, but they are very functional and full of nice touches, such as fragrance, coffee makers, safes, free wi-fi, free bottled water etc. There is a small gym and sauna too.

All staff that I encountered were great. Keen to help but not grovelling. The food was good. I had tapas in the bar. Indeed the food and drink were not overly expensive.

Location is good for the station (10 minutes walk), but close to the red light district if you are shocked by these things. There is a really good french restaurant over the road (the Entrecote Cordonee).

The only thing that bugged me....in these environmentally consious times, why did the bottled water come from Wales??

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We ended up staying here because our flight was cancelled. I have to say this is one gem of a hotel - friendly staff, beautiful rooms, lovely bathrooms and a stunning bar. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Great hotel. Brand new. Elegant, modern and clean. Japanese style decoration. All very hype and modern. The rooms are a bit small but comfortable and quiet. The beds are very good, the bathroom is trendy. I enjoyed my stay a lot. The room has its own Nespresso machine for tea and coffee free of charge. The hotel has a small court in the backyard with a very modern fountain and nice sofas. The hotel is not very cheap but definitively worth it. I will definitively come back.

• Liked — Luxury and modern
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Earlier this year, we decided to spend a few days in Geneva before spending a week in the Alps with a group of friends. Having heard that the EastWest had opened recently, we were quite curious to try this new hotel.

The look and feel of the rooms and the public areas is sleek and modern with lovely accents from mostly eastern cultures.

Great bar & restaurant just off the lobby, nice wines, good cocktails and a delightful menu with lots of tapas like small dishes. We started with a few drinks & nibbles before going out for dinner, but we never left the EastWest and ended up spending the whole evening there. Very friendly and efficient staff definitely helped to complete this very positive experience.

We liked that the rooms we got were all different from each other, but all of them were spacious with the most amazing bedding and very comfortable bathrooms. (I could just sleep there every night!) Towels & bathrobes were very, very fluffy, a true delight. Room service breakfast was the best and it's great to be able to make first espresso of the day in your room while waiting for the fresh croissants to arrive.

Loved the details; from the pillow spray down to the toweled flip-flops and the laundry bags.

It was good to know there is a small but well equipped gym in the basement when I started to feel guilty about those pastries.

All I can say, "when you are in Geneva, you MUST go and stay the EastWest".

• Liked — Comfort, decor, food & wine, very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Having to leave after three days (and that the a/c was out of order in the gym...).
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Dorado, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Loved this hotel, and I am fairly hard to please. We arrived after a red eye flight from the US and the reception staff was so welcoming and friendly.
Pros:
-The room was immaculate (very important to me).
-We all agreed the bed was the most comfortable of any hotel in recent memory.
-Friendly bar staff.
-Nice breakfast buffet.
-Very well-appointed and comfortable room.
-Nice bathroom.
-Great air conditioning.
-Good location.

Cons:
-No door on the shower resulting in water flooding the floor.
-When we arrived we were short a bath mat and hand towels however on evening turn down service the floor was mopped up, and we had a bath mat, hand towels, and fresh towels replacing the ones that we had already used.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who prefers the boutique hotel experience. It definitely stands out in my mind as one of the best places I have stayed for its comfort and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends