“Very cool boutique and close to everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Eastwest Hotel

Eastwest Hotel
Ranked #6 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Seattle
“Very cool boutique and close to everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I generally stay in the Paquis area of Geneva as it is a lot more lively and provides much more options for dining versus the hotels near the airport. I have stayed at most of the Paquis area hotels during my frequent business trips. I have to say that Eastwest is my new favorite - to be honest, my favorite is the Kempinski but its generally too expensive. I like the Eastwest for its convenient location (close to the train station without hearing the noise) and just a short walk to old town Geneva.

The room and the hotel was very nicely decorated and was quite large for Geneva standards. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was nicely adorned with a nice tub/shower.

I didn't dine at the restaurant so I can't say anything good or bad.

Note: This hotel is at the end of the road where the 'red light district' meets Rue des Paquis but that is NOT a problem or concern as the people aren't pushy or even really visible.

Bottom line, I think I have found my new go-to hotel in Geneva.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JP_SEA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Last minute pick after a flight cancellation with limited expectations. I have travelled a lot for work and play and stayed in many hotels; this one was a very pleasant surprise. It's very stylish and quite "funky" but, unusually for such a hotel, in no way sacrifices on quality service and facilities. The staff were friendly, responsive and very helpful (lending me chargers for BB and iPhone with no issues). It's in a great location but slightly "colourful" neighborhood which actually just gives it more character on the otherwise quite bland Geneva canvas. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Beijing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Eastwest Hotel for 3 nights in January; 2 nights on our way through Geneva and 1 night on return. We arrived early on a Saturday morning with 2 young children and 3 large suitcases. No one helped with the bags, so my husband had to bring them into the lobby himself. The lady at reception did not acknowledge us when we entered and after standing at the reception counter for a short while, I announced that we had a reservation and would like to check in. Her response was "Really? What name?". Not the sort of welcome that I expected. We had 2 twin rooms with one adult and one child in each. Both rooms were at the front of the hotel and were extremely noisy at night. We had to sleep with earplugs in to avoid being woken up continuously. You could hear people talking loudly on the street at all hours of the night and could even hear the click clack of people's shoes as they walked up the street. On our return journey, one of the rooms that we were given was at the rear of the building and was whisper quiet. I would highly recommend that you request a room at the back if you want to have a decent night's sleep. One of the rooms that we had, #47, was also very hot. The rooms are supposed to have individual temperature control, but it was still very hot even after turning the heating off completely. The rooms are compact, clean and functional, but not what I would describe as luxurious, though the bathrooms are very nice.

I found the service at the hotel to be a little too cool. While the staff were helpful when we made requests, they were not warm or particularly friendly. Early one morning when leaving my room the housekeeper asked (in French) if she could service my room now. I don't speak french but indicated that I did not want the room serviced now (I was going downstairs for a few minutes to collect one of my kids and would be back shortly). She persisted, so due to the language barrier, I simply put the "Do not disturb" sign on my door. She rolled her eyes, shook her head and huffed at me.

There wasn't a great deal on offer at the breakfast buffet, but the food was of good quality. If you want bacon for breakfast, be sure to get in early as they only cook about 8 rashes!

The location is very convenient. It is only about a 10 minute walk to the old town in one direction and to the train station in the other. There are several cafes and restaurants in the area and the bakery across the road from the hotel has good pastries and coffee. We ate there one morning because we had to make an early start and the hotel breakfast doesn't start until 7am (a little late in my opinion).

I probably wouldn't stay at Eastwest again due to the noise and the impersonal service.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. The rooms at the front are very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MCzaiBeijing
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is by far one of the best hotels I've stayed in Geneva.
Attentive staff. Clean, well appointed rooms. Great bathroom.
Lovely attentions - the pillow spray and cookies they leave when doing the room is simply wonderful. Breakfast is perfect. Gym (fitness) is small but not crowed and well equipped.
Would recommend to anyone and everyone - business, couple or solo.

Room Tip: Solo rooms are small but charming with the dormers.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at the Eastwest Hotel in early August for 3 nights on my way home from a 6 week holiday through France.
It was a very nice hotel, and I do prefer smaller properties which Eastwest is. Location wise, it was very convenient to walk from the hotel over the quai into the city centre. It is a very easy walk, and as a solo female traveller I did not have any issue with doing this, even at night. Across the road is a small convenience store if you wish to purchase any snacks or drinks.
I had the solo room which was large enough for me, although the ceiling at one point had a downward slant and I did clumsily knock my head!
The room has a Nespresso machine for those who enjoy a coffee. I ordered room service on my final night and it was a very good meal.
Overall, I had a pleasant stay at the Eastwest and would stay again. A very good standard of hotel for the price, and I would only stay elsewhere if I wanted a hotel along the quai, otherwise, Eastwest would be sufficient for me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank happymeal
Bedford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed 6 nights at this intimate hotel tucked away in a neighborhood far enough away from the city hustle & bustle but close enough to walk to (5 minutes from center of town). The unique east/west design.... think elegant dark woods, eastern decorations, and one of a kind furniture has a relaxed but hip style. Breakfast is standard with excellent croissants. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful with any questions including translations from English to French! Bedroom has beautifully modern design in keeping with rest of hotel. Nespresso coffee/hot water maker, very good toiletries and wonderful rain shower. I thought the "sos toiletries" list provided was excellent idea! Every time I called house-keeping or room service it was very prompt. All in all everyone was very accommodating and professional. Oh and fitness room was great... small but sufficient. Will definitely return....... thanks to one and all and happy new year!

Room Tip: i was on the 2nd floor and some nights it was noisy but thats because some customers staying adjacen...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carole M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I spent one night with my wife and I have to say that I will go back there! Nice people, good service, wonderful rooms and a perfect location. The hotle has a car parking which is useful if you know it before getting there...
The breakfast is nice and next time I will try the restaurant. it looks really nice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple