“More than fondues”

Ranked #7 of 1,743 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Le Café du Soleil is one of the oldest restaurant in Geneva (around 400 years old), well known for serving the best fondue and delicious malakoffs. Our restaurant also offers a varied menu to satisfy everybody and daily specials for lunch made with love. During summer, our beautiful terrace will welcome you or our air-conditionned room.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a very pleasant Friday night dinner here recently. The staff are warm and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. The cafe is best known for its fondues, which we tried. It was perfectly fine, but as I'm not really a fondue fan, it's hard to say how it ranked compared to others. I saw other tables eating steak frites which I would order the next time we go. There are salads and fish on the menu for non meat eaters. Desserts are also very good. Cafe du Soleil is a welcoming neighborhood restaurant that is not in the centre of town. I will certainly do again.

1  Thank wrightone

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my second visit in 2 weeks and confirmed my first reaction. This is a splendid Swiss restaurant, catering largely for the expat community, but in a very friendly, Genevois way. They specialise in cheese fondue which is superb but also have excellent meat dishes. I had a magnificent venison steak tonight, washed down with delicious and inexpensive Swiss wines, and enjoyed their speciality dessert of meringues with Gruyere double cream. Prices are very good by Geneva standards, and the service (well done, Benoit) is friendly and efficient.
You need to book, and you need to know they don't take cards,but with this information, you will enjoy an excellent meal.

1  Thank Bannatynescott
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I read some of the reviews on this place and decided to book online a few days before my trip to Geneva. I promptly got an email confirmation for my reservation. There was a warning that they only accept cash when I was making to the reservation so I went prepared. I was reminded again of this fact as I was entering the premises: there is a sign that states this.

The fondue was really outstanding and they have a small but decent selection of not-too-fussy Swiss wines. A couple of people in my group also tried the fish which they enjoyed. The steak on the other hand is not great, too thin, and usually slightly more cooked than your liking but this is typical for European style steak; it should not be compared to the steak you would get in a North American, South American, Australian, or South African place..... the fries were good though.

Definitely recommended for fondue and wine! The price was also extremely reasonable.

1  Thank yhelmy
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Beaware, Cafe Soliel doesn't accept credit cards. I wouldn't have been so upset except there's no signs and they don't tell you that until you go to pay. So my husband had to walk in the dark down the street to an ATM that wasn't working and then to another one to get cash. Just would have been nice is we were told upfront in some shape or form. Wouldn't go again.

3  Thank moosab1
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Switzerland is famous of their fondue so we found the restaurant by reviews. Was not disappointed at all. We took a bus to the place and it was not hard to find. Staff were attentive and the cheese fondue was in fact yummy. I only could eat several pieces of bread though as they are pretty filling for me. The restaurant has been around for quite a long time so to me, the renovation and the furniture are a bit aged. I prefer modern deco but the atmosphere here did seem very cozy.