“While the food was wonderful, the service was chaotic at best.”
Review of L'incontro

L'incontro
Ranked #1,399 of 1,786 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2011

On a rainy Friday evening, my partner and I ventured around the lake to Geneva in search of good italian. I don't remember if it was online or from our hotel that we learned of L'incontro, but we were told it had the best italian in the city. We easily located the restaurant, but circled about 6 times before locating a parking space which was to be expected on a busy Friday evening.

Unfortunately, due to the rain, the outside seating area was soaked and unavailable. The inside seating was cozy and warm, reminiscent of a NYC trattoria. I'm not sure if it was because of the rain or because it was fairly early that the place was fairly empty. We were greated warmly and shown to a two-top with a wooden banquette and given menus. What happened next was straight out of a keystone cops movie.

You would think that since their outdoor seating area was "closed" that the 8 - 10 waiters standing about would be sufficient to serve the two of us. Unfortunately, no. We order 2 drinks a pasta and a pizza. It took 3 tries to get the correct drinks delivered to our table (a coke and house red) and as many to get the food correctly. The penne arribiata was very nice,but a bit too al dente for my liking. The pizza Mediterraneo was divine - baby shrimp, clams, and fresh tuna over a white sauce & parmesan. The crust was crispy on the outside yet tender and pillowy on the inside. The only one who clearly knew what he was doing was the pizza chef! We managed to get coffees and a triamisu after dinner, but even that took a good 20 minutes.

The check was the only thing which arrived in a timely fashion, but it, too, was wrong. While I should have paid the 35 franc bill, I couldn't live with myself for being dishonest. After what seemed to be another half an hour and after much discussion between the staff, we were presented with a correct bill. We paid and left, full and somewhat amused by the comedy of errors we'd just experienced. If this had happened at home I probably wouldn't have been so amused, but they got me in a good mood I guess.

Bottom line, don't expect much by the way of service, but if you can sit back and enjoy the comedy of errors in service, give L'incontro a shot. The food was very tasty.

1  Thank TresOrena

Reviewed June 11, 2011

I rate pizzas on the basis of their simplest one, ie, Margerita. This restaurant has the best pizzas in all of Geneva. Try the simple Margeritta with mozzarella di bufala. Delicious. The pastas are also excellent but am too busy choosing pizza over anything else to really try them.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

If you go to the restaurant you have to try the penne Silciliana. Unfortunately the service is not welcoming nor really nice. "Like they don't want you to be there". I will not go back.

1  Thank rivegauche111
Reviewed December 15, 2009

If you are looking for an easy Italian, this is not a bad one. You enjoy pizza or pasta; both good. Easy going.

1  Thank Karagoz
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Good pizza and Italian restaurant nearby the theatre. The drinks are a bit too expensive, but food is very good.