“Some find it boring, but I like it”

Chez Boubier Cafe de Paris
Ranked #28 of 1,735 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cornavin
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is a funny experience, one choice only, tuned to perfection, and quite expensive. But the place is working like swiss clockwark, fine tuned process that very efficiently deliveres this one great meal time after time, from decade to decade. My first visit to Cafe de Paris was in summer 1990. Since then, almost every time I visit Geneva, especially if travelling with friends or colleagues, I simply must have this entrecote again. The price has increased quite a lot over these years, but since the place was full on a thursday evening off season, the price is obviously quite well on market balance.

There are newer reviews for Chez Boubier Cafe de Paris

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Even by Geneva standards this was on the pricey side. Having said that we did have some great steak, nice and bleu just the way I like it. Chips were brilliant too, cooked to perfection.
We went in with no reservations, and though the place was very busy (on a cold, damp Thursday in November), we got seated quickly, and contrary to some of the comments I've noted here, our waitress was very attentive and friendly. The only choice is steak, so it's basically a matter of specifying what we wanted to drink and the 'cuisson' of the steak.
So, for two steak frites, two bottles of wine, a couple of beers and desserts for two was 160CHF, or around 66EUR a head.
There was a reason this was packed on a wet November night. :-)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were passing through Geneva on a warm September early evening, and stopped here for a beer and a steak frites (literally the only thing they serve.) Despite being nearly empty, about five minutes passed before our server showed up to take our order. I think they just assumed we wouldn't be interested in their only menu item, and why should we, given how insecure and defeated the staff clearly feels about what they are serving? This place is literally a waste of space on an otherwise fun pedestrian avenue. It's a mere shadow of it's former self, and no longer worth a stop.

Weak, disinterested service

Reviewed October 25, 2013

That's my answer when someone says "Let's go to Cafe de Paris". It seems like there is something magical about these entrecot places in Geneva, and quite frankly, the only thing magical is how high the price can get. The steak is fair, at best, ok, they have GREAT french fries, but the wine is overpriced as well as other items on the menu. I've been there about 5 times over the last 15 years during trips to Geneva (mostly due to peer pressure) and I still am not sure what is so great about it. So, if you must go, go. Just be prepared to know that objectively, this place is really just average.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The menu consists only of one choice--entrecote et frites- which is steak and fries [all the fries you can eat]
It was tasty and abundant and worth the money.