“Excellent traditional restaurant in the Old Town”
Review of Les Armures

Les Armures
Ranked #15 of 1,735 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: Avec son ambiance chaleureuse et decontractee, le restaurant vous offre ses specialites suisses comme la raclette ou la fondue, ainsi qu'une cuisine francaise de qualite. Vous pourrez decouvrir egalement une genereuse carte de vins suisses et d'excellents produits du terroir.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Superb restaurant in the Old Town, loads of atmosphere and packed to the rafters! The first thing that hits you when you walk through the door is the aroma of cheese, cheese and more cheese as the speciality here is the local fondue or the raclette but we are not that keen on those so we had other dishes, anyway you soon get used to the cheese smell and don't even notice it. What did we eat - starters, cold tomato soup with coriander - very nice (different to Gazpacho, which is also on the menu). I had the assiette of meats, a superb very tasty plateful of assorted meats and sausages enough for two to share, but I ate the lot. Mains - we both had the Minced veal Zurich (yes, I know, we are in Geneva) style, excellent dish more like a stroganoff but made with veal in a very rich and tasty mushroom sauce with oodles of mushrooms and potato Rosti. No veggies, not even on the menu but you could have a side salad. Too full for desserts but had beer, wine, coffee and liqueurs and paid about £120.00 - a fairly typical price for a meal around here. Most people had fondue which is cheaper and maybe more traditional - a word to the unwise, if you have the cheese fondue keep away from the red wine or your stomach may regret it - experience tells!

There are newer reviews for Les Armures

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was hoping for an authentic experience and brought my seven year old daughter to Les Armures. They had a menu just for her, while I enjoyed the fondue, a rich, delectable treat that rivaled the beautiful experiences and places we visited on our four day visit. Perfectly situated in old town, it was terrific and the wait staff was attentive and friendly. I only wish we'd sat outside, but then we wouldn't have seen the shots of Bill Clinton's visit back when he clearly enjoyed cheese (pre-vegan). I wonder if he had the chocolate mousse? So good!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was told by my colleagues that this place is known by true Gene-vans to be the best place for fondue.. and I agree I thought it was very good! Staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went here with a few colleagues. It was a nice place to see a bit of traditional Swiss cuisine, but nothing really stood out at all - the food was OK, but not great, the service was just ok. But the company was great and we did introduce a few Americans to Swiss food.

And it is nice to sit outside when the weather is good. Quite atmospheric in that regard.

Not my first time here, but my first review.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner at the restaurant. If you crave for cheese fondue, then this seems to be the place. A busy small outfit in the middle of old Geneva, you won't go wrong if you stick to the basics, cheese. My lamb chops were not as tasty as I would've liked them to be. My friends ordered other stuff and they seemed satisfied. My cream of mushroom soup was not that great too. But again, our interest was to try an original Swiss fondue and this was a good place for it. The atmosphere was Ok, on the side of an alley without any view. So, if you are going for a special place to impress someone then it may not be the place, unless this someone likes non prescript places and does not care for the view -:) I would certainly recommend it if you have time and you exhausted all the fun places. One more thing, this is an expensive place...

1  Thank Ahmad A