“Perfect 21st Anniversary Meal”
Review of Cafe du Soleil

Cafe du Soleil
Ranked #26 of 1,832 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Le Café du Soleil is one of the oldest restaurant in Geneva (around 400 years old), well known for serving the best fondue and delicious malakoffs. Our restaurant also offers a varied menu to satisfy everybody and daily specials for lunch made with love. During summer, our beautiful terrace will welcome you or our air-conditionned room.
Reviewed September 11, 2016

My husband and I went to Geneva to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. As self confessed travel addicts and food lovers, we researched restaurants and were absolutely pleased with our decision based on the copious positive reviews of Cafe du Soleil. In fact, we independently researched and both came up with this restaurant! We stayed near by at the Intercontinental and so after a short six minute walk entered the cafe. We didn't make reservations and were very lucky to secure a table for two in the garden. We had read reviews that stated you must have fondue and steak-and how right they were! We began with fondue for one sharing it as an appetizer- if only they had half of one-it was generous and delicious with fresh bread, not stale. My husband had local beer which was reasonably priced and I had a glass (which ultimately was a small pitcher) of white wine. The atmosphere was warm and friendly with a lovely mix of people speaking every language under the sun! The wait staff had that wonderful mix of attentiveness with a subtle awareness of when to ask if you need anything else. Once we had finished our fondue we were presented with steak and frites-my, my, my cooked to our specifications and delicious. We would have loved to try dessert but no room, not even for coffee-it was a fabulous meal to celebrate our marriage and one we will remember for some time. Highly recommend.

Adriano D, Responsable relations clients at Cafe du Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2016

Dear LeilaSizehourglass,

We are happy to read that you chose Café du Soleil for such an important moment and happier that you had a wonderful moment there. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely review!

We hope to welcome you soon if you stop by Geneva again.

Best regards,

Adriano D.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed September 9, 2016

Located in a residential area not far from the UN, this restaurant has been operating for a few decades and is still wonderful - the best fondue, and meat dishes are delicious. Excellent desserts. The restaurant itself can get very crowded - as it is very popular, but they do have an outdoor area which is wonderful in the summer. Very international crowd. I recommend this to all tourists who would like to taste fondue! Do make sure to reserve though.

Reviewed September 5, 2016

I used to eat here quite often, while on business nearby, but I was happy to see everything remains comfortable and competent. I usually go for lunch, but afternoon coffee or drinks would also be good, especially when trying to avoid the maddening crowds.

Reviewed September 5, 2016

The concierge at our hotel recommended Cafe du Soleil as the best location in Geneva for a local restaurant with excellent fondue. The restaurant absolutely delivered.

The restaurant is located in a mainly residential area near the UN complex, easy to reach via the street car system and a short walk. There is an indoor section, an outdoor section, and what appeared to be a terrace. We were lucky enough to have an outdoor table in the garden at the front of the restaurant.

We ordered a salad, a cheese fondue, and a steak. All three were excellent; the meal was one of the best we had in Switzerland. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Geneva.

Reviewed September 4, 2016

This restaurant is in a quiet neighborhood an easy walk from the Intercontinental and just a 20 min stroll from the Ibis les Nations. (Walk through the Parc du Trembley to see the doting families with well-behaved children and better-behaved dogs.) It's great that such a wonderful restaurant is open on Sundays, when it seems like everything except the train station and the shopping mall is closed.

The staff were attentive and accommodating, finding me a table on the upstairs balcony even though I didn't have a reservation--it helps to come early in the evening. Their Caesar salad was a nice change of pace from heavily sauced meats, and the profiteroles a wonderful indulgence. Definitely a place to save room for dessert!